What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sweetie's Human

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Poor Jasper. I do love those photos of him after the chase though. So lucky the vet will let you stay with him.

Delladoo - I'm sorry to hear about the skin issues at your place - sounds awful.

And Erica Sweetie would love to swap a nice snuggly night in minus 12 C weather for our sticky heat 24/7. But maybe only for a few days :wink: .

Sweetie has been objecting to my reading. All attention must be focussed on her at all times.

Putting her face in my face (more attention seeking!)

And playing with her toys and making us giggle!

Sweetie's Human

How do I always end up with sideways or upside down photos?! They're the right way up in
Photobucket... :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yup - just off to one side, on a shoulder. I thought we might possibly get away with it as it looked shallow, but one edge was sort of lifted, which became clearer as the blood dried. I did think about taking a photo and asking you, Nettle, but I'd have had to pull all the hair out the way and I didn't want to fiddle with it - if it wasn't 100% clear it wouldn't be fair on you anyway.

Not looking forward to the side effects of the sedation - he cried all night long the other time he was sedated. I did stress 'as you know :wink: sighthounds react differently to other dogs' just in case there were better alternatives to what he had then.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Your photos look the right way up to me, SH - though I am halfway through a medicinal gin :lol: Sweetie is so - well - sweet!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

The photos look right to me too Sweetie, as as usual Sweetie is looking stunning :D

Laufey is not a happy bunny at the minute. His tummy looks a mess and I think it hurts him because he can't seem to get comfy - he'll be still a bit but then throw himself about before flopping down again. He's also not pooped either yesterday or today but I've heard it's normal after they've been anaesthetized so I'm not panicking yet, I'll mention it to the vet tomorrow evening if he's not gone by then. I'm just really impatient for the results now even though it's going to be a few weeks :?
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Judy,

Sorry to hear about Jasper. :o :( Poor boy. :cry:
It sounds like he had quite a deep gash. If it was from barbed wire, do they give tetanus shots to dogs? Or do dogs need it? Did Jasper get antibiotics?

Sandy had a molar removed under anesthesia, and OH was a totally nervous wreck. Good they didn't let us in there with Sandy. But as an RN, I could handle it, but my husband was absolutely bezerk. I almost had to sedate him. (Alcohol not an option for him.)

Now, Judy watch it with your medicinal gin. :wink: You might end up sleeping with Jasper in his bed. :roll:
How did Jasper do with the anesthesia this time?

I pray everything went well.
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Sweetie looks so sweet. :D :D i love the bottom photo. (I have similar problems when editing and posting with Photobucket.

Sandy also doesn't like me not only reading, but my iPad when they are on my lap where he wants to be. :lol:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Cute video Erica. JudyN I hope all goes well with Jasper and his stitches.

My dogs have been rather bored the past couple of days. Too cold, icy and windy for OH to take them to the park for an afternoon walk and I haven't tried to even get the van open as I have been trying to get into work early, in the hopes of getting off a little early and thus avoiding travel during darkness when everything really freezes up.

OH got creative earlier this week and made some pumpkin cookie dog treats, seemingly from scratch including the recipe, of which there doesn't appear to be one. The dogs absolutely love the cookies. :lol: OH started giving each dog a cookie when they would come in from outside. I think it only took one time and the dogs now come in the house and go straight to the table to wait for their cookie. :lol: :lol: Then they stand there with sad eyes hoping they will be given another one. OH said they were playing with him today. They would go out for 10 or 15 minutes, then come in for a cookie, and then 30 minutes or so later, ask to go out again, only to come back in 10 for 15 minutes later to get a cookie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They probably had good reason for not staying out any longer other than just wanting cookies though. The high today was to be 10 F with a wind chill bringing it down to about 3F. I think one weather report said -20C. While the samoyeds may thrive in this kind of weather, it is a bit chilly for my two.

Speaking of samoyeds.......PUPPIES!!!!! born within the club.(icannothaveapuppyicannothaveapuppyicannothaveapuppy) I may get to see them this weekend. In the meantime, there is live streaming video of their whelping box that I can enjoy. I really like this dam and this is her last litter. There are some others in the line that I am less enthusiastic about. Were the timing different, I would have a much harder time resisting the urge to get one of the puppies. But, I don't want a puppy to pick up the issues that my two have, so it is no puppy for now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it and repeating it to myself over and over and over. :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

JudyN, Sorry to hear about Jasper. Hope all goes well.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Sweetie's Human

Thank you ladies. She's a bit too cute sometimes! And now the photos look ther right way up for me too, but I haven't changed anything. Oh well...

MPB you'll have to ask OH to share that recipe with us.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's going to be a long day - if I'm not stroking Jasper and singing him lullabies he whines 100% of the time, if I do he just whines 50% of the time :roll:

He had to have a full anaesthetic in the end as the edges of the wound needed trimming, which meant I wasn't able to be with him, but I was with him till he finally stopped fighting the anaesthetic and went to sleep. I had intended to be there when he woke but either he woke up earlier than expected or they gave me the wrong time, thinking I'm an overprotective Mum. But he was so not with it I'm not sure me not being there made that much difference.

He's been really good at the vets - hasn't shown any aggression at all, despite being so scared :D We thought me might have problems shifting him into the operating room once the sedative had made him dozy as he wouldn't shift and was completely unresponsive to my requests to sit or stand, but as soon as I handed the lead to the vet and walked out of the room and round the corner he followed me.

I've discovered that after anaesthetics, dogs can have a bit of incontinence - so he had bits of kitchen roll strategically placed round his boy bits and now he has finally shifted to his bed I've been scrubbing the (new, of course :roll: ) carpet.

Pics of the wound here and here - I haven't displayed them in the post for the sake of any sensitive souls :wink:

I need to go & give him more cuddles now, and carefully position a few more bits of kitchen roll :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Bless him! It seems that stitches turn dogs into giant wimps. It does look rather nasty though so I can't really say as I blame him.

I'm currently waiting in for my freezer to be delivered for the dog food but nipped out before with Laufey for him to go pee and he was a HUGE BABY. I had to carry him half way down the street because "oh my god it's raining and I can't and oh no let me go back homeeeeee! geeeeez at least let me in the car!" I'm thinking he needs a bigger rain coat :roll: I just can't understand it, a few months ago rain didn't bother him and now we don't like rain, don't like big bangs, not a fan of the cold and often decides he's just going to stand and stare at something :roll:

I hope Jasper heals soon and is slightly less dramatic amount it when he gets over the initial violation of being at the vets :)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Poor Jasper that looks nasty. Though I'm sure he won't object to all the extra spoiling he'll get :wink: .
delladooo wrote: I just can't understand it, a few months ago rain didn't bother him and now we don't like rain, don't like big bangs, not a fan of the cold and often decides he's just going to stand and stare at something :roll:
It's his age delladoo.

"often decides he's just going to stand and stare at something :roll:" I can't see him doing this (obvs) but it could be fear related behaviour, Honey's fear often displays itself by a refusal to move and what "looks" like staring off in the distance. Often an acknowledgement of the "scary" and an offer to change direction will work for her these days.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

WufWuf wrote:Often an acknowledgement of the "scary" and an offer to change direction will work for her these days.
Same here :D Or I will just stand and wait and as soon as Jasper glances away from what he's fixated on and towards me I'll say 'good boy' and give him a treat.

Jasper looks a lot brighter now. He's still whining, but now I think he's whining from hunger, not having had any breakfast. I've given him a couple of small portions of minced turkey but don't want to overload his system - his tummy was making some very worrying gurgles just now :shock:

I've noticed that the vet cut his claws this morning. They probably did need doing, but the quicks are very close to the end so I can never take off much at a time and err on the side of caution (and then forget about them for too long :oops: ). I'm pretty sure she will have caught a few quicks this morning, but at least it's got the job done, he's got painkiller in his system, and he won't associate the pain with nail clipping.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Poor Jasper, hope he heals quickly and is back to his usual self soon!

I've just bought a force dryer and a grooming table, as well as a nice comb. The comb I have is a) old and has little bits of rust and bent teeth and such and b) too fine to be good for grooming Delta's curly coat (or at least, for the first go-round of a thorough groom) and well, human hair dryers do not compare to force dryers. :lol: The stuff should be here by next Thursday, which means I'll have the weekend to try it all out. Fun fun fun. :)

Delta had a playdate yesterday - I'll be taking care of a sweet, giant pit bull tomorrow. We took the dogs on a walk, let them play in the yard, and then went off-leash behind the house down to the creek there. Delta had tons of fun and wore Brother out. :D They played really well together.

Delladoo, Delta's getting to that stage too. He's grown out of puppy confidence and is in adolescent fear-stage, so new things are Very Scary and must be approached cautiously or not at all. Just keep getting him out and used to different situations (keeping it to good experiences is vital, so bring treats everywhere!) and he'll come out of it alright in time. I got Delta a bigger rainjacket recently too. It's nearly too big, but the size smaller was the same size as his old jacket (switched brands as D didn't like the hood) so up a size we went. This one might last til he's full-grown, hopefully.
Last edited by Erica on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14