What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by WufWuf »

Thanks Ladies. Pepper spray is not legal here :( . I think I'm extra worried as I fear that an assault would actually kill me due to the nature of the disease I have (endometriosis), I have a large cyst on my ovary and my internal organs are all twisted up and stuck to each other due to adhesions. I can't really run either so I often feel quite vunerable if I feel under threat.

Mr. Wuf may just get his wish of owning a Rottie one day :mrgreen: Oh wait hang on a minute :idea: would a gang of Jackers be just as scary... :P
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Do you wanna borrow Precious for a bit :lol: he's got his passport ready if there's cookies ;)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

He'd be perfect :D tell him if he went to all the trouble of getting here I'd have to give him cookies AND cake (liver cake :P )
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
bendog

Post by bendog »

Can of deodorant is almost as effective as pepper spray and totally legal to carry.
Biro pen can be quite an effective weapon too (jab it HARD at soft parts e.g eyes, throat) can also be used to do some very painful finger locks but that's getting a bit advanced.
Voice of Doom may give you a bit more of a chance if someone approached (GET BACK) a lot of attackers will be looking for an easy target and if you show that you have seen them approaching they may run if you are lucky.
Aim to kick or knee the groin if poss but most rapists are likely to anticipate this and so will stand side on so it can be hard to get a good target. Again - go for soft targets with everything you have - thumbs in eyes and push back, hit to the throat, palm heel into nose. Stamp on the feet with your heels if they aren't wearing thick boots. Attackers in our area often wear 2-3 layers of clothes so they can shed a layer afterwards to avoid police identifying them, but it also means that the body is more protected from being hit.

If you were to end up on the ground - protect your head as much as poss and use your legs to try and push and kick against his hips. It's hard to explain, but message me if you want any more info and I can try to find videos that show what I mean. This might be difficult with your endo, I'm not sure.

Of course hopefully it will never come to that. I'm forever wandering around on my own at night, and there have been a few rapes over the years in the park across the road, but I've never had any trouble. But helps to know how to defend yourself if you can.
katej215

Post by katej215 »

It was Hattie's 3rd birthday yday , so today we walked down to the pet shop and I bought Hattie one of those mini space hoppers...We then carried on down to the beach, where I let her off to go and splash in the sea...this is normally her favorite thing..however a couple of times I accidentally squished the carrier bag and the hopper let out an 'eeee'....poor Hattie could then no longer concentrate on the sea..she just kept watching me like a hawk the whole time :lol:

She is now happily ripping its insides out and will be soon on its way to the bin!! Oh well...she had at least 5 mins of joy with it :lol:
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I just got back in after feeding the best lookin' bunch of sled dogs I've ever seen. Trish has been working hard to keep 'em healthy and happy, and of course it pays off big time. Chetan was bouncing around like a puppy when I went out. Friday and Selene are in a different pen after an unauthorized game of "run amok" in the yard. I didn't have the pen latched well enough, and ever so watchful and thoughtful little Friday took advantage of my lapse.

Of course all the fuzz-butts were exuberant - like me, they are ready to start the training season. All we need is some cooperative weather.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's interesting - usually Jasper ignores the telly completely, including barking, growling, whining, meowing and so on. The only time I did see a reaction was when there was a raspberry noise on TV and he lifted his head and looked at his bum in surprise :lol: But I'm watching a vet documentary and there's just been a poor dog who broke her back and was whining in real, intense pain, and he looked at the telly, obviously concerned. I wonder if it was the frequency (as in how many Hertz, not how often she whined) of the whining he responded to, or its emotional content?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

That's interesting Judy, maybe it was the frequency? Sort of the way that some dogs howl at police cars or ambulance sirens. Seems to make sense if he's not usually interested in dogs on the telly.

Today, we had to make a trip to the vets with Quorra again. She's been scratching her ears a lot, and shaking her head irritably a lot as well. The vet diagnosed it as fox mange, as the inside of her ears were clear and healthy looking. She thinks that we caught it early, before any hair loss became apparent, but she doesn't think it could be anything else and Quorra loves a good roll around in fox poop, so I guess that does make sense.
Once again she was really good, and even let us hold her still whilst the vet took a skin scraping from her ears (which apparently was tricky with her dense coat). We did get a couple lip licks of discomfort, but she was given a handful of cheese straight afterwards and that cheered her up.
The best bit of the trip was Quorra's behaviour in the waiting room, she was good as gold. Even when an entire labX (i think the man said GSD) came in and had a visible interest in her. He whined a lot at her and got very excited. But she just lay at our feet and relaxed. Her season ended about 2 weeks ago, is that still recent enough to have affected him? Or was he just a little over the top?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Re: itchy ears - might well be harvest mites. We have them here at the moment and I can vouch for them being VERY tickly!

What I do is have some lukewarm water with a few drops of lavender oil in and anoint the itchy areas with that.

Fox mange is easily fixed with neat lavender oil - but unless vet took a scrape, she's only guessing. Rodent mange shows up under ultraviolet light, so it could be that, but one of our dogs had that last year and wasn't at all itchy (lavender cleared that up too. Our vet laughed and said he really must stock some for sale in the surgery :lol:

Ref. lab cross - he's probably at That Age and has just discovered it's not for stirring his tea with.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

She did take scrapings and said we'll get a phone call with the results.
We'll most probably try and get her some lavender oil, no matter the diagnoses, because she certainly is an itchy girl.

The strange thing with the lab was, he wasnt young, the owner said he was around 9, and he was definitely grey around the muzzle. I've never seen a male dog react like that to her, even when she was in season. It was pretty weird really. Especially for an older dog.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Mr. Delta!

This girl was very cuddly and confident. She'll be a great dog, I bet!

Delta wrestles with a brother - Delta is green collar.

When all seven puppies were out there it was very difficult to tell them apart! I know the one standing that you can partially see the collar of is Delta. The one on my leg might be silver or same girl as above.

The area they were in was great. The bed and deck area were clean, and the puppies would go to the grass or pebbles to potty. There was a child jungle gym, a big wobble circle and a tilts board, which the puppies romped on with confidence. There were also lots of toys and a baby agility tunnel.

Choosing which of the three boys was difficult. Green stayed with me 85% of the time, whereas red and silver went off on their own for a good portion of the time. Red was very confident, but didn't really connect with me. Silver was shy until he warned up to me, then he tied green for staying near. Green approached immediately and kept coming back, even when I moved away. I made weird noises to see what they would do - red didn't care, green looked interested and came to investigate sometimes, and silver seemed nervous, but would investigate me from behind. I decided on green. :) Silver was a close second, but the minor shyness was the deal breaker. I could work with him, probably, but green is already more confident so....
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aw, just gorgeous!!! Congratulations :D

So where's the bit about how nasty and bitey the pups are, and a photo of your hand covered in tiny toothmarks? :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

Oh Erica they're all so cute! :)
I bet it was a hard desicion choosing who to take home. I can't wait to hear some puppy stories!
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Oh man they are adorable! How on earth did you pick just one?!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Puppieeeeees :D :D too cute! Congrats Erica :) I really need to hear about all the bad bits now.. Hope the journey home goes well for you and Delta-pup.