What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by ScarletSci »

Pixie has been making friends with a tiny bird today, doing her first real big scary ferocious dog barking to warn off burglars, being jealous of the cat, not realising that the boxes I had stacked ready to pack belongings in are not the same as the cardboard boxes I give her to destroy, :lol: and howling desolately when I left with the parrot to take him to the vet.

I had to rescue one of my dad's pair of pair of Diamond Doves recently. Turned out they were both males, so one was pecking the hell out of the other. Since there isn't a spare aviary, I put the poor pecked boy into a cage, and dad has him in the kitchen for the winter since he's now used to the warmth and it's too cold to put him back outside. When the cage gets moved so poor diamond dove (which is about the size of a budgie) doesn't get cooked when the stove is on, Pixie can reach the cage and look at him. She is utterly fascinated and bewitched by him, and will look, but be ever so gentle. Since diamond dove is utterly unfazed by it and looks right back at her, and is only there when supervised, we've been allowing it.

When a friend was right at the side of the house earlier with my dad, and Pixie was inside with me, she heard a strangers voice where strangers are not usually there, so close to the house. Her bark is usually pretty shrill, sporadic, and almost panicky? More an alert bark than a warning bark. But she put her big girl bark on today, coupled with deep growls, and I was impressed by how much she meant it! I kind of want that response if a stranger is so close to the house and we haven't given them permission, as far as she knows. If I were a burglar, I'd have walked away from here today empty handed!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thanks Amy :D Either Jasper or I aren't very good at shaping, because his attitude would be 'Yesterday I got a treat for just lying by my bed, now you've changed your mind - nooooo, I'm all confused' :lol: And also 'You asked me to go to my bed, I've just got all comfy and now you want me to move again?'
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper has been a bit iffy about people getting too near to him/his bed when he's on it recently, leaping up and having a snark at them. This is a bit of a problem given the size of the bed and that he often sleeps with a good three foot of his front end hanging off the edge of the bed :roll: I've been working on walking past him to get to the bureau, on which I've put a pot of treats, when I think he's unlikely to snark - but also bearing in mind that if this is 'sleep aggression', I might not be able to train him out of it.

Each time, however, his reaction is slightly less. The first couple of times he leapt up at me, no mouth contact but a bit of a Grrrrr (I was facing away from him), and then started humping :lol: Then he would leap up with a snark but then look all confused. Just now, I went up to get a treat and I heard him shoot up onto his feet behind me but when I looked round he was standing there with a look on his face that said 'Oh, errr, ummm.... can I have a treat please?' :lol: It's such a reflex action with him, but he does seem to be able to control it sooner with practice.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

It's Christmas Eve in Oz already, so SweetiePug wishes everyone a very Merry Christmas ("snort ssnnnnooooorrrrrrrrrrtttt")

Ps - the spangly antlers lasted about two minutes before the grumpy face convinced me that.. err... perhaps not :lol:
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Only two more hours till Santa :) . Merry Christmas.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

It's already tomorrow in Australia? It's only today here. In any event, Merry Christmas indeed. I hope you enjoy a great one.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Sometimes I don't know what to do with this dog. We went for a pavement walk an he managed to walk into a car, a wall and me, all because he got distracted by god know what. The only time he has focus is when he can't have something and he obsesses over it... Oh and he's decided he doesn't like walking out of our street on one side but is fine on the way back. Sometimes I wish I could just hold a conversation with him, it would make things easier then when I'm talking to myself :lol:
Sweetie's Human

delladooo wrote:Sometimes I don't know what to do with this dog. We went for a pavement walk an he managed to walk into a car, a wall and me, all because he got distracted by god know what. The only time he has focus is when he can't have something and he obsesses over it...
:lol:

But he's part pug, right? Sounds completely normal to me!
Sweetie's Human

Recent discovery by Sweetie - mango season is awesome! That's because after I've cut one up for my breakfast, she gets the seed to chew on for a while.

As always, she's quickly developed a sense of entitlement :roll: and now starts badgering me the second the knife breaks the mango's skin.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Sweetie's Human wrote:
delladooo wrote:Sometimes I don't know what to do with this dog. We went for a pavement walk an he managed to walk into a car, a wall and me, all because he got distracted by god know what. The only time he has focus is when he can't have something and he obsesses over it...

aahhaha yeah he is! But I'm sure it's given him brain damage some days. Complete world of his own sometimes, bless him :lol:
Sweetie's Human

delladooo wrote:
Sweetie's Human wrote:

aahhaha yeah he is! But I'm sure it's given him brain damage some days. Complete world of his own sometimes, bless him :lol:
I swear this is what goes through Sweetie's head as she weaves her way along the footpath http://youtu.be/MA5Pjw_cZn0

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ahahaha seems about accurate. I really need to teach him some focus but I know it would mostly be fruitless and frustrating :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've been trying to wheedle some photos of Jasper's Christmas out of DS2, who has taken hundreds, but either he thinks they're rubbish and doesn't think they're worth sending me, or he wants to spend about a week Photoshopping them to perfection :roll: But he did send me this one from this morning:

Note the four paws off the ground! :lol:

The Staffie is his friend Jezebel. She has some joint problems so is wary of Jasper who likes to invite her to play with a paw on her back... though I think the main attraction for Jasper is that the spaniel she shares her house with, Max, will then tell Jasper off and Jasper gets to run away :lol: Actually, here's a more flattering picture of her:

ImageIMG_8248 by jpn, on Flickr
bendog

Post by bendog »

I've spent the weekend dog sitting a 6 month old spaniel and a 9 week old Dachshund.

Both adorable - but OH MY GOODNESS - do I know why it is a bad idea to have 2 puppies at once!

Every 20 minutes I was getting up to let one or other of them out for a wee, or to break up rough play, or to stop them from chewing something!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

That's an excellent shot of Jasper, he looks to be having so much fun Judy! His friend is stunning too and clearly very photogenic :mrgreen:

Wow bendog, I though 20 weeks and 1 year was too close in age! Can't say as I envy your weekend.

I've taken to clipping Laufey's lead to the front of his harness again as, whilst he doesn't pull as such, he's so oblivious at the minute that having slightly more sway over the front of him helps. It does mean that I have to have his lead shorter though otherwise he trips over it :roll: MiMi, meanwhile, is doing excellently on walks and tends to stick pretty close but has the unfortunate habit of picking up chewing gum, highly inconvenient when it's everywhere and you can't tell what's "old" and what's "fresh" in the dark as you're walking along :? :lol: