steroids??

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

moonie

steroids??

Post by moonie »

Took my pup to the vet today (17wks 15.5kg) because of a change in behavior and pulling faces when going into sitting/lying down. The last couple of days his back legs have been quivering when he puts his head down to eat/drink/sniff and also he accidentally sits down when pooing, then when squatting seems unable to hold position. His legs are under him strangely at these times and he seems unbalanced often, even when not bending in any way (the things that popped into my head were wobblers and shivers)
Something about the vet terrified him and he did what he always does when very scared- 'froze up'.
The vet was unsympathetic and kept saying he was bad and he peed himself (He's been there before for a puppy check with another vet and to be weighed on seperate occaisions and was fine).
The neurological exam was ok, although he didn't react when she pricked him with the test needle. Again she kept saying he was bad and to 'stop it' because he was so tense with fear.
She then injected him with dexadreson (by which time he was a rigid canine draught excluder, pressed into the door as much as he could without becoming part of it) and said to take him back tomorrow to see if it worked. If so she will put him on a course of steroids, if not there will be further investigation - x-rays etc.
Now, I am very unimpressed (to put it mildly) with how she treated my boy and how short she was with me. It upset me enough that I was unable to even comment that he was not bad and if anything was being good by not becoming aggressive when so scared and treated in that manner (when he wouldn't go into the room with her she came out and chased him in and was generally rougher than neccessary). I respect that vets are busy people, but aren't they supposed to treat animals with warm, gentle care?
So, as it wasn't explained, how do steroids affect a growing puppy?
As he is a giant breed I am careful to monitor his growth and ensure nothing happens that would be detramental to his joints/bones/ligaments. Could steroids cause him a problem?
Honestly I would rather not take him back to that vet (again, to put it mildly), so what do I do? I'm trying to be sensible and so the best for my pup.
What could be wrong with him? Could a fall have caused this?
Where do I stand with second opinion/seeing an alternative vet at the surgery? I don't want to alienate the surgery I'm registered with or should I find an alternative place?
I know I was a wimp and should have given her the version of my tongue that has been known to make grown men cry, but honestly I was so shocked by what happened and the fact she didn't even seem to like animals - at least mine- that I did similar to pup and couldn't speak.

Sorry for yet another loooong post from me, but I'm trying to be thorough.
Any ideas from anyone, as you are all so much more knowledgeable than me will be gratefully received.
Thanks.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Wow, first things first, find a new vet, get a second opinion. I know how steroids affect humans, but dogs and other animals, I am not certain. However,as I said, please get a second opinion, it appears there is more to his problem than just needing a shot.

His issues with sitting/squatting could be a multitude of things, from neurological to just weakness from diet, yes, that great of difference. Yes, a fall could be part of the problem, perhaps injuring his back, which would weaken his legs. However, there are too many things to check to give you a reason for his issue.

Here http://www.vet4petz.com/pharmacy/steroids.htm is a good place to start for information on steroid use in dogs.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Griffin's right, find another vet and get a second opinion. This is potentially quite serious, and getting a second opinion is just good sense.

And you don't care (too much) if you offend this particular vet, because you're not going to use her again. As to whether you change surgeries--if there is another vet there that you're comfortable with, you can tell them that you want to see that doctor instead. If they question it, you can politely explain that you weren't comfortable with how this other doctor handled your dog, and you wish to see the doctor you find more compatible.

If there isn't someone you have real confidence in there, or if they resist your request to change vets, find another surgery.

At the vet hospital I and my sister use, there are a number of vets, several of whom we are very comfortable with and have confidence in, and one whom we don't. When we make appointments, we always specify which vet we want to see--first choice varies on whether it's one of the dogs or one of the cats. Sometimes we have to wait a little longer to see a specific person, or sometimes we take an appointment with one of the others we are comfortable with, but nobody questions our preference for one vet over another--in fact, they almost always ask if we have a preference.

If your current place isn't willing to accomdate your preferences, find another place.

Lis
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Change your vet, not only has he caused a problem with your dog, he will be terrified every time he goes to the vets now, he didn't care enough to try and work out what was wrong and just wants to give steroids. Several dogs recently have been to vets like this and all had to fight for their lives because a vet gave steroids without finding out the cause. Steriods do have a job, but can do more harm than good if given at the wrong time for the wrong thing.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ry

Post by Ry »

?!?!?

Hm? As with the others, I'm telling you, get another vet. Vets are supposed to be able to treat animals with care and respect, if they are going to take the easy way out, that's not going to be effective. Now, you say the dog is of a larger breed? We all know that large dogs are prone to get hip and leg problems. Perhapse this is the case, although so early, I'm surprised. Although, I do think that (stating the obvious), that this is the root of the strange behavior. A second opinion is always the best option. Is it possible to find a trustworthy vet, or can a friend recommend one Hope you can get everything solved soon. No one likes an unhappy dog. Good luck.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Also consider that a good vet will discuss treatment options and prognosis, not just whack medication into a dog without asking the owner first.

You don't have to watch your dog undergo any treatment you aren't happy with. You can always say you need to think about it first.
moonie

Post by moonie »

Went to another vet - he was terrified, naturally, but he was so good with him (and got a kiss on the ear for his troubles - after getting his hand peed on at first).
He is ok, but may need x-rays at a year if there are signs of anything, but it does seem to have settled down anyway. His back legs don't look quite so scrawny either, so maybe a little growth spurt put me in paranoid mum mode. Dodgy back legs (as well as cancer) led to the death of my last dog as she was badly formed and badly treated as a youngster by her first owners, so although unrelated it may be why I panicked and ended up dealing with it badly (i.e. not telling that vet where to go).
Her death hit me so hard as I had her for over half my life and she helped me through some very difficult times so the fear of something being wrong with my pup and possibly losing another dog was awful.
Definite over-reaction made me unable to handle it well.
Using a mekuti harness has helped him build up more evenly over his body (even after just under a week) as he had begun pulling on the lead (and therefore not using his back legs as much as the front)after starting out excellently at loose-lead, so maybe that's also helped.
It was one of the partners at the vet practice I didn't want to alienate as he is very good - really didn't care about the woman who terrified my boy-but in the end I couldn't face taking him back there full stop.
As for those steroids, boy did we have a night of it.
Full big wees every five to fifteen minutes. He had four accidents in the house in half an hour in between doing more in the garden. Maybe the scare also contributed.
Nightmare! Poor thing was knackered at the end of it and I was worried about dehydration so kept making sure he was drinking enough. In the end he'd look at me like I was insane because of my fascination with his bowl.
So, he's doing well now except he still attacks me, though not as frequently or persistantly (try telling that to my bruised, bleeding flesh).
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

I'm glad he's doing better, and that things seem to be looking up.

Lis