Article on Pet Food

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

k9Queen

Article on Pet Food

Post by k9Queen »

5 Surprising Truths About Your Pet’s Food http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/5-surprisin ... 00471.html

I had to change Devereaux's food and sometimes I do feed her a home cooked meal. This article I feel is the reality of the situation, but very ill informed. What's worse are the people in the comment section that claim that cheap food is great for their pets! They pretty much believe that the FIRST thing a starving dog would do is run to a corn or grain field and have a feast because that is balanced and good for them. I completely disagree. I was told that feeding the cheap brands and even expensive brands that use a ton of fillers, grains and corn is just like a human living on a diet of only junk food. Sadly, the people in the comment section most likely have pets that are overweight, sick or overwhelmed with allergies, but are too in denial about it to see that those animals are NOT healthy. They seem to think it's the "circle of life" and that it's natural.

I never thought it was true, until I decided to try it. But using a better food (not all good food is expensive) and my dog has less in her dish, stays full, eats 2x a day and poops a lot less. I also give her fish supplements and cranberry supplements. I don't have to worry about elephant sized piles! :lol: The only thing I'm struggling with is her constant UTI's, which seems to be causing her to also not be in the mood to eat. I worry about her gaining too much weight from having to add different things to her meals just to get her to eat. Feeding her is like feeding a toddler. She isn't convinced until I try it, so I pretend to taste her food :? .