Greatest American Dog premieres July 10th at 8pm on CBS

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BoardHost
Site Admin

Greatest American Dog premieres July 10th at 8pm on CBS

Post by BoardHost »

Victoria's latest TV show, 'Greatest American Dog', will premiere this Thursday, July 10th at 8pm EST on CBS in the USA.

In the show, twelve extraordinary teams of dogs and owners from across the USA will compete for the title of Greatest American Dog. Owners and their pets - from "pageant dogs" to those simply trained at home - will live together and compete against each other in challenges that put the owners' ability to train their dogs to the test. Each week, three Victoria and two other judges will eliminate one dog and their owner. The last remaining team will walk away with a $250,000 cash prize and the title of Greatest American Dog.

For more information about the show, including video (for US visitors only), visit the official CBS site here:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/greatest_american_dog/.
Last edited by BoardHost on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoardHost
griffin

Post by griffin »

The wife & I tivoed the show, just got done watching it, well done. The dogs are great, though some have not reached their potential because of the parents... :lol: I think one of the boarder collies are going to win this thing. I love the bulldog, his boarding is great but he appears to be a one trick pony..

Nice digs, any chance we can raffle off the place? :P
Winterwish

dog show

Post by Winterwish »

I only saw the last 15 minutes so am not really able to say with a completely accurate opinion,tho' I was surprised at the nature of the show.
My opinion of shows like this will influence my opinion of the program in any case.
And that is that I don't like shows of this nature,contests of dogs having to do tricks. This is something I'm solid on for several reasons.

I do like 'It's Me or the Dog',and think it has many important things to say to people with dogs,and how they often set their dogs up for developing a behavioral problem. :)
woodfern

Post by woodfern »

Oh how neat! I was googling diet, nutrition and ended up here having no idea where I was:)
Now I see....and this, Victoria, must be the woman I loved last night when I caught a few minutes of the show.
She did my talking for me to the woman with the Schnauzer? That woman made ME nervous!:)
They call sleeping in that doghouse 'camping'?:) I saw the electric heater:)
Re: the 'trick' dogs. I'm not sure it's really 'trick' dogs that is the point. I, in my 20 min. of watching it:), thought it was about living with a dog and him doing whatever is asked.
griffin

Re: dog show

Post by griffin »

Winterwish wrote:I only saw the last 15 minutes so am not really able to say with a completely accurate opinion,tho' I was surprised at the nature of the show.
My opinion of shows like this will influence my opinion of the program in any case.
And that is that I don't like shows of this nature,contests of dogs having to do tricks. This is something I'm solid on for several reasons.
With all due respect, as woodfern said, these are not tricks, rather behaviors dogs should (and parents of dogs) exhibit in certain situations.

A dog parent's dog should obey, comply with commands such as leaving an object alone, even when the parent is at a distance or doing something else. This is not just a courtesy issue such as leaving dinner alone, but can also be a safety issue if said dog is near or trying to get near something eye/snout catching, but dangerous.

Sure, there is some theater added to these commands for the audiences benefit, but the behaviors are what ever dog parent should strive for to not only keep our dog children safe, but enhance our relationship with them.
DogCharmer

awesome show

Post by DogCharmer »

I am waiting for thursday to come again because I cant wait for the show. Most of the dogs are so well trained, I wish I could teash my dog to do all of those simple obediance 'tricks' with all of those distractions. I thought that bulldog was gonna go for that steak. He is sooooo cute!!!!!! All of those dogs were so cute! I loved how Victoria handled the woman who was sreaming 'ah ah' to her schauzer. I hope the woman understands now that she cant 'scream' to her dog like that 20 four 7. Victoria actaully scared me for a second! I am happy that she addressed that problem! I am rooting for the bulldog and boxer(which I think they have very high chance of winning)! Cant wait for the next show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Winterwish

Post by Winterwish »

griffin wrote:
With all due respect, as woodfern said, these are not tricks, rather behaviors dogs should (and parents of dogs) exhibit in certain situations.

A dog parent's dog should obey, comply with commands such as leaving an object alone, even when the parent is at a distance or doing something else. This is not just a courtesy issue such as leaving dinner alone, but can also be a safety issue if said dog is near or trying to get near something eye/snout catching, but dangerous.

Sure, there is some theater added to these commands for the audiences benefit, but the behaviors are what ever dog parent should strive for to not only keep our dog children safe, but enhance our relationship with them.
Your response is appreciated griffin,but you can rest assured I understand the importance of commands such as "leave it",and that a dog comply.

I see dogs being mistreated in my neighborhood for the sake of 'doing what they're told' as the saying goes,and was very glad to see that Victoria Stilwell was having a program on prime time. My expectation was a show like It's Me or the Dog,which I'd love to see on prime time. Just didn't expect a dog performance contest show,the presentation isn't my thing,that's me.
If it serves to increase awareness of the respect for,and dignity of dogs,that would be very good.
andie

I think Victoria is a terrific trainer but

Post by andie »

I watched 10 minutes of the first show and found it to be much too
stereotypical for my liking. if I had known she was going to be a judge I may have tuned in again.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Winterwish wrote: Your response is appreciated griffin,but you can rest assured I understand the importance of commands such as "leave it",and that a dog comply.

I see dogs being mistreated in my neighborhood for the sake of 'doing what they're told' as the saying goes,and was very glad to see that Victoria Stilwell was having a program on prime time. My expectation was a show like It's Me or the Dog,which I'd love to see on prime time. Just didn't expect a dog performance contest show,the presentation isn't my thing,that's me.
If it serves to increase awareness of the respect for,and dignity of dogs,that would be very good.
I haven't missed a show yet (nor has my dog son Eddie, who is glued to the tv when this show comes on) :lol:

If you listen to what the judges say at the end of each show, WHY they score a "team" the way they do, it is quite clear; respect, dignity, fair and proper treatment are the pinnacle of their decisions.

Each of the bottom three competitors were there because they 1) lacked a good report with their dog, 2) treated their dogs without dignity 3) were too rough with their dogs leading to the dogs not behaving.

Each of the people who were "voted out" were your average dog parent who decided how their dog was going to act, not try to reach a partnership with their dog.

No, one does not have to have a dog that can jump threw hoops, skateboard, catch Frisbees or leap tall buildings. Our relationship with our dogs is on our terms- now the our in the later is the dog & human.

However, every dog can be a well behaved dog, show manners, respect, and yes act with dignity IF the humans work with them in the right way. Being out among other dogs, off leash. Being around a lot of people, is what every dog owner should want for their dog. Why? Because yes, the dog is happier, less stressed and able to commune with their own kind.

For me at least, that is what I see in this show. The same things I see in the show; "It's Me or the Dog" only with some window dressing.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Total pants for us poor souls over this side of the pond who can't see it!!! :wink:
BoardHost
Site Admin

Post by BoardHost »

Greatest American Dog is moving to Wednesdays at 8pm starting July 30th.
BoardHost