Whats with all the spam !

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Re: Whats with all the spam !

Post by minkee »

Yes, I think it's important that first time posters can see their message appear instantly. We have so many that are not exactly forum-savvy that any barrier would be a problem. Better to have some people able to flag or report spam, as we can now, but have that message be sent to some secret moderation forum for a final thumbs up or thumbs down. So a 'Helper' can remove it from public view but only someone with real clout can delete it.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Obviously, though, what is possible is going to lie within whatever forum software we use / update to.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, mod up in haste and repent at leisure :lol: Things can turn really horrible when someone has been made a mod and it turns out to be a bad idea...

As well as the spam problem (which mods wouldn't be able to do that much about), the other main issue I see is unanswered posts, or posts where the answer is just asking for further details which are then given. Mods could then be given the task of ensuring that all posts in their area get helpful replies. The problem here is that many regulars are deterred from replying as they don't feel they have enough experience (and no advice is probably better than bad advice), but Emmabeth still may not have the time to answer all queries. I don't know what the solution is to that one.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I'd be happy enough to do some monitoring/cleaning up type stuff but I'm often not in a position to do lots of typing.

For what it's worth I'm totally grateful to have this site and it's by far the nicest place to be online talking about dogs. We have the freedom and in general maturity to talk about issues that just seem to explode elsewhere. I love that we try to treat people the same way we advocate they treat their dogs and try to take the time to understand where they are coming from. I learn so much from this site.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
minkee

Post by minkee »

Yes I've never been able to hang around in any other dog-related forums or etc. Too many rehashes of the same old arguments. It's lovely to have this place to turn to :D And while we generally agree there's enough difference of opinion that every piece of advice is looked at from all angles, rather than just accepted as gospel.
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:Yes, mod up in haste and repent at leisure :lol: Things can turn really horrible when someone has been made a mod and it turns out to be a bad idea...
truth. seen it happen myself.

perhaps if emmabeth is feeling overwhelmed and is having fitted kitchen nightmares, someone could agree to 'stealth mod' we did this on a forum I moderate. someone agreed to do general housekeeping but left any bannings, post deletions (for content or potty mouth), or forum violations of rudeness, to the 'main mod'. the volunteer wasn't even listed on our page as a mod but only served to clean up spam.

as an alternative, perhaps there is a patch for phpbb that would auto-delete any post/thread, that was reported by three or more people. I know there is a patch for that with the vbulletin software.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

gwd wrote:
as an alternative, perhaps there is a patch for phpbb that would auto-delete any post/thread, that was reported by three or more people. I know there is a patch for that with the vbulletin software.

That's a good idea!.

I was a Mod once on a small pet behaviour forum . never again! You get caught in the middle and accused of taking sides. beware of crazy cat ladies :lol:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since it affects the whole site, I thought I would put it here.

This is from an email that Victoria sent out today. Hopefully, it will include the forum. Also, note that she is looking for stores of porsitive training results for her new webside.

"2014 is off to a great start at Positively!

I'm just thrilled to have gotten the New Year started with a bang. Perhaps the most exciting project that you'll be seeing in the coming months is the launch of the brand new, completely redesigned Positively website.

This website is going to be the most beautiful, pragmatic, and dynamic place to find all the information you could ever need about dog training, health, and behavior.

You can get involved in the launch of the new site by sending in your Positively success stories and how positive training has changed the life of you and your dog. Some of the new submissions will be featured on the new Positively website!

I look forward to sharing the new site with you in the coming months, and there will be much more exciting news to come as we get closer to the launch date."

There is a place to click on the email itself to add your positive story.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

The funny thing is that in the next 12 months or so I am going to be in the market for a new kitchen :lol: I can't say that this forum is going to be a port of call when I start looking though :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

"Positive Reinforcement Dog Training and Discount Kitchens Center" :lol:
There may be interesting cross-sell opportunities there :?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Hey, invent a dog-proof countertop and you'd have a verrryyyy good market opportunity!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

Emmabeth, I remember you saying you got in contact with one of the companies involved who basically said 'yeah we don't care'. I wonder if you could report them to google and at get their site blacklisted?? https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools ... form?hl=en

It might not help our spam problem much but it'd feel like a small piece of justice :twisted:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

That is something I've been thinking about, I need to do more research.

I know last summer or spring there were a couple that seemed to originate from a UK veterinary company and they WERE horrified to discover that the 'search engine optimisation' they'd paid for alongside their website design and hosting, actually meant 'spamming forums with your web addy' and that stopped almost immediately, so some companies DO care.

I emailed the owners of one of the k**ch*n web addys and got a 'we couldn't give a sh*t' response.. so you win some you lose some hehe!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Erica wrote:Hey, invent a dog-proof countertop and you'd have a verrryyyy good market opportunity!

I have invented this :D

Incorporated in the kkkkitsch en design there are several cupboards with doors that can be closed and latched, and a refrigerator where perishable food can be put!

Shall I make my fortune do you think? Or even a threetune?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

And a baby gate that keeps out all the people who don't know how to use those things :evil: