Business tips, aka help me be a more effective +R trainer.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OnceInAWeil

Business tips, aka help me be a more effective +R trainer.

Post by OnceInAWeil »

The title kind of says it all. I officially opened my business in December of last year, and it has become painfully clear that I don't know the first thing about running a business. I do get business, but I have a feeling it should be more than it is. One of my biggest problems is "making the sale" over the phone when someone initially contacts me. I'm never sure how long I should stay on the phone, how much info to divulge, etc. Another is marketing and making connections with vets.

So, what methods have worked best for those of you that have been doing this professionally for a while?

I would really appreciate a "sample" of how you would guide the conversation during initial contact. I learn best from specific examples. "I asked about the problem, they told me x, y and z, and I responded with..."

Thanks for reading. Seems like all of the shock jocks out here are marketing pros. :(
bendog

Re: Business tips, aka help me be a more effective +R trainer.

Post by bendog »

For starters - nowhere in that post have you explained what your business is!

Are you working with behavioural issues, basic training, running puppy classes etc?

I'm a professional dog walker now and wondering how people manage! I mostly walk dogs in pairs or groups of 3-4, but eg today i have 12 dogs. It would be much easier for me to walk them in 2 groups of 6, or 3 groups of 4, but I just can't bring myself to do it because I know some of the dogs wouldn't like it, some might play too rough, and some might head for the hills! So instead I have about 7 different walks, even where some owners have given me permission to walk them with others, I avoid it, because the dog tells me they aren't happy with it, or alternatively the dog is too rough and has no manners and its not fair on the polite ones. Sometimes feels like life would be easier if I had no morals!
gwd

Post by gwd »

as far as a potential source of clients, have you considered contacting the rescue groups in your area and perhaps having them refer adoptive families to you? I know you have an in with the dobie rescue...........but i'm sure that other rescue organizations would be supportive of a +R trainer to help the adopted dogs transition to their new homes.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Behaviour work is slightly different, but I keep the preliminary call short otherwise I am giving away information that is actually something people should pay for.

I need to know:

Dog breed/type, age, gender, neutered and if so when, what fed, how long they've had it, typical day, any veterinary issues and....exactly what the problem is. If a specific issue (eg 'he bit my son') I need to know the exact circumstances of the behaviour occurring, if it has ever happened before, what happened immediately before and afterwards. Then I need to know if there are any other animals in the home, what the dog is fed, any other training issues and (very very tactfully) whether they are using aversives. If so, I ask them to stop until I have seen them, but I do not criticise because people are very sensitive and upset when they make the first call.

Based on that, I then decide if I am the best person to help them. If not, I suggest another trainer. If yes, I tell them my fees and then we make an appointment. If they are expecting the impossible, I explain that, and then it is up to them if they still want a consultation (often there is more than one problem and they'd still like help). If the situation is risky (I deal with some very aggressive dogs) I specify exactly what is to happen when we meet e.g. dog must be muzzled and on a lead. (since Emms's report on the Ian Dunbar lecture, I also specify that someone else must hold the other end of the lead). I also recommend that the dog only has half its usual breakfast, and that the owner has very yummy treats all ready to use.
Sometimes I ask for a full vet profile before I see the dog.
HTH
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

OnceInAWeil....

some resources you might give some thought to

http://www.apdt.com/
http://behavioreducationnetwork.com/

http://dogtec.org/index.php
Erica

Post by Erica »

If you haven't yet, a nice, professional-looking decal of your website on your car can be good advertising. I don't have tips for making the sale, but that's one of the ads that have caught my attention. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Sorry for the lack of details! I deal with obedience, tricks, puppy training, and behavior mod (problem behaviors, fear, aggression). No group classes yet, but I plan to do Shock-Free Snake Avoidance in spring. I am a member of APDT and PPG. This is my website, and critiques on that are welcome also: http://www.clevercaninesaz.com

I work a lot with dobie rescue and have branched out into a pittie rescue. Calling or emailing around to more is a good idea. I've tried vets but so far they have been a bit cold.

Thank you for the BEN link, jacksdad! And Nettle, thank you for your advice.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I know you are USA based but it's worth looking at Kim Lyddon's site in case she ever lectures over your way. I went to one of her seminars and it was beyond brilliant.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS