Treatment for cut paw pad

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Esprit64

Treatment for cut paw pad

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello--anyone have any tips for treating a cut paw pad? I have a lab mix and she is not tolerating her foot's bandage well--she chews and bites it off. I am trying to keep the cut tight together to heal (not tight, just firm), I know it's hard to get these pads healed. After several tries, I've bandaged, put a sock over the foot, then duct-taped strategic points to keep the bandage on. Everything I'm doing is not working--anyone have any suggestions to keep her from biting the bandage off?

When do you know if the wound needs stitches? I understand that these things are tricky, the cut is about 1/8" deep, 1/4" long. Other sites are stating that some of these injuries cannot be stitched. Thanks for any info. :roll:
griffin

Post by griffin »

I would recommend a trip to your vet. Cuts on the feet are "normal" but can also be very serious. Even a small cut can lead to infection, not a good thing.

Your vet and address the issue of chewing off the bandage and apply said bandage properly. You may think it is going on right, but your dog may be biting it off because it hurts, it is too tight.
Esprit64

Treatment tried

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello--I just wanted to post an update on my dog's cut pad. I came across a product that contains hydrolysate of collagen. The product is sold as a gel. The product not only seals the wound (much like pouring cement into a hole), but its ingredients work to heal and seal the wound.

From a website, I learned: Collagen is the primary structural protein found in the connective tissues in the body (including the skin, bones, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments), and commercially it is derived from either fish (marine sources), beef (bovine sources), or pig (porcine sources). Hydrolyzed collagen consists of water-soluble peptides which are rich sources of the amino acids glycine, L-proline and L-hydroxyproline.

I found a leading product with this key ingredient in a sports/outfitter store. The gel not only coats the skin like plastic wrap on a dish, but dries in seconds, yet when dry, you do not feel any pulling of the product against the skin. I put it on the top of my own hand, when dry, I pulled my skin, didn't even know that the product has been applied.

The product also helps the pad to heal. I came across many opinions that the dog's pads are very tough to stitch and have the stitches hold--several folks reported getting expensive "surgery" only to have the stitches fall out on the ride home--stitches were considered ill-advised even with opinions posted by vets. The gel fills into the wound, seals it, and its ingredients help to heal the wound.

Before adding the gel, I once again washed the paw with soap and water, put on a thin layer of anti-biotic, then this gel. Since my dog is a lab mix, she loves to chew off her bandages. Therefore, after applying the meds, I wrap her foot in bandages and adhesive tape snugly but not tightly. I then take some old ankle socks, cover the foot and have used duct tape to wrap snugly not tightly around the foot just above the toe-bend and "elbow." For an added touch, I spray the bandage lightly with a taste she doesn't like to discourage her chewing. I'm noticing over time that she is less and less interested in chewing off her bandages.

From my reading, it seems that wounds on dog pads can take a month or more to heal. Walking on pavement is not a good idea, even walking at all. But since that's not practical, we're limiting walking to grassy areas.

As I write this, I'm six days out from the date the injury occurred. One thing seems clear, once cut, those pads don't like coming back together to heal. I hope this product helps. We'll see.
catrinsparkles

Post by catrinsparkles »

the inside of a dogs pad is like a highly compressed spongue and will spring out once the outside layer of the pad has been split open.

A cut pad should always have vetenary treatment and often needs an small op to have some of the spongey tissue cut away in order for the two edges of the outside layer of the pad to be stiched together.....other wise the cut will keep springing open.
griffin

Re: Treatment tried

Post by griffin »

Esprit64 wrote:Hello--I just wanted to post an update on my dog's cut pad. I came across a product that contains hydrolysate of collagen. The product is sold as a gel. The product not only seals the wound (much like pouring cement into a hole), but its ingredients work to heal and seal the wound.

From a website, I learned: Collagen is the primary structural protein found in the connective tissues in the body (including the skin, bones, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments), and commercially it is derived from either fish (marine sources), beef (bovine sources), or pig (porcine sources). Hydrolyzed collagen consists of water-soluble peptides which are rich sources of the amino acids glycine, L-proline and L-hydroxyproline.

I found a leading product with this key ingredient in a sports/outfitter store. The gel not only coats the skin like plastic wrap on a dish, but dries in seconds, yet when dry, you do not feel any pulling of the product against the skin. I put it on the top of my own hand, when dry, I pulled my skin, didn't even know that the product has been applied.

The product also helps the pad to heal. I came across many opinions that the dog's pads are very tough to stitch and have the stitches hold--several folks reported getting expensive "surgery" only to have the stitches fall out on the ride home--stitches were considered ill-advised even with opinions posted by vets. The gel fills into the wound, seals it, and its ingredients help to heal the wound.

Before adding the gel, I once again washed the paw with soap and water, put on a thin layer of anti-biotic, then this gel. Since my dog is a lab mix, she loves to chew off her bandages. Therefore, after applying the meds, I wrap her foot in bandages and adhesive tape snugly but not tightly. I then take some old ankle socks, cover the foot and have used duct tape to wrap snugly not tightly around the foot just above the toe-bend and "elbow." For an added touch, I spray the bandage lightly with a taste she doesn't like to discourage her chewing. I'm noticing over time that she is less and less interested in chewing off her bandages.

From my reading, it seems that wounds on dog pads can take a month or more to heal. Walking on pavement is not a good idea, even walking at all. But since that's not practical, we're limiting walking to grassy areas.

As I write this, I'm six days out from the date the injury occurred. One thing seems clear, once cut, those pads don't like coming back together to heal. I hope this product helps. We'll see.

One thing you must be careful with is infection. This product may seal up the wound, but it may also seal IN the germs, cause and infection.

I again would encourage you to take the dog to the vet. Dogs, unlike humans, are not that easy to spot an infection. Sure, there are some signs, but at least in humans you see a red blotch, it hurts and a human can tell you.

In a dog you may not know it until it is very harmful to the dog.
catrinsparkles

Re: Treatment tried

Post by catrinsparkles »

griffin wrote:
Esprit64 wrote:Hello--I just wanted to post an update on my dog's cut pad. I came across a product that contains hydrolysate of collagen. The product is sold as a gel. The product not only seals the wound (much like pouring cement into a hole), but its ingredients work to heal and seal the wound.

One thing you must be careful with is infection. This product may seal up the wound, but it may also seal IN the germs, cause and infection.

I again would encourage you to take the dog to the vet. Dogs, unlike humans, are not that easy to spot an infection. Sure, there are some signs, but at least in humans you see a red blotch, it hurts and a human can tell you.

In a dog you may not know it until it is very harmful to the dog.
I agree - he really should go to the vets. I once saw a dog with a similar injury and the owner brought him in three days after the cut happened. He then had to have the wound reopened a piece of the inside of the pad removed and the thing restitched again.

Best to pop him to the vet to find out - just in case.
Esprit64

It's hard to know

Post by Esprit64 »

It's very hard to know which way to go on this. I talked with friends in Minnesota who compete in skijoring and sled teams. They told me that when these injuries occur, they clean the wound and bind it and sideline the dog with a bootie on for days/weeks, depending on the cut. They also stated that stitched paw pads is not something that they found successful.

I'm watching this wound carefully and feel that progress is being made. Maybe I'm doing the right thing, maybe it's just lucky. I just have to wait and see.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Stitching isn't good with paw pads

It IS easy to seal infection in with any covering

We only know what you post, and we wouldn't like to be responsible accidentally for your dog getting worse instead of better, which is why you have received the answers you had. We have not seen the injury, and in UK (don't know about where you are) it is illegal for non-vets to give veterinary advice, even if they have decades of experience of similar injuries.

So - inevitably - we have to suggest you see a vet :wink: but what you actually do is up to you, and if you have very experienced people at hand to help you and keep an eye on the injury so that if anything is going wrong they can see it, you might well choose to follow their advice not ours.

In which case, reflect: is there any point in asking us when we can't see the injury and don't know your background help?

Behaviour and training-wise - we can be very useful, and all within the law.
Esprit64

Chatting is OK

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello and thanks to everyone for their comments. May I make the following comments with respect for all here who were kind enough to post? :(

I respectfully believe that the point of posting in sites like this is to request and gather opinion, share experiences and to ultimately proceed with our own right answers--from whatever sources we believe are best. Of course, I don't know the skills or qualifications of the people who post here just like those kind enough to respond don't know the extent of the injury I'm discussing. However, I appreciate people's willingness to share what they've done or are willing to say what they best feel needs to be done. I would still like to hear what people have to say, regardless of the communication and factual limitations of forums such as these.

Here in the US, we have a fee-based and fear-based healthcare system. It is very difficult to trust professional opinions when the industries' goal is to desperately generate fees based on how best to exploit the situation presented to them, because profit is not made by limiting services, using cheaper services, keeping people healthy or helping them to heal quickly. Keeping people fearful, confused, misdirected or suggesting they are always wrong for not following professional advice, keeps the medical community employed. It is for reasons like these that people are turning to alternative care and self-help communities--our health is not necessarily the priority concern for doctors or vets we may consult. Despite having written all this, there are good doctors and vets out there.

In turn, I have had vet experiences in which costly services were recommended only to learn later that the recommendation was ill-advised. Because of my own experiences, in any healthcare matter, I now research first any concerns and if at all possible and if I do choose to see a vet, I prefer to be prepared before I see one. Knowing what is, what the usual treatments are, statistically what works and doesn't, keeps the vet's advice more honest and avoids unnecessary fee-generation.

Despite the limits of posting relative to responders not seeing this injury before responding, I prefer asking for opinions regardless. I believe the point is to learn from what people write about their experiences or opinions, or to choose to disregard what is written. I would not wish to visit any forum in which people were discouraged from chatting.

Respectfully, I too often see discouragement or dire consequences for people daring to participate in their own healthcare. People were taking care of themselves holistically for thousands of years before 200 years of allopathic care came on the scene and told us we simply cannot think for ourselves. Look at how bad US health has become despite so-called superiority--and how disease and other bad news is getting worse instead of better. Yes, I clearly don't trust US healthcare systems, whether for people or for animals. Unfortunately, it is for very good reasons for losses experienced. I must use these experiences to my advantage and thus use due caution before using any heathcare. And, there is also due caution needed when reading any posts--what's the right answer?--I read posts for clues then do my own research and consult opinions--but ultimately, I beleve it's up to each of us to decide how we'll proceed.

Again, may I again thank everyone for their comments.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Here in the US, we have a fee-based and fear-based healthcare system. It is very difficult to trust professional opinions when the industries' goal is to desperately generate fees based on how best to exploit the situation presented to them, because profit is not made by limiting services, using cheaper services, keeping people healthy or helping them to heal quickly. Keeping people fearful, confused, misdirected or suggesting they are always wrong for not following professional advice, keeps the medical community employed. It is for reasons like these that people are turning to alternative care and self-help communities--our health is not necessarily the priority concern for doctors or vets we may consult. Despite having written all this, there are good doctors and vets out there.
I'm in the US, and my opinion is that you need to find a better vet, and a better primary care doctor for yourself.

Also, of course, not go in with the assumption that they must be lieing to you with the sole goal of cheating you in mind.

(Yes, our health care system is screwed up. We need big changes. But most people don't go to medical school or vet school with the primary goal of gouging patients or clients. There are easier ways to make lots of money--especially considering that most vets don't make what you apparently think they do.)

Lis
Esprit64

Dear Lis

Post by Esprit64 »

Please know that my previous comments were based in statistical research and historical data from credible sources over many years. My conclusions for my own family are based on loss of family and pets--and why. For compelling reasons, I cannot discount my own experiences with previous vets, they're quite real. I believe that there are political reasons for what is happening to each of us and our inability to access good healthcare. The USs healthcare track record, whether human or animal, in comparison to 30 industrialized countries worldwide has been proven to be exploitive and dangerous. The World Health Organization and USGAO are just two of many, many publishing organizations that have investigated the quality and results of our US healthcare system.

Despite your comments, in my opinion, I do not believe it is easy to find a good doctor or vet--as you seem to infer. I believe that there are insurance, economic, market and political reasons why this is so. I'm aware of the vet industry, its take-home pay, and its industry problems it seeks to resolve.

I hope that we are all entitled to share our experiences and our opinions without dodging assumption bullets aimed with attitude at us for thinking differently than someone else. Although I could debate and support what I've written above, let's not. Please let's just take a breath.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Please know that my previous comments were based in statistical research and historical data from credible sources over many years.
An argument from Authority without even identifying the Authority doesn't impress me, sorry.
My conclusions for my own family are based on loss of family and pets--and why. For compelling reasons, I cannot discount my own experiences with previous vets, they're quite real.
So which is it, objective data, or painful but necessarily anecdotal personal experience?
I believe that there are political reasons for what is happening to each of us and our inability to access good healthcare. The USs healthcare track record, whether human or animal, in comparison to 30 industrialized countries worldwide has been proven to be exploitive and dangerous. The World Health Organization and USGAO are just two of many, many publishing organizations that have investigated the quality and results of our US healthcare system.
Yes indeedy--but the animal health care system is quite different from the human health care system. Just for starters, you have a lot more freedom of choice in picking your vet than your own doctor.
I hope that we are all entitled to share our experiences and our opinions without dodging assumption bullets aimed with attitude at us for thinking differently than someone else. Although I could debate and support what I've written above, let's not. Please let's just take a breath.
Um, yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it? And so nice that you're not making any sweeping assumptions about me!

Or, um, giving us Attitude.

Our choice of doctors for ourselves is often ridiculously constrained in ways our UK friends probably can't imagine, but we don't face those constraints in picking vets for our pets. Unless there's a very limited supply of vets in your area (which in some places there certainly is) you have total freedom to check out different vets, set up informational appointments, get references from other pet owners--unless there's just a very limited supply of vets in your area, you can find the good ones, of whom there are many.

Lis
Esprit64

Dear Lis

Post by Esprit64 »

Thank you for your expected response. As I tried to politely infer in my previous post, I'm not interested in engaging in sarcasm or one-upmanship with you. You continue reading my posts as "what you want to hear" and are then ready to respond sarcastically. I believe that your responses are simply satisfyling your need for a fight, and that they are not a helpful exchange of ideas or information.

Post again if you wish if it satisfies your needs. Make it sound really good this time. Of course, you are going to receive this response yet again in ways that satisfy you as well.

I am just going to return to the topic of this message board.
K22FatherGoose

Treatment For Cut Paw:

Post by K22FatherGoose »

Dear Lis: I agree with Esprit64. When people start flaming others, I'm really not interested in what they have to say. :D
Maddie'sMom

Post by Maddie'sMom »

how is the dog doing today? 8)