Introducing..... Womble!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Introducing..... Womble!

Post by JudyN »

I am loving the image of Womble having a tantrum with his head stuck down the back of the sofa :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN wrote:I am loving the image of Womble having a tantrum with his head stuck down the back of the sofa :lol:
I agree with JudyN. It sounds hilarious, of course except for he clamping down on your arm...ouch. :roll:

I love watching him interacting with the others. Looks like they are teaching him his place. :lol:

Thanks for the update. Love to see him growing and changing. We didn't get to see Sandy as a puppy so I am living vicariously through you and Womble.

By the way, how did you come up with the name Womble? I love it. :D
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wombles are a fictional animal that live on Wimbledon Common in London, under ground. They come out when its quiet and trundle about the common picking up the litter and 'making good use of the things that they find' - which ALL puppies do too (though 'good' use is debatable!).

The Wombles were created by author Elisabeth Beresford - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles

Ive always liked it as a dog name but never had a dog that really fit it - but lurcher puppies like wombles are short and fat and furry, and have pointy faces and big feets for digging with.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Emmabeth,

Thank you for the information and the link. :D

This was totally new to me. I can see how you would choose it for Womble. He seems to fit the typical character.

I guess not all of us across the Pond have heard of Wombles although I was living in Israel in the 1970s where I listened to the BBC broadcasts and had many BBC shows on TV there, but with only two channels in Israel, it was difficult. My son was born in 1976 in Israel, so I am surprised that the Womble story wasn't part of the children's programming.

Wow, the Internet has really opened up the world to everyone.

My niece and her husband spent two and half years in London 2009-2012 where my niece worked with middle school age childrn. Also, her husband worked with troubled teens, teaching them to grow healthy foods on a farm. He was working with Healthy Planet and has begun a branch in San Francisco called Healthy Planet USA.they believe in using local produce and starting small gardens in the schools so children will learn to eat healthier especially what they are growing. I wonder if they have heard about Wombles and Wombledom.

I will forward the link to them. They dont have a dog, but have taken in and given a new home to the cat my nephew' (her younger brother) no longer could be bothered to take care of. :D

Diane
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

So, where are we now..

The little.... sweetie... *grit teeth* is now 11 weeks old!

For the most part he is now NOT biting me like a mo'fo, he is handling frustration and tiredness MUCH better and so we are not getting anywhere near so many puppy zoomies-turns-into-bite-fest. It is still occurring a little, but he is more mature, and we have a better idea of how his little brain works.

Off lead walks down the fields have helped enormously, particularly now his legs are long enough to cope with the long grass, ruts and hoof-craters left by the last cattle to reside in the field. Said cattle have also left him lots of chewy dried up cowpats. Yum!

He's done several pubs, he's met a collie, a couple of springer pups (again), a tiny teeny JRT boy (Milo, practically lives at t'other pub, fell in love with Kelda once, she didn't know what he was for!). Lots of people in a very low key way - ie, people are nice, but MY people are nicest, met the giant Hovawart, Jazz a few more times (much less scary but he won't be so bold as to invite Jazz to play just yet!), met some labradors, big ones and baby ones.

LOADS more car journeys - we are now mainly dribbling and blowing bubbles, occasionally sicking and eating it again, as opposed to screaming like a demented creature and violently spewing all over the place! He will now lie down and go to sleep! He can also sit in the car whilst its at my dads, watching mike do gardening work.

He seems to be VERY well proofed to the noise of various motory/enginey things - my dads ancient old petrol mower is a thing to be cautious of, but hes happy to heel around th egarden iwth mike, supervising him mowing (he can't get caught in any blades).

He has heard the saw bench going several times, just spinning and also cutting up logs (makes it sound much louder and higher pitched, plus its ancient and knackered and rough as hell), chainsaw, various motorbikes and silly sorts of cars (3 wheeled Morgans, we live right near the factory!)

He very nearly met his first buzzard but I shouted at it (it was circling, checking him out, i THINK it decided he was too big but you never know!), he's sniffed his first live bunny rabbit residences too, though we are carefully walking at non-bunny times and around by the hedgerows rather than the middle of fields later on at night - his first rabbit experiences do NOT want to be long exciting chases because he is too little and will fail. Since OH is doing a lot of the off leash field walking I decided it was easier to teach HIM to walk around the hedgerows, so IF he puts up a rabbit it will vanish off home before Womblebrain can really process WHAT it was.

When I walk him in fields and decide he is ready for a rabbit I'll pick and choose a daft young one too far out from home so he gets an easy success, and I'd quit elike it if he learned that listening to ME on which bunny to go for was a better plan than choosing for himself (and I'd like him to learn that he can NEVER catch a bunny with Mike in charge of operations but that may be a stretch too far!) - functional rewards folks :) I will be (ha, hopefully!) the enabler of the rabbit catching! Mike won't be, he won't see a rabbit if its two foot off his nose end flicking him the V's... (He missed a fox not just crossing the lane but then running down the verge in the same direction as us, AND a badger trundling and bumbling along AND the buzzard from earlier, AND a weasel (or a stoat), all in the same day!)

He has GROWN like a WEED, he is now just shy of rocky height (16 inches?) to the shoulder and still has ridiculously stout legs and huge silly ear flaps, I'll do some pics tomorrow if i can!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

bumping above kitchen spam.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

and again
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Want growing Womble pics please! pretty please! :D
gwd

Post by gwd »

ScarletSci wrote:Want growing Womble pics please! pretty please! :D
perhaps doing the courbette or capriole!!
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

The what or the what now??
gwd

Post by gwd »

ScarletSci wrote:The what or the what now??
haute ecole

emmabeth mentioned that womble was doing some impressive 'airs above the ground' moves!
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Yes, we need some photos or video of Womble flying. :D

It sounds like Womble is a student of the Harry Potter school. :D

Diane
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am usually too busy ducking to photograph or film him!

This is an artists (ahem. mine) impression however... (if it works).
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Wow, that's gorgeous! You're very talented!

I'd certainly pay money for a drawing like that of my Pixie!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's a brilliant picture of a lovely direlurcher :lol:

We neeeeeeeeeed videos though :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009