Dog Whining

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

Dog Whining

Post by Bingles »

Hiya everyone,

JUst wondering Bingles is now just gone 6 months and I know poeple were saying it can be anytime now she will go into Heat for the first time. Well I have noticed she keeps whining and whimpering for reasons I don't know she don't seem to be in any pain and is playing happily just making the noises could this be her getting ready do you think?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I know how you feel Teagan is 8 months and I'm still sympton-spotting for her first season!

Her vulva will become more swollen I believe and you likely will see a bloody discharge, probably on her bedding or when she's been sat/laid still for a while. I've only had one ***** come into season while I've looked after her though so hopefully more advice will be along soon x
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Pre-heat warnings: her coat may become softer, she may need to wee more often (might have to get up in the night) she may scent-mark when out on walks, she may be more clinging, more independent or just infuriating :lol: she may display humping behaviour.

Heat starts with red fluid dripping from vulva. Some dogs keep very clean and others are sluts! If you notice her licking there a lot, something might be starting.

After a few days the vulva will swell, and it will stay swollen for the duration of the heat which is about 3 weeks but can go on for a fourth in some dogs.

She will be at her most fertile 10-14 days, but bitches can conceive well outside these times, so be vigilant and do not give her the chance to mate. As the heat finishes, her vulva will shrink back to normal size. Some male dogs find bitches even more alluring at this time, so stay well away from them for another week.

The first heat can be quite different from those that follow as her hormones will be sorting themselves out. First heats can be any time from 6 months onwards depending on breed: some will go a year or more before they come into heat.

After the heat comes the false pregnancy [/i]which is natural and normal and nothing to worry about. Some bitches hardly show and others get protruding nipples, milk, become grumpy or reclusive, make nests and cuddle soft toys, wander about squeaking this is natural and normal and nothing for humans to stress about After about three weeks, the FP will be over and the ***** will be back to her normal cheerful self.

Things to watch during FP:

Gently check the mammaries (NO SQUEEZING) for mastitis. I've never actually known a spontaneous mastitis in FP but it can happen. Otherwise leave those titties alone!

Don't let people get in her face and particularly not near her nest if she has invisible puppies. Be extra careful with children, who must not approach her if she wants to be alone.

If there is a lot of milk, homeopathic pulsatilla is brilliant at stopping it safely.

Some behaviourists say take the toys away but I say ROT let her have toys if she wants.

She needs LOTS of exercise during FP, and slightly less food.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Thankyou so much Nettle for that very indepth reply it has been a great help.

Every morning I get up looking for blood and everytime she does something new I am thinking I wonder is this is and I feel like a perve looking at her lady area every morning lol.

Have a bit more insite to what will happen helps loads thanks again

and

Thanks danabanana for your reply too. My sis in law dog has just gone into heat recently and she is about 8 months. She said she is driving her mad howling in the night. I can't wait lol

Thanks for your help.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can never say 'never' where dogs are concerned, :D but I have NEVER heard of a ***** howling during her season - maybe the howling is for another reason? Has she been shut out of somewhere she normally has access?
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

not as far as I know nettle i think she is kept in the kitchen at night same as she always has but I will ask her when i see her.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Nettle I was just re reading your post to me and was just wondering if bingles mammaries get mastitis what should I do? Is it a trip to the vet?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Eek Bingles I hope she doesn't howl!? She has one mean howl and would keep the whole street awake!

Going to add to this thread as I have a few more questions myself regarding seasons:

There is a neutered male staffy in the house - they don't sleep together and have separate crates for when noone is there to supervise them. But when Teagan does come into season is there any need to keep them apart completely? Or will they be ok to play in the garden together like they do now (always supervised though, it's still a bit new for both of them). Can I still take her out on walks if I keep her on lead and avoid other dogs at all costs!? I imagine she'd go crazy being confined to the house and garden. I have someone who can look after her for me if needs be, but with the staffy being neutered I was hoping it would be ok for her to stay with me x
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some neutered dogs can and mate and tie. there won't be pups, but there can be infections introduced into the *****'s vagina, a place where you absolutely do not want infections - and the dog can get damaged if the ***** struggles in the tie (sorry if too much information, but dog mating is not as straightforward as you might think).

Some neutered dogs are perfectly happy with an on-heat ***** and never attempt to mate, and are rather smug about having their own girlfriend - BUT BIG BUT this can make them very protective, even when out on walks and even if the ***** isn't on the walk with them.

Some dogs will attack a neutered male that smells of on-heat *****. Some will try to hump him.

I walk my bitches when on heat - they are fit athletes and need the exercise - but I keep away from doggy areas and busy times, keep my eyes on the horizon and don't take any chances. Locally, I tell people with entire dogs when I will be exercising and they are nice enough to keep to a different time and/or place - we all work together. I am lucky to have this level of co-operation.

If you can, drive to the walk and drive back rather than leaving *****-scent by your front door!

I also walk my male dog with the bitches at the beginning and end of the season as he keeps the other dogs away, but when the bitches are ready to mate of course he and they don't meet.

I used to have some private land to exercise on but it's been sold now, so I just get up early and keep a good look-out.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Joe was neutered 11 years ago and still tries to get his wicked way with Gracie every evening just before going to bed. He doesn't do it with my other 3 bitches, just Gracie. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]