Good news! I got a new job!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Good news! I got a new job!

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I received a long-waited telephone call this morning, telling me I got the job! WAHOOOOOO! I'm am so excited I can't even think straight! It's another computer job but it is definitely full-time, the pay is great for a beginner, plus I get all kinds of benefits, starting my first day of work, which is Mondy! Again, I'm so excited I can't wait! :D

What they've told me so far about my new position is that I will be working in telecommunications and will be doing some programming, however, they also want in other sections as well, but I won't know what those sections are until I get there Monday. Still, I'm seeing it as a challenge in which I would like to tackle, while at the same time, enjoyable. :D

Right now, I'm still working for the same company as I have been, however, last week my colleagues and I have received notices that our hours will be cut again. I went from working 40+ hours down to just under 35 and now they're telling us our hours will be cut down to 20. Not a lot of hours to make ends meet, however, I will keep that job too so I can have some extra money. :wink:

The good news is that I can take Karma with me, so that will be great having her for company and companionship. Karma is doing fine and still active as a puppy for a nine-and-half-year-old dog. :D At least she is healthy and I'm happy. :D

Other than that, I've been busy doing a lot of things -so many things I can't remember what all I did! :lol: However, it is good to be here again, and this time, I'm hoping to be on here more! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
JudyN

Re: Good news! I got a new job!

Post by JudyN »

Well done on the job, and how lovely that you can take Karma with you!

I used to be a programmer - in Cobol, back in the days when computers looked like washing machines and were quite possibly steam powered :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
K9Steve

Post by K9Steve »

JudyN wrote:Well done on the job, and how lovely that you can take Karma with you!

I used to be a programmer - in Cobol, back in the days when computers looked like washing machines and were quite possibly steam powered :lol:
I remember programming in COBOL and many of the other "ancient" computer programming languages as well, however, I don't remember them being that big! :lol:

Congratulations on your new job, Sandy! :D
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Congratulations on the new job!

I took a course in Fortran in college (probably dating myself here) it required typing punch cards which we handed over to a clerk, who ran them through the compiler and then the computer itself if no errors were found during compiling. I'm not really sure how big the computer was, but the front of it looked quite large and it seemed to have a room of it's own. I hated the punch card machine by the way. We weren't really given any instruction on how to use it, and if one made a single typo, one would have to type the entire card over again and not make any additional or the same error(s) over again. It was very unforgiving of typing slipups.

I have also done a little basic and Dataflex. I didn't really do much programming from scratch, more taking an existing database, copying it and tweaking it into a new database. I kind of miss those days, and kind of don't miss those days. :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

MPbandmom wrote:I took a course in Fortran in college
hubby took that too! his phd program required a foreign language so he took fortran........the administration tried to not count it but he appealed the decision and argued that it was classified as a language and it mos def was NOT his mother tongue......therefore, it was, by definition, a foreign language!

congrats on the new job........and better yet you can take karma!
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

gwd wrote:his phd program required a foreign language so he took fortran
:lol: :lol:
wvvdiup1 wrote:It's another computer job but it is definitely full-time, the pay is great for a beginner, plus I get all kinds of benefits...
Great news on the job front, congrats! There is nothing wrong with having a computer job. Nothing whatsoever! Good luck!
I work in IT.. big financial monster company, Wall Street environment, so among other things security is tight - including bomb-sniffing dogs patrolling perimeter and inside the office building too. Have to tell you - office people love the bomb-sniffing dogs! There is no better stress reliever than hugging a dog, is there? People line up to say hello... I am sure you both will be a big hit at the new place.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I love programers, wasn't for them, I wouldn't have a job fixing things :twisted: :lol:

just kidding. congratulations and best of luck to you.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN wrote:Well done on the job, and how lovely that you can take Karma with you!

Congratulaions!

Yes, i needed a language and took cobol. That was the reason for the Y2K problem. No one thought to put in 4 digits for the year.

My son is in computer science as a programmer and MS in technology management so I know there is a good future in that.

So many companies are cutting down hours. If you are in the US, blame Obama care so the companies dont have to pay for part tome employees.

Good luck and taking Karma to work sounds great. They do that at Google near where my parents live in Mountain View, CA.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Congrats on the new job, Wvv :D

The rest of you are so darn smart - computerly knowledgable - I have only just found the hopper for adding the coal.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, Nettle! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh Nettle, I really missed your sense of humor! :lol:

I remember taking COBOL, FORTRAIN, BASIC computer languages in high school -umm, thirty years ago when computers were still coming into the high schools. :) I also took Spanish to cover my requirements in Academics. However, when I went to college/university, I remembered when Java, JavaScript, and C++ came out and I studied those courses too.

The thing about computers is that when they break down, and you try to fix the problem, it seems for a moment you have one of those "dumb moments", until suddenly, you have your "AH HA" moments! :lol:

I'm happy I'm getting another computer job. My part-time job is also a computer job, but it doesn't use all my skills, but the job has been paying my bills, and lately, it seems I've been running a lot of bills too. This new job does sound exciting, and I know I've said this already, but I can't wait to start! :D

Thank you everyone for your compliments! :)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

DianeLDL wrote:Good luck and taking Karma to work sounds great. They do that at Google near where my parents live in Mountain View, CA.
Diane
the reason Google does all the "cool" things they do....they want you to live a work and do nothing but work. :wink:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

jacksdad wrote:
DianeLDL wrote:Good luck and taking Karma to work sounds great. They do that at Google near where my parents live in Mountain View, CA.
Diane
the reason Google does all the "cool" things they do....they want you to live a work and do nothing but work. :wink:
You are right about that. They have a gym and restaurant, too. 8)

Ironically, my husband ran into one if the co-founderw of Google with a few of his programmers at the Mountain View, California, YMCA on a weekend morning to work out. And, my nephew thinks the Y is for losers and insists on a high priced fitness center which grandma and grandpa pay for. :roll:

Sandy,

What type if dog is Karma? Karma must be quite friendly. :D
Our Sandy would get me fired. :roll: as he is so reactive.

Best wishes for a great career. Remember to give yourself time to learn how they do things and be patient. My husband and I are retired, and he really misses the working world. One of the problems of aging and disabilities.

Diane
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

DianeLDL wrote:
jacksdad wrote:
Diane
You are right about that. They have a gym and restaurant, too. 8)

Ironically, my husband ran into one if the co-founderw of Google with a few of his programmers at the Mountain View, California, YMCA on a weekend morning to work out. And, my nephew thinks the Y is for losers and insists on a high priced fitness center which grandma and grandpa pay for. :roll:

Sandy,

What type if dog is Karma? Karma must be quite friendly. :D

Best wishes for a great career. Remember to give yourself time to learn how they do things and be patient. My husband and I are retired, and he really misses the working world. One of the problems of aging and disabilities.

Diane
Diane, Karma is a purebreed American Akita. She's friendly with people, but not with other dogs. The reason for this is that Karma wasn't socialized much when she was a puppy by her original owners, which is a shame, since the puppy stage is the most formidable time in a puppy's stage of learning. I've been working with Karma to other dogs by first introducing her to other dogs but from a distance so that she doesn't attack them. So far, this has helped her get along with a lot of other dogs, however, there are certain dogs she won't get along with, and I think it is how the dog approaches her in which she sees as a potential attack. She has come a long way since I first got her from her original owners almost 4.5 years ago. Yesterday, while during our morning walk, my one neighbor's dog was loose and came running towards Karma and I which sparked a fight between the two. :evil: To keep her "anti-social" behavior from re-appearing, I've quickly began working with her and taking her around other dogs we know, but keeping it at a distance, to make sure she hasn't regressed. But, when I take her with me to work, I will be doing all kinds of precautions until Karma is used to the other dogs and the environment. :D

Thank you for your compliment too, Diane! :D

Speaking of Karma, I need to update my profile picture with her picture. :D
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

wvvdiup1 wrote:[
Sandy,What type if dog is Karma? Karma must be quite friendly. :D

Diane

Diane, Karma is a purebreed American Akita. She's friendly with people, but not with other dogs. The reason for this is that Karma wasn't socialized much when she was a puppy by her original owners, which is a shame, since the puppy stage is the most formidable time in a puppy's stage of learning. I've been working with Karma to other dogs by first introducing her to other dogs but from a distance so that she doesn't attack them. So far, this has helped her get along with a lot of other dogs, however, there are certain dogs she won't get along with, and I think it is how the dog approaches her in which she sees as a potential attack. She has come a long way since I first got her from her original owners almost 4.5 years ago. Yesterday, while during our morning walk, my one neighbor's dog was loose and came running towards Karma and I which sparked a fight between the two. :evil: To keep her "anti-social" behavior from re-appearing, I've quickly began working with her and taking her around other dogs we know, but keeping it at a distance, to make sure she hasn't regressed. But, when I take her with me to work, I will be doing all kinds of precautions until Karma is used to the other dogs and the environment. :D

Speaking of Karma, I need to update my profile picture with her picture. :D
Sandy,

Akitas are beautiful dogs. Yes, please update your photos. :D

We got Sandy from the shelter when he was one year old. We believe that he had been in the shelter twice. He also was never socialized as a puppy. He is fear aggressive towards other dogs. (Read my thread under training about our experiences in hotel rooms during our last drive from Maine through Philadelphia and across on I-81 to I-40.) It was tough.
He has to have a large distance between him and other dogs. The last night in Amarillo where there were 10 dogs in one hotel row on the first floor was a nightmare. :evil:

It is hard to know what his past experience was. Even stopping at a rest stop, we have to choose an area where we don't see or hear other dogs. My husband wears short sleves and his arms are all cut up from scratching when Sandy freaks out. I usually have a lightweight jacket on during those times.

As to people, there are some he likes and gets along with and others he barks and tries to attack. We never know who. But, i think even though he doesn't like dogs, he seems to be more friendly with people who have their own dogs. Maybe he feels that if the smell like dog, they must be good. So, going through hotel hallways, I often have to carry him, especially since many of the maids cleaning the rooms show real fear which fuels his aggression.

He hates cats, and we know one of the home he was in had a cat. We can only guess as to what happened.

Sandy has been with us nearly 3 years, but I just discovered this forum in May so it is like starting over.

I read your posts on the What are your dogs doing today and it looks like Karma is getting back to normal again. Great news!

It has been a lot of work, but I don't think Sandy will ever make it to be social with other dogs. I just want him to be able to tolerate being near other dogs without reacting. I did read that chihuahuas usually get along better with other chis than with any other dogs. I and husband have friends with multiple chis and they get along. It might have to do with their size.

Our chi is more a deer chihuahua as he has the elongated face and the longer body and long legs. His weight at 11.5 also doesn't fit the AKC norm. So, that is why we call him a chi mix. Those who know chihuahuas say his personality is totally chi. He barks as our "early warning system". It is a bit funny, but annoying, but he knows the sounds of the FedEx and UPS trucks. So, even if they aren't coming to us, he starts barking thinking they are going to bring a packaged. He is freaked out by the garbage trucks, though, so we have to wary when we take him out. No morning walk on trash collection day. :lol:

Talking too much as usual. I am just curious as to what part of Penn are you located? We have been all over the state including my recent convention in Philly. We have been through the state on interstates 95, 76, 81, 80, 84. It is absolutely gorgeous. I grew up in New Jersey, and went to girl scout camp in the Poconos.

Once again, best wishes for your new job and career. When do you actually start?

Diane