How can somebody abandon their dog :(

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AnnaNicole

How can somebody abandon their dog :(

Post by AnnaNicole »

I'm on another dog website an another member on there does rescue work aswell. She posted this before and i thought i woudl share it all with you because it's so upsetting :(.

I got a call around 9:00 am this morning to help rescue a starving female collie mix that was going to be shot because she was chasing folks away from a garbage dumpster. As the officer got out of the car he heard the baby puppies crying.The puppies are only a few days old. She had nine 5 were dead but she was still nesting with them. Now we know why she was charging people. She is so poor she can hardly stand unless she thinks your getting to close. I spent about 20 minutes talking to her and feeding her small bites of ground beef. As starving as she was each time she took the meat she was careful not to bite my hand. I walked with her giving her a bite every few minutes finally she came over and laid in my lap I was crying so hard I could hardly see to walk. I talked to her and explained she had to trust me so I could take her and the babes home to care for them. I SWEAR this dog understood me we got up and of course very slowly I picked up ALL the babes and laid them on my blanket. I gave her a few minutes with them on the blanket them we moved to the van. The police officer stood there with his mouth hanging open. She was so weak I lifted her in the van and laid her next to all 9 of her babies. Two of the four are very weak but are trying to nurse the supplement bottle Im giving. The vet will be her in a few hours to check her out and get some b12 in her. She is in our outside building that is heated away from my kids in case she is ill but I truly think its just starvation. She is covered with fleas and so are the babies. Her ear tip has been eaten off by flies and there is no way I can explain the smell. As soon as I got her home I washed her behind that was green and black from dried blood and stuck together at least she is more comfortable.
So the next time I start preaching about desexing your dogs and you think I'm a little harsh go back and reread this post because I have every right. I'm the one that has to clean this mess up. Taking her 5 dead babes away from her then hoping she pulls through or I will be feeding every 2 hours. This is the worse case I have ever cared for the officer wanted to put her out of her misery.
As I walk into the building to check on her she raises her head and thumps her tail on the floor making it all worth it. I have decided she WILL make it she has the fight to live. Did I mention I will be paying for all the care because they were just going to put them down. I thought it was important for me to put this to paper while I have all these feeling rushing over me. I'm truly sick at my stomach ..
Esprit64

Wow

Post by Esprit64 »

AnnaNicole: My heart goes out to you, and to your courage and determination to help these animals. Yours is an incredible story.

Do you remember in years past how laughable it was when someone drove drunk, or how unthinkable it was for women to work, or how stealing cars was more important to track nationally than the kidnapping of a child? Suddenly, things changed.

When will we finally get it in our DNAs that ALL living things deserve our respect, regard and compassion?

I understand how you feel. I really do. Thank you for posting your story.
Esprit64

Wow

Post by Esprit64 »

AnnaNicole: My heart goes out to you, and to your courage and determination to help these animals. Yours is an incredible story.

Do you remember in years past how laughable it was when someone drove drunk, or how unthinkable it was for women to work, or how stealing cars was more important to track nationally than the kidnapping of a child? Suddenly, things changed.

When will we finally get it in our DNAs that ALL living things deserve our respect, regard and compassion?

I understand how you feel. I really do. Thank you for posting your story.
Ry

Post by Ry »

Dogs are abandoned all too often. It's upsetting and unfair. We've had dogs in my neighborhood left behind. Even family dogs 13 years old, left behind. Once even, a person from a neighboring street, tried to leave her dog in our yard, trying to get us to take care of it when we weren't home. People have to realize, that there are other options besides abandonment. People really need to realize that if they can't take care of a dog, don't get one. Anna, I'm glad that you are doing positive work for these animals. There aren't enough willing people like that in the world. We have quite a few, but not enough.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You have done a wonderful job there.

As for the mention about neutering - desexing - whatever you want to call it - this awful situation has nothing to do with neutering and everything to do with irresponsible dog ownership. Even if that ***** had been neutered, the kind of owner who abandoned her probably still would have, and the kind of owners who left dogs to roam and mate would still be leaving them to roam and get into other trouble.

Please do not make the common error of accusing everyone who keeps entire dogs of being irresponsible.
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

It was someone else on another dog webiste that rescued the poor little thing :( I've told her id send a donation to her if needs be becuase she does really good work.
Esprit64

Please post contact info

Post by Esprit64 »

Dear Anna Nicole: Is there some way you can post a place that we might send donations? Thanks.
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

I shall find out for you. An i shall pass the link on to you guys.
SassMcG

Post by SassMcG »

I used to work for an animal shelter and it was very sad when people brought in their pets for the silliest of reasons or just because they were tired of them. I noticed I began to get very cold hearted towards the people bringing in their animals and would make them feel just a little bit guilty if I could. Especially the people that had no good reason other than they were tired of the animal.
Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

I have SO MUCH MORE respect for someone who brings their animal to a shelter... rather than just ignore the animal in their own home. My neighbor has a lawn ornament... her dog sits in the yard, all alone, without interaction from her family. And, I dont' care if she gets upset with me for taking her dog out and letting him play with my dogs. It's horrible that *MY* dogs are his only interaction except to refill his self-feeding food and water bowls.

Crappy excuse or not... at least they are trying to re-home the animal.

Grrrr... the lawn ornament situation makes me so angry!!! :twisted:
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sass, I agree people brass you right off the way they treat their dogs, but can I ask you to keep your upset for when they have gone? Trouble is, if they get a frosty reception from kennel staff, next time they might not bring the dog in and just let it go somewhere.

You do a fine job with the dogs, and people work is by far the hardest - it's all psychology in the end. :wink:
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

Esprit, we are trying to sort soemthing out on the actual website which the womens on an we're gonna try an suprise her with something. So if it's donations i shall let you know, but ill let you know what happens incase anyone wants to get involved :)
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

Just to update you all about Hope (the doggy) Unfortunately she died :cry: when she gave brith to the pups the placenta stayed in her womb causing a masive infection. The pups who were less than a week old have been passed to someone whos ***** has jus ha dpups an they've now been adopted by her.
Esprit64

Wow

Post by Esprit64 »

A valient mother dog, who did everything she knew to protect her pups, comes to this kind of end. It makes me so sad.

I will be making an added donation to my local no-kill shelter and I will also volunteer some dog walking time.

If every person reading this post sent $1-5 as a donation to their no-kill shelters, think about what we could accomplish.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Please remember that this forum goes across the world. I find your remark extremely offensive doglover357.