Alpha roll your rat...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Alpha roll your rat...

Post by JudyN »

After a discussion with someone on another forum about rats and a little investigation, I've discovered the 'show your pet who's boss' approach has extended to rats :evil:
> Take a tip from your big dude rat...Show the little
> thug who is *really* in charge. [snip]
> Put some of your urine in a cup and set it aside.
> Grab the little imp and flip him on his back,
> agressively scratch his belly and brush
> your urine on his nose and belly and sex
> organs... If he protests,yell:"NO!" and
> continue to hold him on his back. Release
> him. If he gets up fast,throw him on his
> back and hold him till he squeaks. When he
> gets up slowly, let him. Do this several
> times a day when you feel like it and especially
> if he gets nippy.
Having had rats, all I can say is I despair, I really do....

I wonder if anyone's ever suggested peeing on your dog while alpha rolling it? :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Alpha roll your rat...

Post by Nettle »

Please tell me that's a joke........... :o Jeepers.

I thought the advice of rubbing a dirty nappy up the wall to show your dog the baby was above him was as bad as it got, but clearly it isn't. :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's no joke, Nettle - it's called the flip-and-pee technique apparently :?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would lose several fingers and my boys trust if I tried that with either of them!

They do routinely pin one another, but where this happens, its one that offers to roll over - if the one on top then takes the wossname, he gets bitten, quite badly sometimes!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:Do this several
> times a day when you feel like it
When you feel like it??? Why would you ever feel like pinning down a rat and rubbing pee on them?

Surely this is just someone taking the mick "mwha ha ha I know how to get these fools to soak their hands with their own pee AND get them bitten too, it will be glorious mwha ha ha ha".

Ok so I know it's more likely that someone just thinks they're a rat genius and they've unlocked the code to rat whispering :roll: :evil: .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
gwd

Post by gwd »

WufWuf wrote:
JudyN wrote:Do this several
> times a day when you feel like it
When you feel like it??? Why would you ever feel like pinning down a rat and rubbing pee on them?
and i now realize what's been missing in my life. that empty feeling of incompleteness.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:lol: @ gwd

I realised this afternoon why peeing on your dog while alpha rolling it would never catch on - it would take one brave, stupid man to pin a dog down and then expose his 'peeing equipment' (though I'm tempted to put the suggestion to Cesar Milan :twisted: ).

However, with a tame, trusting rat, you can roll them over and tickle them - and they laugh :D Very quietly, it has to be said...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-admRGFVNM
tylerthegiant

Post by tylerthegiant »

Most ridiculous thing ever. Apparently there's great concern out there for some about what the "little thug" might do if not properly alpha rolled five times a day.

Now, does anyone give advise on this rat board on how to clicker train rats? Because that would be cool, I'd like to see that. If Karen Pryor can train a hermit crab to ring a bell, clicker training a rat should be easy as pie and people should be lining up to teach their rats things.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

tylerthegiant wrote:Most ridiculous thing ever. Apparently there's great concern out there for some about what the "little thug" might do if not properly alpha rolled five times a day.

Now, does anyone give advise on this rat board on how to clicker train rats? Because that would be cool, I'd like to see that. If Karen Pryor can train a hermit crab to ring a bell, clicker training a rat should be easy as pie and people should be lining up to teach their rats things.
Karen Pryor has some info on training rats, including clicker training, here: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/2845

The four rats I had never bit me (apart from one when he was being euthanased by a cack-handed young vet for which I forgave the rate completely but not the vet :evil: ). But if one had it would have never occurred to me that I needed to show it who was boss - I would have doubtless put it down to fear. The two girls were nervous but fromage fraise on the end of long spoons gradually brought them out of hiding - then my preferred method for bonding was to wear a fleece which was tight round the hips, pop them inside and give them the occasional treat. I got some funny looks if someone came to the door and I answered it with mobile lumps under my top :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have had a few boys who would take 'does you has a flavour' type investigative nibbles a wee bit too far, and I do think there was an element of 'and what happens if I do thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis...' to it - I just yelped, loudly. They zoomed back to their cage and thought about it and generally speaking, that didn't need repeating often!

The only time I have had rats bite and mean business though is when they were scared or in pain - the worst being Moose who was dying, and I was moving him to a carrier to go to the vets, thinking he was really out of it I picked him up...

Turns out the desire to live is pretty strong even in a 4 year old rat that is almost wheezing his last - he latched onto the base of my thumb and hung there and would NOT let go and I had to dig very deep to resist the urge to shake him off or pull him off!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:
> Take a tip from your big dude rat...Show the little
> thug who is *really* in charge. [snip]
> Put some of your urine in a cup and set it aside.
> Grab the little imp and flip him on his back,
> agressively scratch his belly and brush
> your urine on his nose and belly and sex
> organs.
.. If he protests,yell:"NO!" and
> continue to hold him on his back. Release
> him. If he gets up fast,throw him on his
> back and hold him till he squeaks. When he
> gets up slowly, let him. Do this several
> times a day when you feel like it and especially
> if he gets nippy.
I keep reading this thread...expecting Judy to give the punch line to the joke...

I just can't get past the parts on bold. that someone actually dreamed this up and is passing this around as advice. this has got to be a joke...has to be.....
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

jacksdad wrote: this has got to be a joke...has to be.....
Admittedly, there's not a lot of it out there - or at least, I haven't found much. But here's a link to a page on a rat website that discusses it: http://www.ratbehavior.org/WhatIsMyRatD ... tm#FlipPee

And have a look at the posts by Rat Daddy in this thread: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php? ... aggressive He only recommends flipping and tickling, but still talks a lot about dominance.

Can you imagine how careful I have to be googling this stuff for your education? I haven't tried an image search on 'flip and pee' and I don't think I will :shock: :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It must give an adult human a really big buzz to 'dominate' something the size of a rat. :roll:

gwd

Post by gwd »

a rat ran along my fence line today.......i thought about trying to catch him and give him either a role or a tickle but then it occured to me that wild rats probably wouldn't enjoy either.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My dogs give wild rats little rolls and tickles and I can confirm the rats don't seem to like it at all......