You know you are a dog geek when..

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

You know you are a dog geek when..

Post by bendog »

ou find yourself accidentally using your verbal marker on kids - "YES - good boy!!!"

You watch a toddler running down the street with his grandad chasing & think "that kid should be on a lead"

You have become surgically attached to your treat bag & try to reach into it even after you've taken it off...

Come on you lot - I know you will have plenty to add to this thread. Don't be shy :lol:
jacksdad

Re: You know you are a dog geek when..

Post by jacksdad »

keep calling your son by your dog's name :oops:
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

bendog wrote:ou find yourself accidentally using your verbal marker on kids - "YES - good boy!!!"
:lol:
There is nothing accidental about that at all. Trish pointed it out to me early in our relationship.

Giving directions, you tell someone to turn "haw" or "gee" rather than left or right.

Following slow moving traffic you shout "trail" as a signal to give you room to pass. (it doesn't work).

You refer to your own lunch as "kibble".
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

When you absentmindedly give your OH an ear rub..

When you only ever put nice clothes on just before you leave the house and immediately change when you get home, as you are permanently covered in mud/ slobber/ hair..

When you put more thought and time into your dogs food than your own..

When you have actual conversations with dog owning friends about dog poo, or receive daily poo reports by text from a friends dog with food sensitivities after you recommended a different food.. And then feel very happy indeed when said reports are of good poo results :oops:

jacksdad wrote:keep calling your son by your dog's name :oops:
My mum did that to me.. A lot.. :lol:
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

You use kikopups positive interrupter (a kissy noise) when you're out shopping with your mom because she was getting distracted by the shoes and was about to veer from the path to go look at them.

You pat your leg to get people to come to you, and you find yourself using your hand signals for sit and wait.

You spot birds, cats, and squirrels faster than any other human.

You start avoiding walking by children, men, and dogs even when your reactive dog is not with you.

You see your aunt trying to teach her kid and you think, "give me 10 minutes, a clicker, and some M&M's and I will have him trained"
gwd

Post by gwd »

You say, 'leave it' to hubby when he reaches into the skillet for a pre-dinner, taste.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

:D :D
gwd wrote:You say, 'leave it' to hubby when he reaches into the skillet for a pre-dinner, taste.
:D :D

Trish and I are BOTH guilty of that one.

When a house dog if is all figidy in bed, I use the cue "settle". Trish uses that one on me from time to time. I guess that makes her a dog geek too.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote: I guess that makes her a dog geek too.
Of course she is. She'd have to be, right?

You're a total dog geek when you're out and about, without a dog and yet, your pockets still contain, treats, a clicker, and a clean poop bag!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

When you walk up to the edge of the road with your OH and say 'Wait!'

When your choice of holiday is determined almost entirely by the proximity of deer, rabbits, sheep, cliffs and dog-friendly pubs, and whether dogs are allowed in the bedroom.

When you go out for the evening all poshed up and fragrant, and realise that you have dried fish treats in your pocket.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

When you are constantly scanning the side of the road for fresh roadkill (dog food) while driving.

When you go on vacation to a very far away place without the dogs, and you are looking at the scenery and thinking about how much your dogs would like it there, and what you would do together if they were with you.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
minkee

Post by minkee »

When you're babysitting a little girl not long after getting your new puppy, and her scrunched up face and hands make you coo 'Ohh what a clever girl, go poo poo! Clever girl!'
bendog

Post by bendog »

When you say "wait there" to an empty car as you get out because there is normally a dog....

Actually! When you say "wait there" to dogs in the car that are behind a dog guard, where do I think they are goimg to go?! :lol:
katej215

Post by katej215 »

You go away for a romantic weekend with ur OH leaving the dog with ur trusty dog walker...and spend the whole weekend talking about 'how much the dog would love it here ' and how much you miss her! And you cannot wait to get home again to pick the dog up! :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

bendog wrote:ou find yourself accidentally using your verbal marker on kids - "YES - good boy!!!"
I realized I was doing this to my mom and the new recruit in handbells :oops: but it helps them with a tricky rhythm section to hear "that was correct" right away rather than twenty measures on, when our conductor stopped us!

When you order clickers in bulk - all for yourself - so you never have to worry about losing them or giving them away.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
james79

Post by james79 »

lucyandbella wrote:You use kikopups positive interrupter (a kissy noise) when you're out shopping with your mom because she was getting distracted by the shoes and was about to veer from the path to go look at them."
Haha I did this to both my Mom & sister (although I do the "click click" tongue noise).

I also call my husband by my dogs name or vis versa (use the pet name for my husband when calling the dog).

I will add that almost every coat pocket contains a poop bag & remnants of old treats.

Oh and I definitely talk to children/baby the same way I talk to the dog. Around Christmas I was playing a version of "hid the treats" with a friends little girl :wink: