Training "Side Effect"

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dee-n-Josh

Training "Side Effect"

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

I really like how positive reinforcement training works. I love telling my dogs, "Good Doggies."

When Solo first came home with us, he wanted to chew on EVERYTHING. When I would catch him chewing on something inappropriate, I would switch it for something that was his. He really liked the squeaky toys, and they were awesome reinforcers. He'll sit there for a long time just squeaking away.... over and over again.

Josh is still new to the concept of positive training, and, the squeaking was annoying him. So to train Josh that the squeaking was a good thing, I would say "Good Boy" as soon as the squeaking started. The puppy is happy. The hubby is more tolerant. And, there is less inappropriate chewing.

I told you that story so I could tell you this one:

Today, my daughter and I went to the bookstore (without the dogs). Apparently, there is a children's book that has a squeaker in it. As we passed the children's section, a kid started playing with that book. And, without thinking about it I said, "Good Boy."

My daughter may think I'm a looney now, but it made me realize that operant conditioning works on everyone involved... owner AND dog. I hope you get a chuckle out of that story.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Hee hee, you should try having a deaf dog! I am so used to using hand signals when I say "come here", "good boy/well done" etc that I sign to everyone, people and other dogs! It is interesting who notices though, and the dogs always seem to respond better to my hand signals than their own commands, but the humans look at me a bit weirdly :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I had a chuckle at that :D thank you!
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

That's given me an idea :idea:

The grandson has an unruly mass of tight ginger curls and fights and yells when his mum and dad try to brush it.

I wonder if he could be clicker trained by granny to have his hair brushed nicely :twisted: