What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by gwd »

For those forum members that have seamstress skills..............

http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/puppy

There are TONS of interesting breed specific or puppy specific fabrics. I have zero ability and actually failed the sewing portion of home ec because I got bored during discussion and used the little screw driver to completely disassemble the sewing machine. This wouldn't' have been a big deal except that I couldn't quite it it back together. When I attempted reassembly I had some, 'left-over' parts. :oops:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

gwd wrote:I have zero ability and actually failed the sewing portion of home ec because I got bored during discussion and used the little screw driver to completely disassemble the sewing machine. This wouldn't' have been a big deal except that I couldn't quite it it back together. When I attempted reassembly I had some, 'left-over' parts. :oops:
that just means you were smarter than the design engineer and found a more efficient way to assemble a sewing machine. :wink:
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

Today on my course we went to Arne, an RSPB Reserve. I couldn't help but think about how great it would be to walk Quorra there!
Little girly would love it! I've been at university two weeks and I'm really starting to miss my baby :(

We also went to Brownsea Island, a nature reserve filled with red squirrels. Definitely somewhere I'd like to go again, though I don't know if they allow dogs...

My girlfriend said Quorra is doing well at home, she just had a second treatment for her fox mange and is generally just being a good girl.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

gwd wrote:For those forum members that have seamstress skills..............

http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/puppy

There are TONS of interesting breed specific or puppy specific fabrics. I have zero ability and actually failed the sewing portion of home ec because I got bored during discussion and used the little screw driver to completely disassemble the sewing machine. This wouldn't' have been a big deal except that I couldn't quite it it back together. When I attempted reassembly I had some, 'left-over' parts. :oops:
:lol:

There are some hilarious pug fabrics on there. Of course, I had to look at every single one :lol: . Unfortunately they are out of my price range, but then again, I do have a patchwork quilt to make for he new niece on the way... Hmmmm :idea:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You could have popped in here, Anatine, we're just down the road!

Dogs aren't allowed on Brownsea Island, sadly. Can you imagine the response you'd get if your dog ran off and came back with one of the few red squirrels left in the UK in his jaws? :lol: :lol: :lol: OH and I have a daydream of buying Brownsea (or one of the smaller islands in the harbour - we're not greedy) and living there all on our own. We could just open the door and let Jasper go & hunt for his own breakfast, not having to worry about traffic or other dogs.

Just realised you're in Bournemouth now - if you fancy meeting up any time drop me a PM and I can introduce you to Jasper and one of our regular haunts :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
gwd

Post by gwd »

[quote="Sweetie's Human"[/quote]
There are some hilarious pug fabrics on there. Of course, I had to look at every single one :lol: . Unfortunately they are out of my price range, but then again, I do have a patchwork quilt to make for he new niece on the way... Hmmmm :idea:[/quote]
What I noticed is that they don't seem to have a min order. Yes, it's pricey fabric but you can order a single yard and have it be an accent fabric!

Btw, Erica.......... there are some cute poodle prints and you could make a snood tube with elastic at both ends. That's what I have for my dogs.

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/howlinhounds

I'll bet those of you with short coated dogs (and short ears) are secretly pointing and laughing at we coated dog owners right now.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Gorgeous pics of Delta! Pixie used to play with the water bowl as a pup too, she grew out of it quickly.

I've got spaniel dishes for the dogs, and haven't had problems with ears, but I don't feed raw yet, so I can see where the problem comes in! Another thing for me to consider when I do switch to raw :lol:

Jack went to the groomers today for his usual wash and brush up. He always comes back smelling of this sweet, baby powder type stuff she uses. He does smell very fresh to a human nose, but I find it such a strong scent from quite far away, that I think he personally must hate it! It fades quickly (a couple of muddy walks will take care of it in no time) but I can't imagine a dog wanting to smell like perfumed baby powder.

Anyone else have an opinion on dog perfume?
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

What cool snoods! I wonder if my friend in the sammy club that makes super neat bandanas, that slide over the collar rather than tie and fall off, makes any snoods. Not that sammys need them, but it could be a new line for her to branch out into. I will have to check next time I see her.

On dogs and perfume. If we take the dogs in for grooming, we ask that they not be perfumed. My OH is sensitive to such things himself and the first time they came home from being groomed, he instantly got a raging headache. The thought that they would put perfume on the dogs never occurred to me. It seems to me to be torturous enough to the dogs to use a mildly scented shampoo on them.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

ScarletSci wrote:Anyone else have an opinion on dog perfume?
I'm not a fan. The shampoo I'm using currently has a nice fragrance ......usually I chose non-scented but this shampoo has some juniper and rosemary in it and the dogs have a faint, clean rosin-y smell from those two ingredients. I find it light, and rather pleasant.

As far as baby powder. The poop bags I use are impregnated with a baby powder scent so in my mind, baby powder equals dog poop!
bendog

Post by bendog »

Hate dog perfume.
Mine would be straight out to find some horse poo to roll in anyway :roll:
. Can you imagine the response you'd get if your dog ran off and came back with one of the few red squirrels left in the UK in his jaws? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yet they allow dogs in Formby woods - supposed to be on lead through the main "tourist" paths but can be off lead in other areas.
Maybe that's why the number of reds are dwindling there :lol: :lol:
(it's actually due to squirrel pox, which is very sad and horrible :( I remember going as a kid and hand feeding red squirrels and they were everywhere you looked, now you are fairly lucky to see one. Still quite a few surviving in areas of the Lake District too though)
Sweetie's Human

Maybe I should consider a snood for Sweetie :lol: . Because she has such a flat face and completely LOSES HER MIND where food is involved, we often end up wiping food off her ears and eyebrows :lol: . She shoves her whole head in her bowl :roll: .

Yeah GWD - a couple of those fabrics were tempting. Especially the ones that had me laughing because I could tell they were designed not so much by an artist, but by someone who has a pug. Might just head back over there and see if they deliver to my country... La la la
Sweetie's Human

Oh AND - a little brag. A lady we've become friendly with on early morning walks who has seen Sweetie right from the start when we got her a bit over two years ago, commented on how slender she's looking :D . She would have first seen Sweetie a few weeks after we got her when she could finally make it around the block, so she's seen her at nearly her fattest (well, fattest in our care) and even though I don't really *need* the props, it is nice when someone just acknowledges it out of the blue.
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

I forgot you lived so close Judy! I'd love to meet you and Jasper sometime. Maybe once I'm settled in and less likely to get lost I'll drop you a message :)

I had a feeling they didn't allow dogs hahah, too many free roming Peacocks and rare water fowl as well as the red squirrels :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Living with a dog who was as shut down as Honey means that she's constantly changing now that she's well on the road to recovery. She's hilarious and so sweet she'd melt your teeth but she's got the ability to be a total pain in the butt too :twisted:

I think I've finally gotten her to knock it off for a bit after she spent most of today (post nearly 2 hour walk and a bit of a game when she got home) saying "can we play? oh you're busy I'll just bump that bit of your back that's exposed with my little cold nose and then when you turn around .... I'll hump your arm with a great big grin on my face... then play tug ... and hump the blanket/teddy... then you again :P more tug please please please and some rubs. Now it's time for lunch kong :D NOW NOW NOW. Rub me Rub me... Your're making your lunch ok I'd best growl and bark at things you can't hear and give you slidy eyes to see if you're distracted enough to chuck me something to shut me up :mrgreen: Ok walk now... nope don't want to go that way or that way I want to go eat the cat poop or shout at the neighbour dog if he's in his window losing his mind :roll: ok let's go home now.. play time again maybe... ah little food puzzle yum yum ok Mammy I'll lie down now :D phew :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I feel exhausted just reading that! :lol: One advantage of lurchers: 'OK, I've had my walk, I've had my tea. Any chance of a game of ball? Any crumbs from your tea I can scrounge? No? Oh well, might as well go to bed then....' :D

Anatine, I shall look forward to meeting up!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009