What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClareMarsh

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by ClareMarsh »

I took Ted out on his own this afternoon and did Ted stuff so he had a great time. I even just let him roll in something that was clearly delightfully stinky (nothing to see on the ground but Ted's face told me it was an EXCELLENT stink) because well, why not, when I see joy on his face like that having a stinky (yep its eau de fox poo) chihuahua next to me is worth it.

What I then failed to do is tell the 3 ladies in the hairdressers (I went for a trim and Ted went to charm them) what he'd done. They didn't seem to notice that he whiffed of **** :lol:

Then we went to see his mate Dave (who Ella is quite taken with despite Dave being morbidly obese) to see his progress on his brand new raw diet. He started it Wednesday and his rashes are already subsiding and there are the faint stirrings of a waist appearing in his loaf shaped body. I really hope this sorts Dave out as he's had well over a year of scratching himself stupid and I've only just managed to find the right "in" to mention raw.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Apparently I needn't have worried about Sky overdoing it. I took Sirius over to the battlefield for a nice afternoon walk to add some more mileage towards her DSA traildog title. She had an absolutely delightful walk and didn't snark at anybody (person or dog.) :D :D :D We didn't quite go 2 miles, but looped around two large fields and more dogs seemed to be showing up, so I called it done. (I was also a bit tired from the morning's outing.) I got home with Sirius and Sky immediately and in no uncertain terms informed me that it was now her turn to go for a walk. It was getting late with streaks of pink starting to show in the sky, so I took her over to the park behind the house and we did two loops around for a little over a mile towards her DSA traildog title.

Now OH is making eggs and pancakes for dinner. (I kind of had a hankering for macaroni & cheese, but it is too late to fix that now.) The eggs and pancakes will be a good protein and carb. re-energizing dinner.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
minkee

Post by minkee »

I haven't updated here in a long time... and I'm still not going to :D I have put a long post in the Health and Exercise forum, re: Breeze and his current status, but I thought I'd just leave this here, because it's pretty sweet!

and so Scout isn't left out, have this too:
look closely!
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Aww cute pups!

Hattie and I had one of those 'only in Essex' moments this morning. We went off to our local cafe for our usual breakfast and when we arrived were told that Jodie Marsh was getting changed out back for filming an interview on her celibacy ! :lol: (for those not familiar with the name she is a Glamour model and all round celeb z lister)...anyway when she appeared Hattie was very excited to see her and wanted to say hi...unfortunately Jodie was too busy touching up her make up to notice my joyous little terrier...so I picked Hat up and put her on my lap...and we shared our usual sandwich and while watching some of the filming :lol:
minkee

Post by minkee »

I would never have fancied Hattie to be a JM fan :lol: Jodie's loss if you ask me :)
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

katej215 wrote:(for those not familiar with the name she is a Glamour model and all round celeb z lister)
What better way to find out more about her than see Victoria help her with the litter mate fighting, unhousetrained chihuahuas *sigh*

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E2057EBF03
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Or you can watch her here http://skunxtattoo.com click on Skunx tattoo on TV to see my OH throwing her out of our tattoo studio within approximately 5 mins of her arrival, this was when she'd decided she wanted to be a tattooist but wasn't quite willing to do the work.. :roll: :lol: (sorry I'm not attempting to shamelessly self promote or anything, honest :lol: )
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

I'm heading off on Friday for 10 days in NZ visiting family. OH is in a new job so doesn't have much leave accrued, and we'll go together in January anyway, so he is staying home this time.

I can't believe how much I've gotten funny about leaving Sweetie.

I know she's going to be perfectly cared for. Absolutely no doubt in my mind about OH's devotion to her, nor his ability to take over the bits I do. But she will no doubt be funny about me not being here. When I've previously been home with her while OH has been away for work for a few days, she has pined for him. She sits and waits for him to come home. It's almost heartbreaking to watch :cry: . I've been away for a few days about a year after we got her. And for a week in the first few months. But other than that, it dawns on me that we've never been separated for more than overnight.

Isn't it funny how attached we get to these little creatures?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds perfactly normal to me.

Why not research Bach flower remedies so there is something you/your Sweetiesitters can give her to help her through this? And also tell her about it. Animals are surprisingly astute at picking up on meaning, and though it sounds odd, I find they do seem better for having been told what is about to happen. Maybe their reading of our minds is more developed than we realise.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

:lol: The 'SweetieSitter' is OH this time and he is well-versed in her idiosyncrasies! In January, when my whole family goes over, the SweetieSitters will be our best mates, who spoil their own dog rotten and love Sweetie to bits.

So I know that any anxiety I have about it is in my own head and completely unfounded. The rational me knows this. The irrational me is another story... Might get some bach flower stuff for myself :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

SH if it's any consolation I hate leaving Laufey for a few hours even when he's being left with my mum! It's stupid but can't help it.

I nipped out today and ended up in P@H and (surprise surprise) I bought Laufey a new toy. In my defence it was on sale! :lol: so he now has a kong bounzer that he was facinated with. I also let him come hang out upstairs when I was doing some printing and he went down, got the toy and brought it up! I was very impressed because he's usuallu a bit of a nightmare upstairs so he's not allowed up often. I know if he went up he'd be fine but we're not up there often but we might start working on it :wink:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

SH, I know how you feel about leaving Sweetie. I spent the night at my parents the other evening so that I could get up bright and early and take my mother and her vehicle on a 2 hour drive to the mechanic for it's 6 month inspection of all the special handicapable equipment. That left OH home with the dogs and cat. He reported that the dogs slept downstairs the whole night waiting for me to pop back in the door. :(

It doesn't help that my mother doesn't understand why I would have any issue leaving the dogs for a night and then my OH gives me the guilt trip usually before I go and again when I get back. (I sometimes think it is his way to try and keep me from leaving him. :wink: ) Hopefully your Sweetiesitter will spare you any guilt trip. :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

After talking to a friend who worked in grooming parlors in the area, I decided none of them treat dogs well enough for me to trust them with Delta...so I'm trying it myself! If need be, groomer-friend can come help out, but so far so good...ish. I did have one mishap where Delta started rolling over while I was trimming his back foot, which resulted in a small cut, but the vets think it'll be fine on its own - just keeping it clean and putting antibiotics on it every now and then. (I didn't bring him in for a small cut, but he was going in for his rabies vacc anyways so it was very convenient timing!)

other side

compare to this!

(Progress pictures - I am NOT done! In fact, his shoulders are very nearly done now, as are his flanks.)

One benefit to this is that I can go at a pace Delta feels comfortable with. I can do about 20 minutes at a time before he gets too impatient, which is actually pretty good - though he's not as cooperative as would be ideal. Sometimes he wants to bite the scissors/comb. Oh well! I'm making progress.

I'm not using the electric clippers, as I only have a #10 blade at the moment (for short fur, like poodle faces/paws) and I'm not going to invest $50 in another blade until Delta's comfortable with the noise and such. Also they have a cord and I like to groom him while he's lounging in the yard, chewing on a bully stick. Makes it a lot easier for now. I found a cool grooming set at the store which was scissors with length guides you could change and clip on...very useful!

I messed up a bit portioning his food...I made rather too many organ and liver meals and not enough normal ones. Whoops! Looks like I'm packaging again today. :P
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote:One benefit to this is that I can go at a pace Delta feels comfortable with. I can do about 20 minutes at a time before he gets too impatient, which is actually pretty good - though he's not as cooperative as would be ideal. Sometimes he wants to bite the scissors/comb.
Twenty minutes?? Please someone tell me Delta is not a normal puppy :shock: When Jasper was that age he'd be trying to wrap his jaws round the brush or my hand as soon as they got within grabbing distance!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

At 10 months Laufey doesn't mind a brush but doesn't keep still, he's generally chewing a toy or rolling about on the floor. If I could keep him still it would help to brush his face but he's just not a still dog. I brush whatever's closest :lol: