What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Will he wear a coat at night? Sometimes the darn blanket falls off.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He has got some very fetching fleecy baby blue polka-dot pjs :lol: But the blankie does tend to stay on him - sometimes even after he's been pacing around the bedroom - so I'm not sure that's the problem.

I would say that the bedroom's pretty warm anyway but that's probably more to do with my hormones....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

It could be that the bedroom is too warm-- for not only you, but for the dog too. Most people houses are much warmer than the average dog's preference, more so in thick coated dogs like mine.

I am in the same life stage, so I have night sweats quite frequently. Annie refuses to sleep in our room with us, unless the door is wide open, and even then for only a couple of hours. (And, also like your house, DS is awake during the night so the light bothers us, so we have to have the bedroom door closed) Dottie insists on sleeping with us, but then she "squeaks" several times during the night, wanting to be let outside. Like Jasper, she probably doesn't really need to go, but she is more likely to bark at cats, and sometimes she even has the gall to just go lay on the lawn as though she's having a garden party! (Annie often wants to go out and lay on the porch-- they don't seem to understand that I want to go back to bed! :lol: ) This is more likely to happen in the winter when the heat is on (our bedroom gets way too hot with the door closed!), and of course in the summer, but it can happen year round. I can hardly wait until it gets warm enough to sleep with the windows open-- that will help. We also got a fan for the summer and fall, to help disperse the cool air from the vent. Dottie doesn't really like it blowing on her, so she will go sleep in the bathroom, but it does help her to sleep with fewer interruptions.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Fundog wrote:It could be that the bedroom is too warm-- for not only you, but for the dog too.
OH would disagree - he's in thick pjs, with a winter quilt & extra blanket while in in a tiny summer nightie sticking limbs out and suffering because he's fluffed the quilt up again :lol: It's 15.5c (60f) in here at the moment and I'm thinking I can hang on without putting the heating on till at least after 2nd dog walk. I'll say one thing for hormones, they save a fortune in leccy bills :lol:

I was planning in dehydrating some chicken strips overnight but that's bound to set Jasper whining in the night so I may do them tomorrow instead.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Our bedroom gets too hot for our dogs too, especially Sky. She will usually just go downstairs where it is cooler

Dogs had an exciting day today. Oldest came over and took them out for an extra walk. They only did one loop around the park. He reported that Sirius seemed tired so they didn't go home the long way around the block. I suspect that Sirius was hot as the temp was about 70 F today and Oldest took them out at peak heat time. They still have their winter coats on. Sky is starting to blow a bit, but Sirius normally blows about a month after Sky does.

The only tiredness that I noticed on their evening walk was with OH. Dogs only got one loop around the park this evening also. Once time changes we will probably start driving further for our walk as the local parks will become crowded with ball practices and other fair weather types. We had to do a fair amount of dodging the past couple of nights.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

MPbandmom wrote:Our bedroom gets too hot for our dogs too
..Gosh if only I had that problem..OH won't have the heating on in the bedroom...and we live in an old house complete with original windows (OH's pride and joy :roll: )

So I went to the post office this morning to send off Hattie's poop to wormcount....there's obviously some kind of security protocol these days, as the guy asks me, can i ask what is in the package?
Me: er....a canine fecal sample.
Guy stares at me. He asks, Is it valuable? :shock:
I stare back. Er no :lol:

I'll be back there later once Mostyn has done his daily poop, the guy is going to think I'm nuts :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

katej215 wrote:Me: er....a canine fecal sample.
You must be posher than me, Kate, I say 'dog poo' :lol:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

After reading the last few posts, I'm beginning to miss Karma! Karma used to sleep with me and keep me warm until she became too warm and got down on the floor. That part wasn't too bad, but what she did was pulled the blanket off of me! :lol:

I've been dog sitting another one of my friend's dogs while they're on trip. They didn't tell me it was going to be their Chow, Chloe, and they didn't tell me that Chloe farts all night when she's sleeping! :oops: I wonder what they're feeding this dog! :shock:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta would cuddle up next to me while I did pre-sleep-time reading and then sleep on the floor for most of the night. After the Big Shave, he was cold and would curl up next to me (and I'd put a blanket over him). Now he doesn't want a blanket but does still sleep the whole night curled up right next to me in some fashion. :)

Though it may also have had something to do with his neck injury...the first few nights of that he was determined to be right next to me at night too. Eventually he decided it was easier to sleep near my feet as the mattress on the floor was a twin size and didn't leave much room for him near my upper body, even when I slept on the edge of it and on my side.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So i was inspired by an article that victoria shared on facebook to start using a stop and sniff as a reward for bax when we're loose leash training. He gets stop and sniff walks but it was kind of awesome to use it as a reward for when we were training. seeing him go bounding off into the weeds after a particularly good bout of loose leash walking was a great feeling. (for him too i imagine :lol: )

Lately he's been obsessed with carrying trash while he loose leash walks. (I swear he's part retriever). today he carried a bacon swiss cheese wrapper with him for 1.5 miles. Perfect loose leash walking while he's carrying it. i tried to stop and give him a sniff reward and he looked at me like i was crazy. I'm thinking about giving him a squeaky ball to carry while we walk cause I've never seen him walk so well as when he's carrying something. Normally he goes nuts when we get close to home, tugging, straining, jumping on me. Nope, very calm, very careful, all the way inside. I felt bad swapping him for it but i didn't want him to eat the plastic :(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Not a squeaky toy because the noise will excite him. Try a rope tugger to carry instead :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Hahaha wish id read this a day ago, favorite squeaky toy in the world was WAAAYYYY to much for him. Later that day i tried a super boring tennis ball and even that was a fabulous toy that he chucked all over the road. Oh well, it's the thought that counts :roll:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta got a haircut today! :) I feel like his shaved ears really helped him keep cooler last summer, so I did that again, and trimmed up his head poof. He went from this:

to this:

(and compare to him a few months ago:

Image)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Wow he looks completely different again! With the top pictures, he always remind me of Einstein :)
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Dat poof though :lol:

he's adorable!!