Howling

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lucyandbella

Re: Howling

Post by lucyandbella »

Lucy really howled a long sad sounding howl once when she was 8 weeks old the day I brought her home. I had put her in a pen for a second and she sat down, threw her head up and howled. As far as I know she hasn't done so again, and Bella has never howled.

Now Lucy only howls to singing, the worse you sing the better :lol: . She gets really excited and starts out yipping and wagging her tail in huge circle wags and then goes into howling. She will usually howl only for my dad but will howl along with me or my mom sometimes. My dad loves that she howls and he sits on the couch and starts singing (her favorite song is happy birthday to you and I have no idea why) and soon 40 pound Lucy climbs onto the backrest of the couch and howls. I'm sure our neighbors hate us :lol: . The fact most dogs only howl to sirens just shows you the lack of vocal talent in my family...

As for the breeze video, Lucy ran to me tilting her head, then ran to the window and looked all around....so I wonder what he told her. :D
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

minkee wrote:Here's a video of Breeze's howling :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=datd1r-ui4I

Just watched and listened in the back bedroom and with a hallway and two doors closed and volume down, I can hear Sandy barking out in the living room. :oops:

Now, I know Sandy has good hearing, but didnt realize it was that good. :roll:

Anyway, Minkee, you captured the howling beautifully. I hope it doesn't happen too often. :lol:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
bendog

Post by bendog »

Such an amazing noise!!! :mrgreen:

Mine don't howl at all, hearing that I wish they did, but not sure the neighbours would be impressed.

(Ps i want more breeze and scout videos please! You haven't updated us about them in ages!)
katej215

Post by katej215 »

I've just watched the Breeze video with Hattie sitting next to me...normally she would bark at dog sounds coming from my laptop..but she just sat up , tilted her head and did her best impression of the HMV dog!! :lol: Wow that's one baskerville sounding howl!! :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Errol has the most mournful howl ever - its VERY tuneful when he sings the song of his people to us...

He doesn't do it all that often, occasionally when OH has 'cruelly abandoned him' (obviously not ACTUALLY as I am here to hear it!). Once he did it in response to my friends dog who was howling because her Mum had gone out (we were outside at the car, they could see us!) - Rosie started up and Errol provided the harmony!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
MrMinkee

Post by MrMinkee »

On the weekends, i take Breeze and Scout out to the woods or the cliffs. This involves a car journey and both dogs get quite excited and squeaky in the car. Breeze is often very vocal. Last week i was talking back with him in his language, having a bit of a conversation and this escalated into a full howling duet which was actually a lot of fun for me. Since then, anytime he has been particularly vocal with me i have 'sang' with him on the way to our walk. Should i be thinking more into this than simply having a bit of a 'jam' with the dogs? I don't want to encourage the behavior if it could have any negative effects. In context it seems fun for both of us but how do i know for sure?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Carry on - it's doing no harm at all. We howl with ours. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Innoko (Canadian Eskimo Dog) and Friday (Hedlund Husky), and sometimes my two Hedlund females, do the 'roo-roo' thing when interacting with humans. 'Noko and Friday are most consistent about it. It's as though they are trying to hold up their end of the conversation.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
MrMinkee

Post by MrMinkee »

Howling in the car - Breeze & Dan - Featuring Scout the Squeeker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTJYyXer47U
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

What lovely voices you all have :P Are you training him up for the next "Britans Got Talent"? :lol:

Lovely video looks like the howling gives him something to think about instead of "whats outside".
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
minkee

Post by minkee »

The short exchange at 1:20 is my favourite part :D
gwd

Post by gwd »

Telling on myself here (blonde moment). When the car started to move I wondered, 'where the hell is the driver?'.

I would be a menace on the roads in the uk. Heck, when I've been there I've found I'm not even a good pedestrian. .......when stepping out into a road I just instinctively look left........
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I'm also voting they go on Britains Got Talent. Or maybe The Voice?
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant. X Factor? :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009