What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by gwd »

Erica wrote: he pees on his front legs and his chest and the short fur will hopefully be easier to spot clean;
You might want to try leaving a little length on he weenie.............. then the hair channels the urine down instead of letting the stream hit the front parts.
Erica

Post by Erica »

...I'll try that next time :lol: too late now. It sounds like a good idea!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
gwd

Post by gwd »

Erica wrote:...I'll try that next time :lol: too late now. It sounds like a good idea!
May or may not work............... but worth a try, eh? You might like Chris Christensen waterless shampoo. I use it on boy dog when I comb him out at night. One or two squirts is all I use and even though it's 'no-rinse" I take a wet microfiber cloth and kind of semi-rinse wipe his weenie ..........crunchy isn't nice when your petting tummies!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oooh, I will definitely look into that! Sounds very useful :) His legs are still in the danger zone, but he's noticing when he's peeing on them now, so maybe he'll figure out that he needs to keep his back flat and not arched up...

He looks very ridiculous at the moment, haha. I took his front legs and stomach down to 3/8" ish and his back legs down to 1/2" I think. I haven't had time to do his body yet with getting ready for company today and feeling very ill yesterday...so his body is still all floof. He reminds me of the horse from Mulan, teensy skinny long legs, chunky body, thick neck, pointy face! He looks like a different dog with a shaved face instead of a fluffy one :)

Oh hey here's a picture!

Happy Easter to those celebrating it, and to everyone else I hope you have a beautiful Sunday!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Awwww he does look ridiculous but in the best of ways!

Today, our local rspca were doing a fund raiser at Lytham Hall who were independently doing an easter egg hunt. As we volunteer with them and they know us well, we were asked if we would take a couple of our rabbits down in an effort to help with awareness. They weren't being held but could be stroked and they did amazingly. There were quite a lot of dogs there but they're not phased by that (our girl allowed a dog to sniff her nose and then turned her back on it to go back to eating). We didn't take our dogs, partly because two dogs and two rabbits would have been far too much to try and wrangle and partly because there were far too many people and other dogs for them to be comfortable.

I mention this because mum and I spent most of the day dog watching and offering our own private commentary on their owners. The "winner" was the owner of a very happy bedlington who wasn't phased, overly interested in the rabbits or in the way. It was in a very smart harness and lead and we got to say hi. Conversely, the "loser" was a little terrier (jr?) on a collar and flexi lead who essentially wandered around on its own for all the attention being paid to it and it was very interested in wandering all around the rabbit run and got caught on a post keeping the run in one piece. We also saw various other dogs including one I can't name a breed (any clues!) it was very like an overly large cardigan corgi; a solid chocolate colour and nearly knee hight at the top of its head :? either way it was a very good looking dog and the owner had both a short lead and a flexi which she alternated depending on if they were out in a field or near all the people
Erica

Post by Erica »

Aww, bunnies! :) Could the mystery dog have been a Sussex Spaniel? Corgi mixes are also very popular (people seem to love "ooh it's a/n (insert popular breed here)...BUT WITH SHORT LEGS!"), so it could easily have been a cross.

I got a nice surprise today. My cousin brought her elderly dog over, and her husband came as well. I haven't seen her hubby for years, as they used to live very far away. But as we were standing at the chips station eating, the husband started talking about how I feed Delta raw! Turns out he would like to feed the old pup raw, but she's allergic/intolerant to a lot of red meats, so they feed her a dehydrated fish dog food, and supplement with poultry boney parts for teeth cleaning. Valentine has nice teeth, though a few were missing; when they first got her, her teeth were terrible and the vet was planning on pulling several of them (some fell out on their own). The husband decided to try feeding her raw meaty bones for a bit, and within weeks they saw great improvement. :D I didn't inspect her teeth closely but from the ones I saw just observing her, they were very nice for an old dog! Not bright white, but there weren't the usual tartar stains you see at the base of the teeth.

Just nice to meet new people who have done their research on dogs. :)

Delta was either in his room or on a leash while people were over and food was on the counter. Our youngest family member is still very small, barely taller than Delta! She started out scared of him and she didn't really know how to pet him (she tried patting him on the nose...not the muzzle, the shiny wet black nose!). But once I showed her that he could give me a high-five, she was a bit braver and followed my instructions/demonstrations on stroking him gently on the body. Her parents were also very attentive when she was near any of the dogs and would remind her how to be gentle with them.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it, and I hope everyone had a beautiful day regardless!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Look who just got their newest trick dog titles :)

http://youtu.be/nJabCTUPh1M

http://youtu.be/lpFA3t1_9tY

Some of the tricks aren't great quality, but wanted to get it done before baby arrives, and we've had a lot of other stuff going on in the mean time!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

bendog wrote:Look who just got their newest trick dog titles :)

http://youtu.be/nJabCTUPh1M

http://youtu.be/lpFA3t1_9tY

Some of the tricks aren't great quality, but wanted to get it done before baby arrives, and we've had a lot of other stuff going on in the mean time!
Aww they're very cute! I'll definitely have to steal a few of those to work on with Laufey

Erica wrote:Aww, bunnies! :) Could the mystery dog have been a Sussex Spaniel? Corgi mixes are also very popular (people seem to love "ooh it's a/n (insert popular breed here)...BUT WITH SHORT LEGS!"), so it could easily have been a cross.
It was sort of Sussex Spaniel size but it's head was all german shepherd, as was its tail and coat, either way it was a lovely looking dog.
bendog

Post by bendog »

It's for the Nando Brown, In the Doghouse trick dog titles, there are different levels and you have to choose tricks from each level to pass, you should have a look and give it a go! I've found it a great way to keep me motivated to do individual training with the dogs and the way the levels are laid out means it's easy to pick which trick to work on next!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

ooo I'll definitely take a look, it won't be long now until after my exams and then I should have all the time in the world to do things with him :mrgreen:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

[brag warning]

On the way back from our afternoon walk today I waited outside a shop with Jasper while OH popped in to buy a few things. One man came over to ask me if Jasper was a 'genuine something'. I told him he was a genuine lurcher, but he didn't know what a lurcher was so I explained. He was taken aback when I said he was a crossbreed - because you could tell by looking he was a special dog. Oh yes, I replied, he's very special :lol:

A moment later another man came over, exclaiming about what a smashing, beautiful dog he was.

[ /brag]

If only I had this ability to attract strange men :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Judy there's an ad on TV that has a dog very like Jasper in it! I didn't catch what it was for as I only saw the very end of it but I'll keep an eye out and see if I can get a link to it!

I've been doing a bit more work with Honey's camera shyness as although she was much better about it I realised 2 things, 1. she was not ok with it up close. 2. I look very different when I actully taking a pic than I do when I faking taking a pic for training!

So I've been trying to both take a pic and reward Honey for her proximity to the camera which results some ahem interesting shots.... (Can anyone help with why this is so huge pleeeese??!)

But it also gets some pretty pics like this :D (no zoom here!)

Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

She is absolutely lovely! I can't help with the pictures being big though :? I think they're all like that?

It was a funny old day at work and the way it fell meant that Laufey didn't get his afternoon pee walk so I took him as soon as I got in, but my tea was very nearly ready so I only took him to the end of the road where the flats are as we were going on a proper walk after tea. Some woman who apparently lives in the flats very clearly informed me that it is in fact private property and I am in no way welcome. I should use my own garden and the park. I have no idea what her problem is - none of the residents of the flats use the grass as a garden as they couldn't - it is literally a grass verge on the side of the parking spaces - and whilst there is a sign saying no parking there is nothing to imply that I'm not allowed round there and the only dog related sign is one telling you to pick up after them which is the same sign as on every street. BUT whilst this lady was telling me to pootle off elsewhere, Laufey did his pee anyway, once he'd peed we left. On a side note, what really annoyed me about the situation is that a) I'm pretty sure one of the residents has a dog and b) I know at least one other non-resident who uses it :roll:

After tea we did go to the park and play ball and we saw the boxer I met a couple of weeks ago - he's stunning, about 5/6 months, boisterous and very much reminds me of Laufey at that age which did lead me to feel very proud as Laufey didn't once go over and made a nightmare of himself :mrgreen: The boxer approached MiMi when he was on lead and they had a sniff which lead to MiMi retreating behind mum when he seemed to get a but much and when he came over to Laufey and he was offlead, he did get too much for Laufey who was very good and came over to me and got "rescued". When we thought they'd moved on but the puppy came launching himself back at us Laufey was very good in doing the same thing again. He's really was a lovely dog, just too much energy and no-one size appropriate to play with. His owner mentioned trying to make him play fetch but he doesn't bring it back :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Be kind to the lady - the territorial instinct is very strong in humans too :wink:

Laufey sounds to be coming on well. Credit to your hard work!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

:lol: Indeed it is, I only tend to even go there when Laufey really won't move on or I'm really running late and just need him to pee anyway.

I tend to forget how far we've come but I am proud of him :mrgreen: