Interesting and possibly touching video

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

k9Queen

Interesting and possibly touching video

Post by k9Queen »

Dog Buries Puppy in Viral Video That's (Almost) Too Heartbreaking to Watch

http://youtu.be/HVAlNOfjA2A

(Side note: Don't mind the moron throwing the bottle onto the grave. Karma!)
Flyby

Re: Interesting and possibly touching video

Post by Flyby »

Sorry K9Queen, it is touching to watch, but that's just not how I interpret the dogs behaviour. I don't want to be heartless, nor do I wish to offend peoples sensibilities who think that's a canine funeral they're watching. I just don't believe it is, but I hope you won't ask me to explain.

My terrier Pippin 'buries' his dinner bowl if he's not hungry. I have video of him doing it. I can post it on youtube if I can find it......
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, that is characteristic 'hiding food for later' behaviour.

In the days when I bred dogs and tried to 'save' weaklings - I rapidly learned this was unwise - I found that the b itches would try to bury live pups if the pups were dying or malformed. Probably if I hadn't intervened, they would have eaten them later, but much as I enjoy studying behaviour, that was a bridge too far for me.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
k9Queen

Post by k9Queen »

Flyby wrote:Sorry K9Queen, it is touching to watch, but that's just not how I interpret the dogs behaviour. I don't want to be heartless, nor do I wish to offend peoples sensibilities who think that's a canine funeral they're watching. I just don't believe it is, but I hope you won't ask me to explain.

My terrier Pippin 'buries' his dinner bowl if he's not hungry. I have video of him doing it. I can post it on youtube if I can find it......
I wrote the title that way because I don't want to tell people how to feel. A take it as you wish kind of thing. I wasn't giving my opinion on what I think is happening in the video. Although I do stand by my last statement about the bottle being thrown as if the dogs were trash, which unfortunately is true for society in the Middle East. Animals are garbage to them or only food and entertainment. They don't treat animals well there at all.

A side note: Deveraux does the same thing when she has her snacks. She tries to dig a hole in her bed, the furniture, or the carpets and "bury" her treasure with imaginary dirt or with anything else she can find to "cover" said treaure. :wink: :lol: Do all dogs do that? Every Border Collie I have seen does that, but I haven't noticed other dogs doing it. I would assume that they do it as well?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, good title, gave us all the freedom to see it as we saw it. :)

Those societies where animals are considered garbage do make me challenge the theory about the original dogs moving near to human settlements and domesticating themselves. All over the world there are settlements with midden dogs and street dogs on the periphery, and these dogs are despised. Nobody seems to have made any attempt to bring them into their lives for as long as the dogs and settlements have existed. One day we will find out how dogs came to join forces with us, but IMO it's highly unlikely to have been this way.

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

k9Queen wrote:Although I do stand by my last statement about the bottle being thrown as if the dogs were trash, which unfortunately is true for society in the Middle East. Animals are garbage to them or only food and entertainment. They don't treat animals well there at all.
According to wikipedia (so for what it's worth) Islam see's dogs as ritually unclean, not recommended as pets, but not forbidden either. further reading indicates that Islam also directs kindness to animals.

The middle east is predominantly Islamic and those beliefs will influence how people behave. and how the beliefs are taught will be a reflection of many factors and will fluctuate over time.

Economic situations will also influence how humans treat other animals as well. when your hungry, have very little financial resources, can barely take care of your self, providing for a dog or other pet is a major financial luxury.

Animals can also be viewed as competition for resources. look at our own attitudes towards wolves for example even though they are not any level of true threat to our well being.

a culture's attitude towards animals shouldn't be looked at simply as "oh they are mean/cruel" vs how we may view/treat animals. when you look deeper the comparison is sometimes an apples to orange verse apples to apples.

even in our recent past animals were food or labor predominately. pets are a luxury that simple survival makes difficult.

of course, having said that...even if you view animals as simply food or a source of labor, you can still treat the animals kindly.
Nettle wrote:Yes, good title, gave us all the freedom to see it as we saw it. :)

Those societies where animals are considered garbage do make me challenge the theory about the original dogs moving near to human settlements and domesticating themselves. All over the world there are settlements with midden dogs and street dogs on the periphery, and these dogs are despised. Nobody seems to have made any attempt to bring them into their lives for as long as the dogs and settlements have existed. One day we will find out how dogs came to join forces with us, but IMO it's highly unlikely to have been this way.
ray coppinger and clive wynne have some interesting thoughts on this question. but know one knows for sure. the human settlement theory may simply explain how the opening was created that lead to domestication. There does seem to be evidence that supports the argument that their theories (coopinger and wynne are not in complete agreement) are on the right track, but there are still missing pieces.

It's not a question I have spent much time on, but have a passing familiarity with the theory. While you bring up a good point, there is evidence that not all humans saw dogs as bad or despised them. so, while some groups may have said yuk, another appears to have say YES to dog.

To flush the question of how dogs came to be a bit more, we may need to look closer at those early groups of people and try and figure out why one group said yes to dogs and another said yuk.

Wynne has a rough theory that without a source of food for dogs other than simply hunting that dogs are a burden and not an advantage. And there does need to be a surplus of that food source.

no answers, just thoughts and hypothesis at this time.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Coppinger was way off beam when he/she/they hypothesized on aspects of hunting dogs. Some of the statements made me :shock: Doesn't mean everything else they theorised was wrong at all, but does hold up my 'question everything no matter how famous the scientist' stance.

It's reasonable to suppose that the Celts brought dogs all along Europe from southern Russia to UK, and the Celtic tribes in general were well-known dog-keepers as well as keen hunters. But how they started off is still wide open to conjecture.

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote:Coppinger was way off beam when he/she/they hypothesized on aspects of hunting dogs.
not surprised. there is a serious shortage in understanding and experience in this area.

it is a fun question, but I think people need to keep in mind there is still far more conjecture than solid and complete theories and we need to be careful taking the various hypothesis as gospel.

yes, some of the guesses guess seem to be more on the right track than others, but for every "answer", new questions are popping up.