What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by bendog »

Nettle - I've heard "loafing" used to describe what ducks do in summer after shedding their spring plumage too. During the shed they can't fly so tend to hide or just sit around. The bird reserve I work at create specific "loafing" areas on islands for the birds.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

lucyandbella wrote: But I'm also afraid these medications could make her more aggressive toward Lucy.
Which medications specifically?

really, really understanding the medications and how to match them to behavior is why actual Vet Behaviorists are credentialed (at least in the US) and then get the big bucks. some "regular" vets may be up on the medications and uses and how to match behavior to medication, but you are going to need to do some homework of your own to know if the vet is really up to speed or not.

Often (again, at least in the US) regular vets can get free or reduced cost consults with a vet behaviorist if getting to the vet behaviorist isn't practical for you.

I am trying to find some general guidelines for when to explore a medication option be it natural or pharmaceutical, as I learn I will share.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Today my dogs are sticking close to mom........... I've been teary all day.

It's two fold and I think my sadness today is intertwined. This morning, hubby headed out with son to return him to school. This will be his 7th year (at/a) university. You'd think I'd be over crying each Aug when he returns....... but clearly I'm not.

Also, I'm just really bummed over the news of robin Williams death. Of course I never met the man but he gave me hours of laughter and he just seemed like one of those sparkly, full of life people that would always be with us. The notion that depression was so profound that he wanted, and sought release from his sadness is just so hard for me to wrap my head around. When my son was little, Aladdin was one of his very favorite movies. We had it on VHS and almost wore it out. Robin Williams voice and happy childhood memories of my little guy are interwoven.........<sob>
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Because I'm my age, I was a little late to watching a lot of RW's movies. (Very much better late than never) I remember being terrified by Jumanji and slightly terrified by Flubber as a kid, but those movies were always playing in the background of great memories I have from when I was younger. I'm also a bit of a Disney freak with Aladdin being one of my favorites from the Disney Rennaisance. Genie was so wonderfully performed, and I cry whenever I think about him truly being free now. Lea Salonga (Princess Jasmine's singing voice in the film and one of my favorite singers ever) changed her Twitter profile picture to one of Jasmine kissing Genie on the cheek. Tears, tears, and more tears.
--dontpugme
bendog

Post by bendog »

Hit me hard too. I LOVE Aladdin, and Mrs Doubtfire, and lots of the other films. But also, deaths from suicide always knock me for six a bit anyway, because I've been close to it a few times. There was an AWFUL 3 days a few years ago when my brother was suicidally depressed and went missing. We kept thinking the next phonecall would be the police saying they had found a body, but thankfully he turned up safe, if not very well, and spent the next 2 months on a psychiatric ward and is doing much better these days thank goodness. There was also a bad week or two when my Dad separated from his wife when he got picked up by police in a bad way, and I spent the next week locking him in his flat at night so he couldn't go down to the park and hang himself or something similar.

Took the dogs to the woods late last night. I was just letting them run and do whatever they wanted since it was empty and I was tired. Next thing I feel a nudge on the back of my leg and there is a very fat Visla tagging along and hoping for a treat :lol: We hung around a minute or two and his owner soon caught us up, but he was a sweetheart.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I'm sorry to hear of the sadness and the struggles going around, sending cyber hugs and cake to those who need and want them!

The news about Robin Williams is terrible. Having my own mental health issues, I understand a lot about how mental illness doesn't discriminate. While I think it's so sad that he decided he needed to end things himself, I'm trying to think about all the joy he bought, and the awareness he's now raising for others with mental health issues. There's still such a stigma about mental illness and suicide in particular, with many people still believing that you just need to shake it off, work harder.... but these illnesses don't care if you're rich, famous, beloved, have all the support you could want and afford - it's still a terrible illness. It seems to have sparked a lot of articles and deeper thoughts, with more people wanting to help others who are suffering. That part can only be a good thing.

Gwd - many hugs! Must be very hard, I can't imagine watching your son go off to (a/an) university each year. Glad you have your pups there who still need cuddles and attention every day!

Personally, my own depression is still pretty severe. I've become a bit concerned that I've drifted away from feeling sad or anxious, and have slipped into anhedonia. Means I feel very little at all - not much joy, or sadness, more numb. I find that more scary than feeling sad, and harder to break out of. The only thing that seems to lessen it is Pixie. She's always so happy to see me, she needs me, she looks to me, she cries if I leave the room and she hasn't been tired out yet, I feel love and happiness when I'm with her, and I feel delight when she's chasing leaves or playing with me or cuddling up as she falls asleep. She seems to be the only medicine that's working for me right now.

Really wish I could have her as an emotional support dog and keep her with me. Breaks my heart whenever I go back to my own empty place, with all the quiet and no dog hair anywhere.

She's made me proud the last couple of days. Yesterday she was zooming around with a very bouncy and slightly rude lurcher/staffie cross (I know interesting mix!) and she handled it beautifully, and kept up pretty well speed wise too! Then she met Lurcher mixes new housemate, a retired greyhound. Greyhound was very curious, but then snarked at Pixie, and while Pixie retreated a bit and put her tail down, she just stood next to me and quickly regained her composure. She seemed reassured when she was standing next to me, and I'm I'm glad that she responded to the snark, but wasn't traumatised by it.

Today we went to the park and there was a mum with four and five year old kids who were entranced by the dogs, and really wanted to say hello. I taught the kids not to put their hands on top of the dogs heads, but to greet below and let them sniff, and to give them treats using the flat of their hands. Both Pixie and Jack are soft mouthed, but know not all dogs are, and even the touch of a tooth is enough to alarm a tot. Both dogs were perfect angels - very gentle, sweet, but not too overfriendly and alarming.

Proud of my babies today!
gwd

Post by gwd »

ScarletSci wrote:
Personally, my own depression is still pretty severe. I've become a bit concerned that I've drifted away from feeling sad or anxious, and have slipped into anhedonia. Means I feel very little at all - not much joy, or sadness, more numb. I find that more scary than feeling sad, and harder to break out of.
I have had several people I know suffer from depression and try to explain this to me. They said that they feel pressure to 'act normal' even though they feel that numbness and that the act, makes them feel a bigger fraud. For example, a joke is told. They know they're suppose to laugh at the punch line so they do........... but they're not experiencing the humor.

This youtube has gone viral in the last few days..........i think it's worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHcc7i ... hs7Wqi05aA
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

SS, at least you have insight into your depression, which I imagine must be very important. This may sound like a daft suggestion, but have you considered a pair of pet rats? Mine were a revelation - they were funny, affectionate, cheeky, playful, and would actively seek you out and relate to you. Just a thought.

It's not unusual to have some staffie or other bull breed in a lurcher, and in my experience they can be lovely steady dogs (compared to certain other lurchers, anyway :wink: ). I don't want to disappoint you over Pixie's turn of speed, but lurchers will very often adjust their speed so they stay just in front of the other dog, whether it's another lurcher or a basset hound - it's more fun that way! :lol:

Jasper has been a trial of late. He seems to want a lot of attention, and after tea he's on the scrounge for any food we might have left over. It's our own doing though - just last night I heard him whining in the kitchen, then he gave a sharp bark. I went in to see what he wanted and he was looking at the sink, where I'd left a greasy baking tray upturned so he couldn't get at it (having already prewashed the plates). I said 'no, no,' a couple of times and then 'oh alright then' and fished it out for him :oops: I really need a clear cut-off point at which 'no more' means 'no more'. I also really need to keep the kitchen tidy, because any unattended food, or even a dirty plate, in there, he assumes isn't wanted and therefore that he should be able to have it :roll:

He's also had a few whingy sessions - sometimes there's no apparent reason, other times he's actually keen to get out for a walk earlier than usual. He's also had a couple of jumpy-bitey moments playing in the garden and worst of all, he seems to think that 6am, or even earlier, is morning :evil:

He's now whining on his bed, and I've no idea if he wants to go and play ball in the garden again, or he's hoping some more food might materialise, or if he's worried about a fly that buzzed him just now...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Thanks Gwd, I hadn't seen that, and that guy totally gets it. Trying to share it on Facebook but that isn't working right now for some reason.

Even my best friend got upset with me last week because I bailed on an activity at the last minute. I feel terrible about it, because he's been so fabulous with me, visiting me several times in hospital, even when it meant driving across the UK, bringing me things, coming to my house for lunch after he moved to this city because I couldn't leave the house... he's been beyond patient. But I just couldn't bring myself to leave the house, and I hate myself for letting him down and not being a very good friend. He seemed to understand when I talked to him, but then told me he was disappointed, and I haven't heard from him since. Another friend is splitting with her partner of 16 years because he cheated on her, and she needs support - and I don't know what I can do to help her. Of course, all that means I feel even worse about myself.

I hate this illness so much, and if I could just snap myself out of it, pull myself together, I would.

Judy, thanks! I do have insight, I have the triad that a counsellor said would get me through anything - insight, resilience, and a sense of humour! I lost the insight when I had the psychosis, which is terrifying. Psychosis is bad enough, but the loss of insight was the worst part for me. Luckily the insight came back as the psychosis wore off, but I think the whole experience has left me with some PTSD. It was very traumatising, and it's taking a long time to recover. I'm impatient, and a perfectionist - I want to be better and fully functioning now!

I had rats when I was younger, and agree they make great pets. I recommend them for kids over hamsters, rabbits or guinea pigs - rats much prefer being handled and are less likely to bite than the other pets listed, and I had them all at one point or another. I'd be tempted, but I'm struggling to afford the pets I have already - mum took over the insurance for Pixie and my cat Leo today, because after just over a year, my savings from work have finally run out. I have been given permission to have my parrot, Oscar, at my new place, so now it's just a question of transport to get him and his huge cage over there. I don't drive. It would be great to have him there though, and he'd love it too, since he's pair bonded with me.

About Pixie's speed and the lurcher - I think Pixie cheated by cornering faster than the lurcher! Pixie was the one in front most of the time, then she'd shoot back to me :D Course, we don't know what Pixie is mixed with - entirely possible there's some whippet or something in her. When it comes to food, scraps, and the kitchen, I'm with you! Tonight Pixie stole a green bean that had fallen out of the veg rack, ate it, then jumped on the chair and stole another one! I will never be able to stop her counter surfing either, I just have to be careful about keeping things clear. Still, neither Pixie nor Jasper have weight issues, so we'll probably be fine. Besides, it's kind of cute in a way! :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ScarletSci wrote:About Pixie's speed and the lurcher - I think Pixie cheated by cornering faster than the lurcher!
Yes, Jasper is useless at cornering, if another dog turns he carries on for a good 20ft before he can put the brakes on :lol:

I'm sure your friend was just disappointed because he was looking forward to going out with you, not disappointed in you - it's no different to not being able to go out because you've got flu in that respect. He probably feels a bit helpless too, as he would love to help but doesn't know how.

I think sometimes the best we can do for people is simply 'be there', even if we don't know how to help beyond that.

What I don't like about Jasper's scavenging, stealing and begging is that all the time he thinks there's a chance of food, he'll be feeling stressed, which isn't great. He can't help but do whatever it takes to get food when he thinks there's a chance, that's how he's programmed, so it's my job to be able to make it clear to him that it really is 'all gone' and he can go & relax.
bendog

Post by bendog »

gwd wrote:
ScarletSci wrote:
Personally, my own depression is still pretty severe. I've become a bit concerned that I've drifted away from feeling sad or anxious, and have slipped into anhedonia. Means I feel very little at all - not much joy, or sadness, more numb. I find that more scary than feeling sad, and harder to break out of.
I have had several people I know suffer from depression and try to explain this to me. They said that they feel pressure to 'act normal' even though they feel that numbness and that the act, makes them feel a bigger fraud. For example, a joke is told. They know they're suppose to laugh at the punch line so they do........... but they're not experiencing the humor.

This youtube has gone viral in the last few days..........i think it's worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHcc7i ... hs7Wqi05aA
Absolutely.
I usually describe it as like watching the world from within a bubble. You see everything. And you know how it SHOULD feel, but somehow the feelings themselves don't kick in, they just reflect off the surface of the bubble.

Worst part is when you don't even want to try to "recover" because you think this is just the way you are and there's nothing to recover from.

I saw that video earlier and it's very good. I'm incredibly lucky to have several amazing friends, but one especially who has always managed to say exactly the right things at exactly the right times. "We will get through this together, with me in your corner you can conquer anything", "You are NEVER a burden to me, I love you" "absolutely anytime you need me, for anything, I'm here"
But I know I'm one of the lucky ones. My friends are awesome.

ScarletSci - feeling like you let your friend down is likely the depression thoughts trying to screw you over. You are trying the best you can, and you will have good days and bad days. Try to give yourself some credit, you are a good friend, but you can only do as much as you can do.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We took Jasper to Buckham Fair today: http://www.buckhamfair.co.uk/contact.php Had a great time there, it was a good combination of dog exhibitions (eg search & rescue), horse show & jumping, and the usual commercial stalls. We learnt that it is not a good idea to introduce Jasper to alpaca through a fence :shock: The alpaca were adorable, but Jasper found them way too interesting, not in a good way, and when we tried to move him on sharpish he had a bit of a tantrum :oops:

We also met his mini-me. She was, according to the owner, grey/whippet/deerhound/wheaten terrier/collie but her face and coat were really similar to the lad :D

Erica

Post by Erica »

They do look almost exactly alike :shock: Pretty funny!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Wouldn't it be great to see Jasper and his new friend run together?

Things are quiet here at work. Not so much at the house, though. Yesterday one of the gate latches on a pen fell apart as Trish was feeding. Capella and Beau took full advantage of the situation, dashing on for an unauthorized game of "run amok" while Trish repaired it. She was very pleased that when she finished and called them back they both came running.

Then, in the far back pen one of the dog houses was coming apart, so she replaced it with a recently rebuilt house. That's more of a chore than it sounds like. We build our houses of 3/4" plywood, so they are HEAVY. She made it work, though. Meanwhile, Friday and Selene enjoyed their own game of run-amok. With the new house in place and the old one out of the way, Trish called them back. Friday came straightaway, and Selene tried - sort of. Trish said she'd dash toward the pen, and then realize she hadn't yet visited Maggie, or Orion, or Just, or whoever happened to catch her eye. It took a few tries for her to concentrate on the task at hand.

Chetan has her staples out and is doing well. Thowra had blood work drawn to measure his thyroid level, and it appears we will have to increase his dosage a little bit. That will be inconvenient as his pill is identical in appearance to Rose's, but we don't want to mix them up. I'm sure we'll come up with a workable routine for that, though.

I've been enjoying some beautiful weather here at work, made even nicer because it's such a rarity.

Swanny
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Erica

Post by Erica »

Hope Thowra does well on the new dose, and good luck keeping the meds straight!

Decision made - twelve days til puppy :D Now it's time to puppy-proof a few rooms and clean the house and decide where I'll sleep (my bedroom is upstairs, not convenient for pottytraining) and buy ALL the toys...

It's great because my sister and grandma both moved recently and the house is full of junk they didn't want to take with them. So uhh, I'll have to figure out what to do with that.

(Name is tied between Delta and Theta - and every time I ask people's thoughts, I get exactly even votes for both. :lol: Opinions welcome, though I think it'll come down to what pup likes more/which fits him better.)

Edit: Hmm...maybe I should get TWO puppies, and have both Delta and Theta! </joke>
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14