What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Shivering is a common presentation in a highly-aroused terrier. They get so full of adrenaline they tremble so hard their teeth almost rattle.

I hope your behaviourist is able to help you both. :) Don't forget they are not God (not even me :lol: ) and if something doesn't sound right to you or you don't feel at one with the behaviourist's ideas, you don't have to do what they say. Similarly if you don't understand something, ask. We never mind explaining something in further detail.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Today's been up and down...Took Delta for a beautiful walk in the shorts-and-a-t-shirt weather we're currently having. We went out to a nice 3 mile trail, which was a challenge for both of us...after his neck and my pneumonia, we're having to slowly up our exercise again. It wasn't "oh my goodness let's never do that again" but it was "whooee, I'm tired! It'll be nice to rest now" at the end. :)

Of course, we got back, and within about ten seconds of walking in the door, oldest sister was biting my head off for not making small talk with her when she was using her "you're a kindergartener who doesn't understand big words" voice. (And then ten minutes later, she was almost perfectly polite when she needed help with the washing machine...)

But nice surprise this afternoon, she seems to *touch wood* be moving out for a bit? I know she'd discussed moving in with our cousin and aunt (the aunt is not the cousin's mother) and maybe she has now. She took Biggie with her this time. :)

So Delta got to walk freely around the house while I made my dinner! He'll be happy that he's not constantly leashed or closed in one of two rooms. I'll be happy not to have to watch where I walk to avoid stepping in puddles of pee or piles of poo - Biggie isn't very well house trained.

I signed up for a CGC/CLASS BA prep class with Delta. The instructor thinks we may be a bit too advanced for the class...oops? She thinks she can make it challenging though, and there are a few exercises we'll need to practice.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Hopefully the behaviorist can help Bax.

I'm glad to hear things are settling down for you Erica.

We took the dogs out to the battlefield yesterday for a short walk. Oh's back has been bothering him again and with the snow and nasty weather of late we are all a bit out of shape. :( The path where we went is one mile out and back and paved. We saw a few other dogs and took to the field beside the trail and passed with minimal grumbling or whining on our dogs' parts. :D The walk out was very pleasant and we walked on in the field a bit beyond the paved trail. On the way back, the wind kicked up. I had to hold onto my hat to keep it from blowing off and OH had to chase his down a time or two. By the time I got back to the car I felt like I had just completed a much longer walk. I don't know what the wind speed was. I wouldn't say it was all that strong. It wasn't pushing me backwards or anything. I was carrying extra water weight though as OH decided he didn't feel up to carrying his usual bag of water for Sirius and himself.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Enjoy that freedom while it lasts, Erica. And congratulations on being "too advanced" for the class you want to take! :lol:

Yesterday while walking Dottie I came to a sudden realization: when we got her, and for several years, she would bark and shy away at anything strange on the ground: a child's jacket, a sock, a plastic cup, a candy wrapper, etc. But now-- and I don't know exactly when this transformation took place, as it happened without me noticing-- she wants to go over and investigate! A dropped glove and an empty beer bottle are the most recent examples that I just noticed. And yesterday is when it dawned on me, and I had to ask myself, "hey when did this start happening?" :shock: :D

I also brushed out Annie's "pants" really well (surprisingly, they weren't matted at all, so it was quick and easy)-- her legs were so fluffy she looked like she was ready to go to a disco. (I wish I had taken a picture) :lol: :lol: :lol: It looks so awesome when she's brushed out like that, I keep changing my mind about trading those long "pants" in for a "mini skirt." :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So my dad came home from australia a few days ago(he's been gone a month). Bax's barking was bothering him so he declared that positive training definitely doesn't work if i haven't fixed it by now and proceeded to chase bax around the house snapping his fingers at him and shouting "hey" every time bax stopped to bark. Bax eventually stopped barking (head down, ears down, lip licking, tail down) and dad counted it a victory. he has given me a few weeks with the behaviorist before he's getting bax a shock collar. As i still live in the house with him and they pay my bills, i have no choice.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Shalista, that sucks :( If he does get the collar, you could secretly remove the battery or otherwise disable it...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It does indeed suck. How very upsetting for you.

The collar should be easy to disable :twisted:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

(((Hugs)))), Shalista :(

I'm going to be pragmatic here, even if I'm going to go against forum policy....

At the moment, Bax seems very stressed and not very happy, and the whole household is affected. You have tried everything recommended by positive trainers, you've changed his diet, you've spoken to vets and tried medication. If the behaviourist doesn't help (and I'm really hoping they do), what options are you left with?

I would start researching now into the least damaging methods of using shock/vibrate/anti-bark collars, along with the least damaging type of collar (presumably vibrate or beep rather than shock). In an ideal world, Bax would learn that every time he barked, something just a little unpleasant happened, and so he will control his barking (as he did with your dad). That doesn't deal with the underlying stress - it will undoubtedly increase it. But, once peace reigns, you can reward him for the apparently calm behaviour. And as the barking becomes less of a habit, he gets more positive attention and everyone is more relaxed, and he may just begin to relax too. I'd have thought that this is at least better than being shouted at repeatedly by people. Again, in an ideal world, it should work in the same way a child learns not to touch a hot radiator.

There are all sorts of ways in which this can go wrong, particularly when used on a stresshead rather than a laid back dog who takes everything in their stride. But if you have no other option, it's best to try to make it go as well as it possibly can.

Puts flame-proof hat on...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

We finally got around to trimming up the girls' bum fur, and on Dottie, all the mats and pine needles collected in her chest and feathers today.

Poor Annie, she shook like a leaf-- I hurried to get her done as quickly as possible.

Dottie, on the other hand was sooo good-- Mr. Fundog held her head in his lap and just stroked her and said nice things to her to keep her calm while I busied myself at her "nether regions" and trimmed up her hind paws. Then, I rubbed Dottie's belly while Mr. Fundog took all the pine collections out of her chest and front leg feathers, and trimmed up her front paws. Lol, when we told her we were done and she could get up, she just lay there and didn't move! :lol:

It was a bit of a "hack job," a far cry from what a professional groomer would do, but they do look tidier and it will help to keep them clean.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I heard Jasper whining from the kitchen today and went in to find him with his head stretched up onto the chopping board on the worktop, nose just an inch away from a bit of bread smaller than the nail on my little finger. He could have just stuck his tongue out to reach it but no, he chose to ask if he could have it, bless his little cotton socks :D

This doesn't mean he's a reformed character - if it was a sandwich or a loaf of bread he'd have grabbed it and made off, because he knows there's no way I'd have given him that :lol: But it does go to show how allowing your dog to communicate and being the owner who likes to say yes allows some nice polite behaviours to develop of their own accord.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta's feeling better today xD Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed again...well, his tail isn't bushy. Bushy-eared. That'll do. :P

Youngest sister is home from college and, about 24 hours afterwards, is already finding reasons to be out of the house and not take oldest sister with her. :lol: I start dogsitting Maddie today so I'll be leaving the key where Youngest Sister can find it and use it if she wants to leave but doesn't want to go out in public. I will also be spending time at Maddie's house, hiding from oldest sister just to keep the pup company.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

JudyN wrote: it does go to show how allowing your dog to communicate and being the owner who likes to say yes allows some nice polite behaviours to develop of their own accord.
.....or not :lol: I love that Hattie asks....tho we have created a bit of a monster, as we always give in to her hilarious asking..usually a whole range of funny vocalisations based on rerring, gurgling and groaning whilst bustling about and maintaining full on eye contact! Mostyn, our rescue lad is learning to ask too...at first he'd just look on at Hattie, knowing something was happening but not knowing what! The other day though he did ask. I always give them a chew after their food in the evening, usually Hattie will come in and ask..but for some reason she was otherwise occupied, so i didn't give it a thought. Anyway when I sat down, Mostyn came over and politely sat next to me, staring up into my eyes....I wondered at first what he was doing (not a usual behaviour for him), then I realised they hadn't had their chews!!! I felt so touched that he asked...i think it's such a special part of a relationship with an animal. :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aw :D

OH is a softie - he will leave bits of food on his plate and take them over to Jasper's bed so Jasper doesn't have to get up. Now, if I put my plate on the floor next to me, Jasper will look at OH and whine for OH to bring it over. It actually works sometimes too :lol:

Though when he was really tired the other day and on the sofa with his head hanging off in true lurcher style, I did take pity on him and not only took my plate over but held it up so he didn't have to move at all.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

This afternoon we braved the masses and went for a walk with both dogs. There's a huge wood-ish area leading from a hotel and the zoo all the way out to neighbouring villages (we've never been that far yet) and it has some wonderful walks. We were slightly concerned it would be busy but chose the area because it has so many options to avoid dogs.

We were successful in our avoidance and MiMi got to happily look at some without anyone barrelling over. We did have a moment where we were concerned about one dog, it came up the path and made a beeline itself at another dog all before we even caught sight of an owner and it did then look at us as if considering it but then decided not to. I was very proud of MiMi for keeping her head, there were a couple of token barks but it wasn't her stressed out and telling it off bark and she happily looked away for a fuss.

I was also, once again, amazed at her accidental recall. I've never taught her a recall but recall Laufey to a whistle and she has learnt that whistle means treat and comes running over too because she doesn't want to miss out. I hope that one day she will be in a position to really use her recall because she is adorable when she gets excited and comes over :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sigh... Jasper's going through a phase of whining on and off for the best part of an hour in the night. It started a few nights ago when he chose to sleep downstairs, and barked to get my attention in the night, so I let him out. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to go out - if I ignore him he stops eventually and goes through till morning - but if I give him the benefit of the doubt he'll belt down the garden, bark at monsters, and not come back in for ages.

I thought maybe he was cold so tucked him in under a blanket last night but it made no difference.