What's your "heart" breed, and when did you fall in love?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: What's your "heart" breed, and when did you fall in love?

Post by gwd »

Sanna wrote: I'd much rather deal with slobber than hair everywhere- I cannot stand loose hair and especially balls of it; human, dog or otherwise.. Yuk!
do NOT get a springer! i swear my two springer shed more than 4 English setters. if i skip a day or two of running the vac downstairs, I've got hair balls big enough to name and vaccinate!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Our house gets vacuumed once a week whether it needs it or not. OK, there's some dog hair, but it's nicely balanced by mud, crumbs, dust and general detritis :lol:

You do get used to your own children's bodily fluids. I remember a friend describing being crackle-glazed all over when her baby twins had colds and it's an image that always makes me laugh :lol:

I've learnt to be wary of picking up other dogs' tennis balls. Jasper's are barely damp, but some others have a really thick layer of soggy slimy saliva all over them :? I still prefer animal pee/poo/dribbles to human though.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Bulldog drool is the worst thing ever! Yuck!
I'm pretty much immune to drool, dog hair, poo and any other gross fluids from dogs.

I can deal with almost anything in humans except smelly nappies & kids snotty noses!!!

Totally off topic but kind of related to working in nursing homes - there are worse jobs......
My dad is a gastroenterologist. That means he mostly spends his time inserting cameras up peoples arses.
Somehow not totally surprising that I didn't choose to follow him into medicine as a career...
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sighthounds, particularly certain sorts of lurchers... those with a dollop of the exotic, and the roughty-toughty, so probably my ideal would be a saluki x deerhound!

I am not sure when I realised lurchery pointy sighthoundy things were 'for me' - I met a few that decidedly weren't - I went for a job interview at a kennels breeding Irish Wolfhounds and as delightful as they were, they were not the dog for me!

When I went to meet Keldas mum, dad and her breeder, after hankering after a deerhound with several false starts for nearly six years, I was very much smitten. I have to say as shallow as this might sound, the aesthetics ARE important to me, the shape of the dog has to be right, they have to move the right way, it has to slot into a space in my heart and brain!

Thats not to say I can't find those things in other dogs, evidently I can because I have a total hotch-potch of doggery here!

Keldas face - her eyes, the ridiculous things she does with her ears (v typical of deerhounds) the way she moves at a gentle trot, the way she flows at a fast gallop, the way she grins and yes, her sense of humour ('Oh gosh, i had NO idea shoving my nose under your arm and flicking it upwards just so would decant the contents of your plate onto the floor, I do apologise... om nomnom').

Errol (tibetan terrier) - again, the way he moves, he has a purposeful very 'drivey' trot that flicks his coat up 'just so', and he loves to gaze into my eyes, and wiggle his tail which is cocked over his back and then drapes down his side, he sparkles and I can forgive him all his dreadful horrid behaviour! (And some of it is pretty horrid!)

Rocky - he huffs and sighs like the old man he now is, but has done so since 5 months old. The ruff round his neck peculiarly reminds me of the scarves my Mum used to wear around her neck (hers were never hairy or black and tan, so I have no idea why this is, but it is), his eyes still sparkle when i pick up a clicker or a lead and he grins in delight. I think of his face a bit like a teddy bears, and he has very expressive ears!
Again, theres something in his movement (not so much now, his hind end is weakening), in his stride and his conformation that is 'just so', its functional and sturdy (well hes nearly 15!) and beautiful just for that I think!

Ellie - being a sighthound and a glamorous saluki afghan mix at that, she flows, at speed she moves across the ground mmmm like a silk scarf slipping off your shoulder - effortless and light!

Dillydog - not exactly beautiful but theres a light in his eyes that is pure devilry, he knows it, and he knows I know it, and we both love it! When he trots his ears flap up and down and he has a most disreputable air about him! Theres a terrier element that does not always make my heart sing, but thats not a bad thing!

Wombler - like dill, there is a terrier element im not keen on, it does me good i think for it to be there because it makes me think and makes me WORK and means I never underestimate either of them!

Wombles conformation is amillion times better than Dills (to remind you, Dilly is bedlington x whippet dad, to a greyhound x bearded collie mum, but he looks pure beddy x whippet to most people - Womble is bedlington x whippet to pure saluki dad, they therefore share a LOT of the same traits!) - I can look at him and hes never really been the typical cute plump squidgey puppy but his structure takes my breath away - I want to draw it (and do), all the angles and muscles and bones are just right, he is living art, he is so elastic and expressive!

He is at the same time as breathtakingly beautiful, still or in motion - absolutely 100% disreputable and in league with the devil, and you can see it in his face!

So, I know what I like, but I can find something I like in almost any dog I think - there are some I wouldnt choose - I too am in the 'non dribbly drooly' camp. Kelda can drool on my leg over my food but its just wet drops, not 'strings', its the 'strings' i object to!

I think one day when maybe I don't have the speed for dastardly bedlington x lurcher types, I'll have me a Bull Terrier. I have met a few now and they have a love and an infectious sense of joie de vivre, delivered at full steam ahead, devil take the hindmost and whoops there go your knees again! I don't think you could live with a Bull Terrier and not pick up on that happy go lucky steamroller of fun!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

emmabeth wrote:Wombles conformation is amillion times better than Dills (to remind you, Dilly is bedlington x whippet dad, to a greyhound x bearded collie mum, but he looks pure beddy x whippet to most people - Womble is bedlington x whippet to pure saluki dad, they therefore share a LOT of the same traits!) - I can look at him and hes never really been the typical cute plump squidgey puppy but his structure takes my breath away - I want to draw it (and do), all the angles and muscles and bones are just right, he is living art, he is so elastic and expressive!

He is at the same time as breathtakingly beautiful, still or in motion - absolutely 100% disreputable and in league with the devil, and you can see it in his face!
I'm practically drooling myself now. WE... NEED... PHOTOS!!!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I don't think I have a heart breed. I admire fit and healthy collies and springers and I love the big feet on a cocker but I wouldn't want to own those breeds. I watched two collies on the beach yesterday and whilst I admired that they weren't interested in other dogs or people their focus on their owner to be doing something all the time would drive me mad :lol:

Obviously I love long coated chis but that is partly because they're the perfect breed for me right now.

But for me it's the personality of the dog and whether they try to communicate with humans. Obviously some of this is shaped by their owners but I'm sure some are also born this way.

If I was starting from scratch now I'd be volunteering at a rescue with an agenda to also find a dog that spoke to me. The rescue I walk for had such a dog, he was a staffie cross who for all intents and purposes was a pitbull. This is not the soft of look I would gravitate towards but this guy was totally delightful, he was the only dog that as well as walking I used to get in his pen with him when I had nothing to do and just have a cuddle, he loved people. He has a home now :D There was also an older "brown dog" who goodness knows what breeds he was made up of, again he loved people and was a complete charmer, he also has a home now :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

I dont think i have a heart breed either. As a kid we had cross breeds of various terrier types. We decided on a Labrador as it practically ticked all our boxes, i know the most about the breed from the research i did and i have a soft spot for them but of course i think Pepper is the prettiest Labrador, others just dont compare hehe. But thinking about this thread on tonights walk, it turns out all dogs make me smile and warm my heart :) spaniels always make me laugh, i met my first ridgeback the other week he was majestic, dalmations bring a smile to my face as do vizlas, chis are very pretty boy or girl, even westies are just wonderful the way they bop about :)
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh I forgot. Practicalities aside, I would love, love, love an Afghan hound. They are just so outrageously OTT, in a very 70s platform boots, glam rock, huge flares sort of way. Apart from knowing they have a sighthound nature I don't know much about their personalities - I know they're not meant to be easy to train, but have also seen a Youtube vid of one doing some very smart tricks. They must have a good sense of humour looking like that, too, surely? :lol:

I've also seen photos of them bog snorkeling and getting absolutely, gloriously filthy... Keeping on top of that coat even if you tried to stop them from having fun must be practically a full-time job :shock:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Want to bump this because I'm sure there are people who haven't seen the thread or posted, and I really loved reading everyone's stories about dogs they've loved and what attracts them to certain breeds.

So it's more than just a bump, I'll add that I've always loved giant breeds, I think beginning with watching the Disney film The Ugly Daschund when I was a kid - (couple who breeds show Dacshunds adopt an orphaned Great Dane) and would adore a great dane. They just look so noble, and would be so much fun. I couldn't have one anytime soon since I wouldn't have a place big enough to accommodate a Dane, but would seriously consider taking on a rescue Dane if that situation changes. My only concern is the potential health problems and the much shorter lifespan. All of our dogs have reached 17-18 so far (touch wood) and it would need a lot of thought before I could commit to adopting a dog with such a shortened average lifespan compared to most.

I also really want a Weimeraner, preferably one with blue eyes, or one blue eye! A few people mentioned soft spots for blue eyes. I've always adored husky and husky types, they are beyond beautiful! I just think they wouldn't be a breed suited for me, much as I'd love one. I'm loving seeing Swanny's dogs in their natural environment though.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Oh dear, I don't think I can pick just one! I have a real soft spot for all the 'big bear dogs' like Saints, Bernese, Pyrenees, but then I like Danes, poodles (especially the standards), Neapolitans... See a theme of large dogs here? Although I've owned a westie (she was very special) and Laufey so not exactly large dogs - we've never had the space but I'm determined that one day I will have enough land to house larger breeds. I'm also convinced that at some point in my life I need to offer a home to a retired racing greyhound because I just hate the way the industry replaces dogs young and moves on like they don't matter but it could be a logistical nightmare with the rabbits and cats we also have.

As Judy mentioned, Afghans are pretty special too and I would love to cuddle one but I don't think I could cope with that coat! I'd want it to be perfect all the time which would be unfair on the dog... Can I just have them all? :mrgreen:
erin

Post by erin »

I'm a gundog type of girl :) LOVE an English Springer Spaniel. And Labradors. And Golden Retrivers and oh! Flat Coated Retrivers. And cheeky Cockers.
My bucket list says at least one of each throughout my life. I've started great with a mighty Labrador. I'm doing well :)

I fall in love with all these breeds everytime I get to know one of them. Their busy-ness and joy for life - I just love. I also appreciate their eagerness to work/play with their owner - any activity goes! I love the clumsiness of the Labradors and the constant wiggle of the Spaniels. They are larger than life and I adore them! :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It has to be sighthounds and then hounds in general for me. I love Deerhounds and wouldn't ever be without one or preferably more, but I adore the more finely tuned nature of Salukis, Afghans, Sloughis and Azawakhs.

Im not so sure I'd enjoy a Borzoi... I don't know why and perhaps I am wrong there, I haven't actually met an adult one!

If i were forced to have only one breed forever more, it would be deerhounds!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Growing up with the family Rough (Scotch) Collie in the 60s and 70s will always have a place.

My KelpieXStaffie is a 'perfect' mix for me right now and will always have a place, but for a change of pace a Whippet or Rhodesian Ridgeback, or maybe even both with training to help ensure a peaceful co-existence. :)

Don't see too many Whippets and RRs handed in at shelters, but most probably the 'best' dog at my favourite animal shelter would be first choice on a shortlist. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Athletic dog shaped dogs with no exaggeration and little need of grooming. Dogs that are unlikely to involved frequent visits to the vet or die of cancer or some other inbred condition before they get into double figures. Dogs that would never, ever be seen in the show ring or be admired by passers by for their appearance. Dogs that can do stuff.

Type rather than breed every time.
Dixie9

Post by Dixie9 »

My heart belongs to boxers

We had them growing up and loved them and I have had 3 so far in my married life

I lost my last boxer with cancer last July. I then changed breeds for 2 reasons

One because my 3 boxers all died of cancer before the age of 10, they don't live long enough

And secondly two years before my last boxer got cancer I was out walking him on a lead and an Akita ran out of a park and attacked him and I couldn't do anything because he was too big to pick up, maybe I shouldn't have done that anyway but I would have

Now I have a jack Russell. I don't like jack russells but love and adore my little man

When my last boxer died hubby and I both decided on a smaller dog. Great I thought as I had my mind on a little fluffy lap dog. Hubby said only little dog he would consider was a jack Russell so here we are

I must say it's taking me a big of time to get used to my little man as he is so clever he thinks everything through. Boxers are soft and don't think lol

Also all my boxers loved everyone. My little jack won't bother with the first dozen people that pass me but bark at the 13th be ok with the next few then bark at the next one

I must say I don't think I will ever go back to a big dog but boxers will always have my heart well half of my heart as my little jack has the other