What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sanna

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Sanna »

Have a lovely birthday Jasper :D
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

What a strange little beasty I own. Just went to take Laufey for last pee but he saw the wet and felt the cold and did not want to go. I ended up carrying him half way down the road before he'd walk because he definitely needed a pee. Yet if we're out and it starts to rain he gets really excited. :roll:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Happy Birthday Jasper! Sweetie sends special pug hugs and bum wiggles.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper says thank you for the birthday wishes! Well, actually, he says Woof, but I'm sure that's what he meant :mrgreen:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Happy Bday Jasper
OH deserves a special chapter in that book :wink:
bendog

Post by bendog »

Belated happy birthday Jasper!
He is gorgeous Judy!

My dogs haven't been getting enough walks lately and it shows! The dark nights, hail storms, and being crazy busy with work mean they've been getting walks in the dark most of the time and so can't always go off lead. They get at least an 45 mins, usually just over an hour, a day, but none of us can wait until the nights start getting lighter again!

I had a moment the other day that would be no big deal to most people I'm sure but absolutely melted my heart!
My dogs are all very private eaters - in that if you give them a bone or a chew they will take it off to a corner or their bed to eat it.

Doing a puppy visit the other day for a 5 month old CKCS (who is the sweetest thing ever and I am absolutely in love with!) after a little play he went off rummaging around in his crate and came out with a bit of bully stick, and promptly brought it over to where I was sitting on the floor and sat on my knee to chew it.

I know some (maybe a lot) of dogs would do the same, but having lived with food guarder Poppy, and even all the others who would rather be given space to eat, the absolute trust in him just made me melt!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We went on the Southern Lurcher Rescue Xmas walk in the New Forest today. Not sure how many dogs there were in all, but here's a quick vid from the start of the walk - the dogs still mostly on lead as there were ponies around: https://www.flickr.com/photos/82682664@N00/15833821099/

Jasper had a wonderful time - mostly ignoring the other dogs, and heading off into the woods either side of the path in the hope of finding something really worth chasing, but never getting too far away and checking in regularly. He did, however, get a small cut on a front pad and a graze on a back foot and limped as if his leg had fallen off, but I reminded him that one of our more hardcore members never goes anywhere without her skin stapler and his limp disappeared as if by magic :lol:

He didn't enjoy the pub lunch so much. On previous pub lunches with SLR he's been OK once he's settled down in his own little spot, but it was more crowded today, and noisier. He did eventually settle down on his blankie, even though he was rather hemmed in by dogs and chair legs, but then people started pulling their crackers... He dived under the table, shaking like a leaf, like a Vietnam war vet. Luckily OH's meal had turned up promptly and he had pretty well finished, so he took Jasper outside while I quickly ate my lunch, downed my beer (and OH's :wink: ), and we headed home.

I shall clean and inspect his feet in a bit, but he's flat out on his bed now, absolutely exhausted!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

aww Judy sounds like you had an excellent day!

For all of my complaining about the dogs recently I was very proud of Laufey today, we passed a few dogs without his OMG I HAVE TO SAY HI parade and then this evening he waited patiently on the curb whilst I stepped out to see past a van, something it usually takes him quite a while to do. I just wish I could implement it all with MiMi right now but sometimes I look at him and think that's something I've taught him and it's excellent but for the life of me I cannot remember how to teach it to MiMi - granted because a lot of it is too advanced for her at the minute eg. he waits patiently outside the kitchen for meals and then doesn't dive in for hers (put down first) but goes outside with me for his. Far too much to ask of her now but sometimes I do nearly stand on her :lol: she needs to grow.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh happy belated birthday Jasper and well done not just Mr JudyN but... you Judy for stickign with him, hes NOT the easiest dog going (ha or even the middle hardest dog going), hes pretty hard core and you really haven't once berated me or Nettle for the fact he hasn't grown out of the things we suggested he might...! (im sticking to the faint hope he STILL MIGHT)...
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

emmabeth wrote:(im sticking to the faint hope he STILL MIGHT)...
Me too :lol: But you know how men can get a bit grumpy as they age......? :o :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:
emmabeth wrote:(im sticking to the faint hope he STILL MIGHT)...
Me too :lol: But you know how men can get a bit grumpy as they age......? :o :lol:
we do not. stop saying that. geezzzz some people, arrrggg....
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Well we've had an interesting morning :lol:

Our cooker broke on Saturday (in the middle of making tea with guests I might add) and a new one was being delivered this morning. To get the new one in, we had to take the baby gate off the doorway meaning Laufey could have the run of the house so he came to see me in bed - that was interesting - and has proceeded to keep going upstairs whenever he can. He doesn't like strange noises at the door that he's not allowed to check out and obviously there was a lot of those so I ended up having him look out the front window to see what was going on and calm down. We've tried to eat the tiny polystyrene balls that came away from the packaging and generally got in the way. BUT, he's also been better than I expected and I was taking some pictures of the old medium dog crate Luna was subjected to before her new one so I can sell it and he was very happy to stand in it (with the door shut) to be a model which seeing as he's never experienced a crate before I was very excited about. I'll add he went in on his own and the door wasn't locked. MiMi scared the life out of me this morning by making it up 3 steps! Which is 3 more than I thought she'd manage but doesn't bode well if you ask me.

I plan on doing some rearranging of my room whilst I'm off so that I can try having him up there with me more often, both so the dogs have some peace from each other and slowly with the view to letting him have more house access. I will definitely get a gate for my room door if we go this route though :lol:
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Didja miss me? :lol:

I just got home from work last night. It was an interesting tour of duty at work. Long (12 hour) work days with very little daylight (more like twilight) seems to have taken a toll and made it difficult for me to stay awake long enough to keep up with all the news and posts on my favorite forum.

Being gone for two weeks gives me a chance to see how much the puppies grow in just a short time. The babies are HUGE, and active and behaving like a bunch of heathens (though in a good way). The barrier across the bottom of the gate of their pen is no barrier at all. All three just jump right over like it's nothing. I see that we need to reduce their feed a little bit. They need some puppy fat, but currently they have more than they need.

I missed out on the fun of introducing them to hard boiled eggs (a favored treat in the dog yard). When Trish gave them their eggs they really weren't sure what that was about, thought they were GREAT rolly toys like the tennis balls they'd played with a day or two before. Once Aufeis cracked hers and realized it was REALLY good eats it didn't take her brothers long at all to figure it out.

Trying to shut them back in after chores is a challenge and I'll probably have to resort to Trish's trick. After scooping the pen and hanging out playing with puppies for a while, she scatters a handful of treats around the area and then "run like hell for the gate before they notice it's open."

They do need to start learning some manners around humans and I'll be working on that a lot this R&R. I think they also need to start visiting some of the older dogs, which can be arranged fairly easily. I'll try to get some decent photos to post over the next few days.

Glacier is starting to show the dark "goggles" around his eyes that his brother and sister have. His coat has also darkened, making it harder to discern him from his brother, Hardpack. That was unexpected.

Meanwhile, Chetan appears to be blowing her coat - I mean like her entire undercoat. That's NOT a good thing in December in Alaska. We've had very mild weather thus far, but in a bad cold snap (minus 40 or colder) I'd probably have to bring her into the house. Fortunately I don't see anything close to that kind of cold in the long range weather forecast.

It's really nice to NOT have to travel somewhere during this R&R. I can spend the whole time taking care of things here at the house, and working with my dogs. Speaking of which, it's almost feeding time so.....
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote:Meanwhile, Chetan appears to be blowing her coat - I mean like her entire undercoat. That's NOT a good thing in December in Alaska. ...
I never thought of that as a issue with the timing of a breeding. Dude, my girls always went nekked after puppies. ......as in TOTAL coat blow.