Need Fingers Crossed: Update!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Need Fingers Crossed: Update!

Post by Fundog »

I'm applying for a promotion. I will be having interviews within the next couple of days. I do have competition. (Three are peers and one is an outsider). The new Assistant Housekeeping Manager will be decided upon sometime next week.

The others have all had interviews, but I'm kind of late on the draw. I've been wrestling with myself over whether or not to bother-- and darn near decided against it. (I know what this job entails, and it ain't no picnic!) :lol: But my Manager gave me a little pep talk today, and encouraged me to fill out the transfer application right away. (Deep breath)

So fingers crossed for me, please. Interviews have not yet been scheduled-- I only submitted my application to the HR Director at about 6pm tonight-- but I will interview with My immediate supervisor (the Housekeeping Manager) and her boss, the Hotel Operations Manager, then the Vice President of Hospitality, then the Assistant General Manager. I do have a very good working relationship with all of these people, and have interviewed with all of the three Executives before.

Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by Fundog on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Re: Need Fingers Crossed

Post by JudyN »

Good luck :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fingers Xd for a great result :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Best Wishes! Have confidence in yourself. If your manager thought you should go for it take that as a good start.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

fundog, based on what you post here. I would suspect you would make a good leader. go for it. fingers crossed. good leaders in the work world are far and few between.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Best of luck Fundog! I'll keep all fingers and toes crossed for you! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog,

Best of luck. Sounds like you have a good shot at the job. And, you have done so much work and organizing for them. You told us how you had to fill in many times and work extra shifts, etc.

I believe from what you have told us, that you are probably the best qualified for the position.

I know interviews can be nerve wracking, but since you know all of the interviewers and they know you, I have full confidence in you. :D

You are in my thoughts and prayers for the this position. :D

And when you do get the position, then we will have to come and visit you! :D
Diane and Sandy
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
K9Steve

Post by K9Steve »

Fundog wrote:I'm applying for a promotion. I will be having interviews within the next couple of days. I do have competition. (Three are peers and one is an outsider). The new Assistant Housekeeping Manager will be decided upon sometime next week.

The others have all had interviews, but I'm kind of late on the draw. I've been wrestling with myself over whether or not to bother-- and darn near decided against it. (I know what this job entails, and it ain't no picnic!) :lol: But my Manager gave me a little pep talk today, and encouraged me to fill out the transfer application right away. (Deep breath)

So fingers crossed for me, please. Interviews have not yet been scheduled-- I only submitted my application to the HR Director at about 6pm tonight-- but I will interview with My immediate supervisor (the Housekeeping Manager) and her boss, the Hotel Operations Manager, then the Vice President of Hospitality, then the Assistant General Manager. I do have a very good working relationship with all of these people, and have interviewed with all of the three Executives before.

Thanks a bunch!
Good luck, Fundog! :D
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Good luck, will be thinking of you :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Fundog

Re: Need Fingers Crossed: Update

Post by Fundog »

Well, I did finally interview with my manager and the Hotel Ops Manager last week. It went well. However, today my manager told me that though I did well in the interview, they opted not to promote me to the position. She said there was no real specific reason why.

BUT THAT'S OKAY!!! :D Truth be told, I did not honestly want the position. :shock: I knew what was involved, and to be frank, it scares the carp out of me. :lol:

So why did I apply for it? Two reasons: 1) because I would have kicked myself with "shoulda-woulda-coulda" afterward, and 2) to increase the competition for the two candidates I most certainly did NOT want in the position.

The outcome: The one person I was actually rooting for got it! :mrgreen: He's a very recent hire, a fellow supervisor (I am a supervisor, I was applying for Assistant Manager) whom I TRAINED! We've hit it off from the start, and he has done everything I was too overwhelmed/overworked to do. And he's done it very well indeed. He is young-- a "whippersnapper"-- but he is wise beyond his years. Both his parents work at this company, and are also leaders.

Why am I so happy? Here's the thing: I am in a very special vantage point in my position. I have been a mentor to all of my peers. Yes, I have been a phenomenal leader. (Even if I do say so myself) I have just trained my new boss. (That's pretty danged special, if you ask me!) And I have taught and continue to teach even my manager many things she does not know about this industry (she has only been with this company for three months, and came from retail. She has no experience in the hospitality/gaming industry) She herself has called me a "staple" in her world. I am invaluable to her. As I have been to this new upstart. And I will continue to be. They will both continue to look to me for knowledge, expertise, and support. That is a very special (and powerful) position to be in!

Long story short, I am simply more effective as a leader where I am right now, than I would be if I were to move up. So yeah, I'm at peace, and I'm happy. I got the outcome I was hoping for. Thanks y'all, for all the well wishes and crossed fingers/paws. :mrgreen:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Need Fingers Crossed: Update!

Post by Nettle »

Brilliant outcome :D well done you! It takes a wise person to know where best you will be happy in the workplace.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

So happy for you Fundog!! A friend of mine took a promotion she did not really want a few years ago just because she "thought she should". She had loved her previous position, but has been absolutely miserable in her new one. Now she is stuck because she can't go backwards in her career. Such a shame because she knew going in she wouldn't be happy, but did it anyway. You were much wiser! Sometimes it's good to be happy with where we are planted and to thrive. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yay!! And well done for taking pride in what you do well and being delighted with other people's success (which is really your success as you have trained them :wink: ).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Fundog,

Congratulations:) :D
You know yourself better than so many people & know where you want to be which is exactly where you are. :D

My friend's husband has become an acting director in Fed gift which he hates. Everyone but him wants him here permanently. Hope he is as good as you are in staying in his regular position.

I personally never wanted a supervisory position, either for same reasons you stated.
You are so wise beyond your years yourself.

You have your management's respect & that is important.

Hugs,
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Long story short, I am simply more effective as a leader where I am right now, than I would be if I were to move up.
That statement says a lot - it shows that you understand the difference between power and authority. In every social organization (that includes the workplace) there are those who think they are the "bosses" and those who actually are, sometimes without realizing it. Co-workers go to the person with authority to get checks signed and paperwork checked off, but they go to those with power to help get the job done most efficiently.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm