New aggression from my old friend...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dee-n-Josh

New aggression from my old friend...

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

Tiger was an "only child" for the past three and a half years. But, recently, we got a new puppy (Solo).

When we first got Tiger (at 6 months old), she was very fearful and timid. I worked hard to socialize her... introduce her to new things/people/situations. She still doesn't like new people that approach her. She'd rather come up to new people a little bit at a time... and when she feels comfortable she greets them with a tail wag and a smile. I can usually recognize when she needs time to adapt to situations. And, I don't force her when she is nervous. Her vet and groomer are always amazed at how she has come out of her shell. When new staff remark on how sweet she is, the groomer always point out how fearful she used to be.

She has always loved the dog park. I always pay special attention when she meets a new dog. Her body language is very rigid until the sniffing and arcing is done... and then she wags and smiles... and plays with her new friend. We've been going to the dog park for a year, and she has never had a bad experience there.

That is... until Solo joined our merry tribe. They get along wonderfully at home together. But, when we go to the dog park, Tiger acts very different. If it is just the two of them, they play just like at home. But, if there is another dog that wants to "meet" them, Tiger reacts very aggressively toward the stranger. Her reaction is quick: she bypasses the rigid stage and goes straight to growling, snarling, and snapping at the other dog. (She hasn't bitten another dog.) They take her warning, and leave.

But, if it is a dog that she already knows, she gives them her regular greeting... tail wagging, bowing, and smiling.

Solo has been with us for about 6 weeks, and I've noticed that he has started showing fearful behaviors when he meets new dogs. He has always been a confident dog, so this development bothers me.

:?: My question:
What do I do to calm her nerves, at least back to the way she was before he came into our family? How should *I* react when she responds this way? Is she being overprotective of her new little brother?

I have tried putting her on a lead to introduce her when we get to the park. That has been moderately successful. But, like any park, strangers are always coming and going.

All suggestions are welcome... because I don't want her teaching the pup how to be fearful.
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am surprised you haven't had any replies, this is outside my experience and maybe for others but I am sure that someone somewhere will be able to help. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't do anything.

She is protecting the puppy from dogs she feels would be bad towards him, and welcoming the dogs she feels will be good to him. Her body-language and bite inhibition is absolutely right.

Solo is probably at a fearful stage - there are several in puppyhood - and it is not Tiger who is making him fearful: this is a natural progression so that puppies don't get eaten. He is learning adult body-language and manners.

I'd like to congratulate you on your thoughtfulness, and your gentle rehabilitation of Tiger. She is rewarding you by welcoming the puppy into her home with her people, and protecting him when out.

When he becomes an adolescent, she will let him fly "solo" and the lessons he learns now will ensure he behaves properly in the future. She will also start to tell him off when he needs telling.

All the best to you and your doggie family.
Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

Thanks so much for your perspective. I never thought about her teaching him. She has always been a back of the pack kinda gal, and he's almost as big as she is. She's told him off a few times, but mostly she'll let him spend the day begging her to play. It is always rewarding when she decides "okay, I'm ready to play now" and they romp around.

And, I forgot the fearful stages. This is like having grandkids... I forgot what the puppy time was like!

Thanks again.