What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Erica »

minkee wrote:
Nettle wrote:"if we had you neutered would you stop being afraid of my dog?"
:lol: :lol:

I wish I had the balls to use that line next time someone gave me the frowny face about Breeze's
same :lol: Delta's fluffy enough that people don't normally notice though, so I don't get flack often.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

minkee wrote:I wish I had the balls to use that line next time someone gave me the frowny face about Breeze's
:lol:

Bear in mind they might be thinking 'Oh damn, now my dog's going to kick off.' I often ask people if their dog is unneutered and they can be quite defensive - it's hard convincing them that I'm not blaming them for my dog's misbehaviour.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We had a trip to the vet this morning as I found a lump on Jasper's back yesterday. I was pretty sure it was just a fatty lump (though didn't mention it to OH as he was more likely to worry) and the vet agreed - though she also said he could have had a knock, which would make sense after he went AWOL in the New Forest on Sunday and came back with a few scuffs. I didn't think that a lump resulting from a knock would feel so separate from the underlying tissue though. Either way, it doesn't warrant further investigation unless it grows.

She also gave me some Metacam to keep in for those times he seems to get stiff - he has a pattern of moving beautifully all day, but stiffening up after his evening doze. He also cried out when getting off the bed on Monday evening so he'd tweaked something. But I'm dubious about using Metacam to cover symptoms - I'm thinking of trying out a physio a friend recommended and asking if we can have a consultation on the heath, so she can see his movement when he's relaxed, he won't be suspicious when we talk and look at him, and if she gives him enough sausage he will think she's his new best friend and not tense every muscle when she puts her hands on him. That's the plan, anyway...

Oh, and though he was nervous while she examined him, he wasn't nervous enough to stop him eating liver cake the whole time :D :D :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I don't blame you for being hesitant to use metacam-- or any manufactured pharamaceutical, for that matter. In addition to consulting with a physio therapist, see if you can find a certified herbal practitioner. (A veterinary herbalist is even more preferable) There are several herbs out there that help with the minor daily aches and pains of aging, and are mild enough to have little to no side effects. One such plant that I grow in my own garden is called Feverfew. It's related to the chrysanthemums, and works a lot like aspirin, but without the stomach irritation and risk of internal bleeding. It's also a pretty perennial, and resistant to predatory insects. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I definitely think everyone should use that response the next time someone says something so ridiculous. Although, you could also just say they're not his balls at all - I once had a lady say (with such clear judgement) "oh so he's not neutered then" whilst Laufey was on his back having his belly rubbed by her and proudly displaying his lack of balls. I think there's just no educating some people :roll: It's definitely easier with a girl because there's nothing to see!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm sitting in the study working, and Jasper has just presented me with a wet dishcloth. Not only do I not want a soggy dishcloth which I didn't ask for, but it's also proof that he has been counter surfing.

So why did I thank him kindly and give him a treat? :lol:
minkee

Post by minkee »

JudyN wrote:
minkee wrote:I wish I had the balls to use that line next time someone gave me the frowny face about Breeze's
:lol:

Bear in mind they might be thinking 'Oh damn, now my dog's going to kick off.' I often ask people if their dog is unneutered and they can be quite defensive - it's hard convincing them that I'm not blaming them for my dog's misbehaviour.
This is usually family members without any dogs! ¬__________¬
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

It was a few weeks ago now that I took this video but I has problems uploading it. Here's Laufey (with bonus MiMi feature) playing fetch in the dark https://youtu.be/YctrCs5RYEQ. There was slightly more visibility in person and I'd only do it somewhere I was extremely familiar but he seems to enjoy it on the days that we can't get out when it's light
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

delladooo wrote:It was a few weeks ago now that I took this video. Here's Laufey (with bonus MiMi feature) playing fetch in the dark.
Sky absolutely LOVES her glow ball. The little lights flashing around are very cute. I need to get something like that for my two since we have signed up for a 30 minutes a day for 30 days challenge. It hasn't been a problem so far, but with time changing next weekend, lights would definitely be a bonus.

OH and I have continued walking the dogs various places and OH has continued passing treats out to Sirius as appropriate for when she sees people, or hears people, or sees other dogs, or just stops and sits right in front of him giving her, "I'm too cute to resist and you want to give me a treat." look.

Sky has always been a challenge in the treat area when out and about. Because of her anxiety/excitability, she generally won't take treats, even dehydrated real meat. We mainly have beef liver or pork loin as dehydrated treats. OH usually tries to share with Sky, but it has been pretty hit or miss with her.

This past couple of weeks, she has seemed to be coming around, and this past week it was very obvious that there has been a change. Where before OH would have to coax her to come over and get a treat, which she may or may not eat, she is now hearing him take the treat bag out of his pouch, and walking over to him to ask for her share. I hope this means she is feeling more comfortable and confident from all of our dog dodging. It is so refreshing and joyous to see her blossom in this manner. :D :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ah, how lovely, MPB! :D shows too that she is beginning to trust OH.

Delladoo, that is so cute :lol: what a clever chap you have in Laufey, and the bonus MiMi feature is irresistable.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I can't take all the credit, it was Erica who recommended the light brand after I spent all last winter trying to find ones that didn't die. So far I'm extremely impressed with them and leave them attached the their harness even when they're not on.

It sounds like Sky is coming on brilliantly MPB, you should be very proud of all of the work you and OH have put in, it sounds like it's really paying off.

Nettle don't be saying that too loudly, you'll inflate his little head even more! :lol: He definitely seems to know he's clever and loves to use it to his advantage. I love featuring MiMi in anything, she is just really funny without meaning to be. Usually because she has something stuck in her fur :lol: SHe still needs a lot of work but is now eating out of her bowl on her own (I am really impressed and mum is putting it down to being able to pick her own bowl) and with much more vigilance on our part and making a point to avoid all off lead prone spaces she's doing very well, I only hope we manage to get it to continue
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I was supposed to be going out watching OH's band this evening... We have a note on the door saying 'SORRY - anxious dog. No trick or treaters please', but there were also some fireworks around and Jasper wasn't happy. DS2 was going to dogsit but there are times when a dog needs his mummy, so I'm all dressed up in my rock chick gear and watching Strictly Come Dancing instead. Jasper is on the other sofa looking completely relaxed, but it wasn't worth the risk of him getting upset. He could either have a major SA setback or become more fearful of fireworks... or both :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I empathise - I am sitting up late (for me) every night now because Babydog is terrified of fireworks. Firework letty-off people would be horrified if they knew how much I hate them. :evil: It's probably ruining my kharma.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm sure you've got karma to spare, Nettle :wink: Poor Babydog :( Jasper is just anxious, really. Though what he'll be like by this time next weekend I don't know. OH and I will probably be forced to share a sofa as he's happier on one than on the floor or his bed. Oh, the sacrifices we have to make :lol:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

And we in the U.S. think we have it bad in July! It varies from state to state, of course, but most states have a restricted window of time in which fireworks are allowed to be let off. Here in my town, for example, fireworks are allowed only on July 4, and there is a curfew of Midnight, in which all fireworks must be silenced (a Sherriff's Deputy goes driving around telling everyone it's bedtime, lol) because this is a 24/7 working culture, and people are being deprived of their sleep for all the noise. A lot of towns in the desert states have actually banned fireworks due to extreme fire hazard. Only the fire department is allowed to put on a public display in those particular towns.

So for us, it wasn't too bad. Dottie hid in our master bedroom closet, and the poor baby being too frightened to go outside ended up wetting herself. (We don't have carpet, though, so it's okay) Annie just laid in her spot under the desk, looking only slightly bothered. We were insensitive and went to a party. Once the city's display was over (it only lasts an hour), it was fairly quiet here.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.