What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

I think it's a bloke thing - not good at multitasking :wink: Like when OH goes up in the loft to get something down and it doesn't occur to him to take up the stuff waiting to go up, because that's a different job entirely.

How do dogs make choices? This morning Jasper wanted to go to the park, but taking the route past the shops, which is the way we sometimes come back. He's never asked to go that way before, but he was quite clear about it. I did rather frogmarch him past the shops as he hadn't yet performed his morning ablutions and I didn't want him doing them right by a shop entrance :lol:

Most days he clearly makes a decision about where he wants to go, and I'd love to know whether it's a considered option where he has the chosen place in mind (so anticipating the future), or just something in the air (possibly literally) that day - a slight waft of deer/freshly baked bread in the air from one particular direction, or 'last time the weather was like this we went to the park so today we go to the park'.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Diane, I was very proud but then apparently later that evening he got a bit of the zoomies and pooped half inside and half outside :shock: I missed this one too (I was in the bath). He's still not consistent about going in the garden and will prefer to wait to go out but any progress is good :D

Judy, I'm not sure how they made choices but if I take MiMi and Laufey out, no move is made to the flats whilst he usually wants to head that way if it's just the two of us at the minute. I'd be interested in how dogs make any choices though, particularly concerning people they love.
For instance, last night mum was in bed when we went up and he went to bed with her but then came and joined me in bed a short time later (she didn't kick him out) but other times he's chosen to sleep with her. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I wanna know what he was thinking :| :mrgreen:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

delladooo wrote:Diane, I was very proud but then apparently later that evening he got a bit of the zoomies and pooped half inside and half outside :shock: I missed this one too (I was in the bath). He's still not consistent about going in the garden and will prefer to wait to go out but any progress is good :D

Judy, I'm not sure how they made choices but if I take MiMi and Laufey out, no move is made to the flats whilst he usually wants to head that way if it's just the two of us at the minute. I'd be interested in how dogs make any choices though, particularly concerning people they love.
For instance, last night mum was in bed when we went up and he went to bed with her but then came and joined me in bed a short time later (she didn't kick him out) but other times he's chosen to sleep with her. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I wanna know what he was thinking :| :mrgreen:
Delladoo,

First, of all, if he just started going into the garden, he may be exploring it and checking it out.
I have noticed that Sandy is very shy about his poohs. If there are other people around, he will hold it. Or, if I or OH directs him to a secluded area with tree or bush, or use our bodies to shield him, he will pooh.
Even in the privacy of our yard (and we have no garden to speak of just rocks and a couple of trees and bushes), Sandy will head under one of the trees to do a pooh.

I do not know if dogs feel embarrassment which Sandy's behavior seems to indicate, but it is not what I would expect from a dog. Perhaps someone could answer that one.

As to the point about going to your mom's bed and then to yours, Sandy does similar things when we sit in the living room watching TV. (He isnt allowed in the bedroom, or there would be no intimacy as Sandy has snapped at me for kissing my husband in front of him.) He has real jealousy problems. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But, OH and I have our own recliners, and Sandy will start in OH's lap, then come to me, and go back and forth after sitting with one of us for about 15-30 minutes. It is almost as if he wants to show affection to both of us. :lol:
And as soon as OH stands up for some reason, Sandy comes running to me. OH sits down and Sandy runs to him. :roll:
So, as far as Laufey dividing time between you and mum, it seens to follow similar behavior that Sandy shows with us on the recliners. So, I wouldnt read anything into it such as liking to be with one person more than the other.
It may just be their ways of showing they care for both you and mum and me and OH.

And Judy, taking Sandy out, he sometimes seems to have a preference as to which direction, too. I would guess it might have something to do with smells. May have smelled another dog or animal had passed that area recently. And, it may be due to something that occurred. I know that after our the dog of our next door neighbor in Maine came running to attack twice, Sandy had become more cautious going that direction. He peeks around the fence first as if to see if the way is clear. :shock:

And, it sometimes depends on whether my husband is or I am taking Sandy out. He seems more protective of me at 5ft and with a cane, yet, he looks to my 6ft. husband as his protector. So, that may make a difference in which direction Sandy wants to go. But, then, Sandy is much smaller than Jasper. :wink:
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Diane, I've no idea about doggy embarassement but there's not really anywhere to hide in our garden so that could be part of it. He has peed out there a couple times but I think that was the first poo :mrgreen:

As with Sandy, Laufey swaps between who to sit with too. Interestingly, MiMi doesn't so much as pick a person as pick a spot depending on if she wants fleecy blanket, fluffy blanket or the floor. A human is just an added extra :lol: the bed situation seemed particularly amusing as it's not something he's done before and (if it were me choosing) I'd probably have taken mum's bed :lol: it's possible that that's just me though as I get rather squished in mine with a dog and a cat (who knew two small animals would need more bed space than me!)
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Delladoo,

Are you sleeping in a twin size bed and mom in as larger one? It does sound crowed with a cat, too. It mist be tough changing positions. :roll:

Ironically, when we adopted Sandy (who was 1 year old at the time) that he had been in a home with a cat and obviously didn't get along. Sandy hates cats, but it is no wonder. They kept the cat and gave him up. :shock:
Their loss was our gain, though, and he is happy here with us. :D
But, the shelter had one caveat that he has to be the only animal in the family so it must have been a bad scene with the cat. :mrgreen:

It was funny when we first got Sandy. He must have adopted cat behaviors as he would play with his kibble by throwing ot in the air and pouncing on it. A friend who has many cats said he was mimicking cat behavior. :wink:
Diane
bendog

Post by bendog »

DianeLDL wrote:

I do not know if dogs feel embarrassment which Sandy's behavior seems to indicate, but it is not what I would expect from a dog. Perhaps someone could answer that one.
Not embarrassment, but safety.

Poo-ing makes a dog very vulnerable because it stops them from being easily able to run away if something comes that may be a threat, or that surprises or frightens them. So dogs will usually only go where they feel safe.

Our bed gets very crowded with 3 dogs plus me and OH, though often Charlie sleeps on his cushions on the floor most or all night so it's just Pop and Ben on the bed. Sash is crated on the landing until she wakes up usually about 5am and then we let her out for a wee and leave her to sleep downstairs for the last couple of hours. Given the choice she would be on the bed with us too but she can get aggressive if woken up suddenly so it's not safe. OH sometimes lets her up for a cuddle after I've got up in the morning and he is having a lie in.

My dogs tend to base most decisions around where/who is most likely to have food, or what is the comfiest place to sleep! But would be interesting to learn more. Animal behaviour theories suggest animals should make decisions based on the optimum survival benefits. There are foraging theories for example that use fancy formulas to predict exactly how long a bird should spend in one area looking for a worm before moving on to try somewhere else, based on resources used (ie energy) and potential resources gained etc. The birds have not read the formulas, so they are often not that accurate, but generally they will follow the same general trend. We also studied a lot about mate choice in animals at Uni, and it's fairly obvious what most animals are basing those decisions on!

But where there are no real fitness benefits to either decision eg park or Heath, it would be cool to know what's going through their little heads!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

DianeLDL wrote:Delladoo,

Are you sleeping in a twin size bed and mom in as larger one? It does sound crowed with a cat, too. It mist be tough changing positions.
Nope, we're both in doubles an (usually) we each have a cat :lol: It wouldn't be crowded if they didn't both want the same spot, which is essentially pinning me on my back and lying on my hips - I can't sleep on my back! Once we're settled it's usually fine with one in the groove by at my front and one in the groove behind my legs but sometimes I'm a fidget which becomes a challenge :lol: :lol: I don't mind sharing my bed, and I could understand being wedged at the edge if I had a giant breed but I have a small dog and a small cat and find myself sandwiched in the middle or falling off the edge :mrgreen:
bendog wrote: But where there are no real fitness benefits to either decision eg park or Heath, it would be cool to know what's going through their little heads!
The pooping makes sense but I really would love to know how non-life changing decisions are made. Sometimes I wish we could be like Dr Dolittle, it would make things much easier :P
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

delladooo wrote:Sometimes I wish we could be like Dr Dolittle, it would make things much easier :P
Same here :lol: I'd love to know why Jasper gets so upset about me taking the cat to the vet (he went for his annual check-up & booster this morning). He got very agitated when we left, and he started howling when I came back up the drive. Whether he'd also been crying the whole time I was out I don't know... it's such a shame his love for the cat is unrequited :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:Same here :lol: I'd love to know why Jasper gets so upset about me taking the cat to the vet
I'd be more interesting in knowing why he thinks you shouldn't pee in the middle of the night.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

gwd wrote:
JudyN wrote:Same here :lol: I'd love to know why Jasper gets so upset about me taking the cat to the vet
I'd be more interesting in knowing why he thinks you shouldn't pee in the middle of the night.
gwd,

I think I missed something here. What do you mean here? Am I looking at it too literally? :?:

Diane
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

gwd wrote:I'd be more interesting in knowing why he thinks you shouldn't pee in the middle of the night.
Oh I know that one - it's because there could be MONSTERS on the landing :lol:

Diane, this is something that dates back to last summer. Jasper heard a noise outside (I can't remember now if it was people shouting, a fox calling, or what) that freaked him out a bit. After he settled down, I went to get out of bed to go for a wee, and he was round my side of the bed, growling and telling me I couldn't :? It's something he's repeated a few times since, though I can put him into a firm down stay and leave the room. I also now strategically place a clothes airer so he can't get round to my side of the bed (it doesn't occur to him to go over the bed), and now he's not able to do anything about me going for a wee, he doesn't think about it - unless for any reason he's unsettled that evening.

In a nutshell, when he's in what to him is a scary situation, he tries to use his teeth to control it. I wish he'd just widdle on the carpet in fear instead :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:
gwd wrote: I wish he'd just widdle on the carpet in fear instead :lol:
He's too much of a big boy to submissive pee! Tell him I said so!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I started teaching Delta to stack rings on a child's toy a week ago, so we've had a total of about five sessions (life has been chaotic!). But the smart little bugger is already getting very solid about retrieving the ring and dropping it VERY close to the stick, and he's gotten it on the stick three times! The first two sessions were only about "target nose to stick" and "fetch ring," so this quick improvement is amazing, since I spend about two-three minutes on one subject before moving to something else. Sometimes he scares me with how sharp he is. (The tutorial I watched said "it took my dog ten sessions" and they had border collies. :shock: ) I'm going to record him tonight, so I may have a video tomorrow.

I also found a rather old phone of ours, one of the ones with the spinning dial (like the first few results if you google "old phone" and go to images). I'm going to teach him to pick up the phone and "dial" a number. :)

We went to the dog park this morning because there are not too many people there on weekdays. Delta was great. :) Some of the other dogs were rude but between the two of us we put the rules down (seriously, stop humping Delta, reddog, go away) and after that he played with his rottie friend from puppy class and a Great Dane who was there. Rottie is apparently being a growly pushy butthead sometimes but his owners respond appropriately by diving in, separating him from the dog he's bugging, time out for a bit, then throwing a ball for him to fetch. I wish they'd feed him appropriately though; he's Delta's age and has to be at least twenty pounds overweight. Eurgh.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN wrote:
gwd wrote:I'd be more interesting in knowing why he thinks you shouldn't pee in the middle of the night.
Oh I know that one - it's because there could be MONSTERS on the landing :lol:

Diane, this is something that dates back to last summer. Jasper heard a noise outside (I can't remember now if it was people shouting, a fox calling, or what) that freaked him out a bit. After he settled down, I went to get out of bed to go for a wee, and he was round my side of the bed, growling and telling me I couldn't :? It's something he's repeated a few times since, though I can put him into a firm down stay and leave the room. I also now strategically place a clothes airer so he can't get round to my side of the bed (it doesn't occur to him to go over the bed), and now he's not able to do anything about me going for a wee, he doesn't think about it - unless for any reason he's unsettled that evening.

In a nutshell, when he's in what to him is a scary situation, he tries to use his teeth to control it. I wish he'd just widdle on the carpet in fear instead :lol:
JudyN,
Thanks for the explanation. It did sound weird out of context. Now, didnt Jasper have fears of monsters in the garden before? I remember when he wouldnt go out at night. :mrgreen:

Another reason we don't let Sandy sleep in our bedroom unless in a hotel. Then, it is OH who he bugs. He seems to leave me alone. And it is just as well. I have severe dry eye, so I put ointment in my eyes when I go to sleep. So, in the middle of the night if I have to get up, I am blind and feeling my way around, bumping into furniture in strange places. So, if Sandy were next to my bed, I would either trip over him or step on him (much smaller than Jasper).

Actually, the only times Sandy has run into our bedroom when the door was opened were when the smoke detector beeps needing a new battery (which one night was really bad with 10ft high living room ceiling (and of course the smoke detector at the highest point) and OH half asleep climbing a ladder. There were two other smoke detector situaitons that I could handle also involving a ladder, but only 8 ft. :roll: :lol:

The worst was when our refrigerator died. It made a strange noise that totally freaked Sandy. That night we made up a bed on a folding chair on the wall across from the bed. The next day, I discovered that food was going bad and Sandy had alerted to the "death rattle of the refrigerator". :shock:
Once we had the new one installed, Sandy was fine.

So, I can understand about noises.
I think part of it is their acute hearing and things that don't sound normal could be scary.
Diane

PS: if any if you read my vent from last weekend about the dog who had disappeared and found close to death the next day, OH started to read from today's paper that another dog has gone missing, i wouldn't let him read the details to me. I just know the dog hasn't been found yet. It is really frightening. :evil: :twisted:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Clearly there is something about night time that makes everyone behave differently, I'm assuming it's because there's less background noise so strange noises seem louder.

Laufey was sick again last night, not hunger sick but "proper sick", twice, at 2 and 5. I'm really not sure why he's randomly sick some nights and fine others when he eats about the same time every night. I have no evidence but it occurred to me this morning that it's possibly the ribs he had as his bone so I'm going to try cutting those out for a few days and stick to chicken to see, I might also have to see about re-arranging what we feed when as bone is always in the evening so I know it will definitely be supervised without a time restraint. :? I'm still surprised I wake up though as I usually sleep through everything.

Diane, I did see your vent about the poor dog, it's awful that another one has gone missing. I saw a news article about the dog that was shot twice and tied to railway tracks which is horrific anyway but the details are just a heartbreaking display of dogs' loyalty :(