My dog's ears

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

aleiram

My dog's ears

Post by aleiram »

Okay, so I'm a new user although I've been here a couple times and I have a quick question.

Recently, my dog's right ear has started to flop to the front instead of just sitting on the side like it used to. I tried to "fix it" but it keeps moving back.

Why would this happen?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What breed of dog do you have?

How old is your dog?

How did you try to fix it?

Why do you want to fix it? :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
aleiram

my dog's ear

Post by aleiram »

he's 4 and a half months old and he's a germman shepherd australian shepherd mix. his ears droop down, they're not straight up like a german shepherd. in order to try and keep the ear from drooping forward, i taped it back for a while... it worked temporarily, but then it drooped forward again... i don't mind, it looks cute, i was just wondering why it would happen.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Is he teething?

I don't know that much about GSDs or Aussies, but with Chinese Cresteds, it's fairly common for the ears to become floppy around teething. What most people do if they're serious about it is tape the ears again for a few weeks, and maybe add a bit of extra calcium to the diet.

Lis
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Is he teething?

I don't know that much about GSDs or Aussies, but with Chinese Cresteds, it's fairly common for the ears to become floppy around teething. What most people do if they're serious about it is tape the ears again for a few weeks, and maybe add a bit of extra calcium to the diet.

Lis
griffin

Re: my dog's ear

Post by griffin »

aleiram wrote:he's 4 and a half months old and he's a germman shepherd australian shepherd mix. his ears droop down, they're not straight up like a german shepherd. in order to try and keep the ear from drooping forward, i taped it back for a while... it worked temporarily, but then it drooped forward again... i don't mind, it looks cute, i was just wondering why it would happen.
The bolded part is why. Australian Sheppards have floppy ears. The gene for the ears in your dog is from the Aussie, not the German.. :lol: My lab/sheppard got the sheppard coat & markings (along with the mane!) but the lab face and ears...

Can you crop them? Sure, a vet will pin them for you, if that's what you realy want.....
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

GSDs do get floppy ears when teething, but also as griffin says, you have a cross-breed, so you should not expect the ears to stand up.

Just go with whatever Nature gives you.
Ry

Post by Ry »

Just curious, why do you want to have it "fixed" again?
aleiram

my dog

Post by aleiram »

it's not the floppyness of the ears, it's the fact that it moved forward, i guess it like twisted. i don't mind it at all, it looks cute :D , i was just wondering why it would happen...