Sad Post...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Sad Post...

Post by emmabeth »

Just to explain why im a little quiet at the moment...

Last week, unfortunately we had to have my young collie x, Pteppic, put to sleep.
This was a horrendous decision to have to make (and i can only post about it now because im at a friends house, a place he never visited so im not constantly crying at expecting to see him around and not doing).

Pteppic was a very mixed up dog with an INCREDIBLY bad start in life, and after 3 1/2 years, we have had to say, enough is enough.

In the last two weeks, he attempted and VERY nearly succeeded, in killing another dog of mine, Dill. The first time, we took steps, did a million and one things...... and all went seemingly back to normal.

The second time, last thursday he just wasnt going to stop - had we been out, Dill would have died, probably within minutes. So we had to make the decision and really, there wasnt any other option.

I feel so awful that I couldnt solve his problems, guilty that i chose to take his life over someone elses (ie dills, had we left things), horribly sad atg all the thigns we didntg get to do...

But then i have to think how bad would i feel if i had left him at a rescue centre and hed done that to someone elses dog. how would i feel if hed goten into that frame of mind on the field with someone elses dog... and the answer is, i could not live with myself.

Im away at the moment but when i can, i will post a picture of pteppic on here, though at the moment i cant bring myself to look through the pictures of him.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

)))))))))))))))))))))))))HUG(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Sometimes the problems are bigger than the dog.

He is at peace now. There is no doubt whatsoever that you have done the right thing. That doesn't stop the hurt but I hope it stops the guilt and endless what-ifs.

You have absolutely done the right thing by him and by all your other dogs.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Oh I'm so sorry. Remember you gave him the best chance, many people wouldn't have given him nearly as long as you have, sometimes we just have to accept we can't fix every dog, especially if it was humans who gave them a bad start. And remember you still have Dill, and as you say there are all those other dogs who may have taken the brunt another time,which you just couldn't risk. You have done the best for him, he knew he was loved by you and I know will have known no pain or fear when he was with you, so he is happy now. Sometimes the world is just too much for little people.

Thinking of you, go and hug all your others, they need you too. :cry:
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Thinking of you...............
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Oh Em, how awful for you. Be kind to yourself you did all you could and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. You did what was best.

My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

Love

Donna
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Emmabeth, how awful for you!

But Pteppic is at peace now, and not plagued by the demons that came to him from whatever his early life was.

Lis
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

I am so sorry to hear your news Emma, and I feel so bad for you.

:cry: He is at peace now though, and at rest.

Just remember all the things you did for him, and the quality of life you gave him after his bad start.

He is free from his demons, RIP Pteppic.

Maggie
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Image You did what you could Em, you gave him a life even if it was a short life, you gave him all the love he needed, that is so important to dogs.

What would his life be like if you didn't let him go? What would your other dogs lives be like? What would your life be like if you hadn't let him go?

Whatever happened before you got him has done too much damage but you took him out and gave him so much, even now you are giving him so much.

I have a brain damaged dog, thankfully he isn't aggressive with it but I do know just how much time they take to give them the best life we can.

Pteppic is running free completely healed at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you so you can cross over together.

Don't Mourn for Me

Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
and within your heart I long to stay.

My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.

I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.

When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!

Author Unknown
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
griffin

Post by griffin »

Em, I haven't been here long. However, I have been here long enough to get to know you a little, enough to know you tried everything in your power and then some, to help Pteppic. Sometimes, parents are to blame for a dogs behavior, sometimes it is the dogs.

Then there are times when no one is to blame, this is such a time. I pray you find peace, soon, knowing that evryone is better off now, not just you, but your entire circle and especially Pteppic and Dil.
Claudia

So sorry

Post by Claudia »

I am so very sorry you had to make this decision Emmabeth, but it does sound like the right one, I know from experience there are some dogs that sadly cant be helped. Most people would not have given him half the chance you have. Hugs from me xxxxxxxxx
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

Oh, Emmabeth, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles with Pteppic and Dill.

I know you will have given him every chance, but you have made the best decision. Please don't feel guilty. It sounds as if he couldn't be mended. :(

How is Dill?
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

I'm so sorry for your loss Emmabeth. You did what needed to be done to keep yours and other dogs safe but I know it's painful. Thinking of you x
JudyS

Sorry for your loss

Post by JudyS »

Emmabeth,
You helped me when I first signed up, with my unruly GSD pup Baxter, so I feel like I know you.

I"m felt so bad when I read your post about Pteppic. You did the best you could for him, more than most peopel would have I expect, and made the right decision at the right time.

Judy
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

emmabeth,
our thoughts are with you at this sad time x
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Hi Em,

I know that you did everything in your power to help your little one. His short time here was spent well, because he meant so much to you, and vice versa. I, a fellow dog lover, will keep you in my thoughts. Here's some love and support from across the pond <3