hi all

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

hi all

Post by meggit »

well its been a while since ive been here i see posts from nettle (hi glad to see you are still here) but no posts from emmabeth is she ok in fact nettle is the only name i remember. quick update buddy is doing great hes not as reactive as he was we can now stay in a field that has other dogs in and stay focused which is fantastic he will still bark at every dog we pass while he is on lead even if i cross the road, run the other way ive even ran round corners to get out of sight of the other dog and he still has to shout bless him, hubby says hes just like a woman has to get the last word in lol but he is a constant joy to me and i have my friends on here to thank for that,
well bye for now all xx
jacksdad

Re: hi all

Post by jacksdad »

Nice to hear from you again. Sounds like buddy is progressing. just keep trying to keep his safe distance from other dogs while on leash. As you know there is a distance from other dogs that he won't bark. not always easy. just keep doing your best.

As for Emmabeth..... we launched a coup and now the inmates run the asylum....muwahahahahahahah :twisted: :lol:
meggit

Post by meggit »

yea jacksdad i still watch carefully for any signs of stress but its getting better he can cope with lots more than he used to be able to but as we know one bad walk can stress him for a while so i pick where im going very carefully now but i dont stress anymore i know i can handle it now so that makes it easier, well say that but i got mugged by a beagle yesterday buddy wasnt bothered he was to busy sniffing but this beagle was " i know theres food somewhere i can smell it i know its here hand it over" it was so funny wathching the owner running across the field shouting at the dog and im wathcing buddy who's just got his nose stuck in a smell that was obvioulsy so good he never saw a thing lol poor owner of said beagle was out of breath though, by the time buddy got his head out of the good sniff it was all over (whew sigh of relif) but his reactions to other stuff is getting better allthough the plastic bag blowing along the path did cause complete chaos lol
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hi Meggit, good to hear from you and Buddy :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

meggit wrote: i still watch carefully for any signs of stress but its getting better he can cope with lots more
that he is able to deal with more is a sign of progress. That your not forcing him to deal with more is awesome. Another good sign of progress is his recovery time from something stressful. As he can handled more, his recovery time should shrink.
meggit wrote:.... buddy who's just got his nose stuck in a smell that was obvioulsy so good he never saw a thing ...
trust me, buddy knew the beagle was there. this is another great sign of progress and a pay off of all your hard word.

sounds like you and buddy are doing really, really well and the work is paying off.
meggit

Post by meggit »

oh i never thought of that jacksdad i bet he did but wasnt alarmed so thats really good news it means hes come further than i thought and i really need him to come on as im losing my hearing and allthough the hearing aids help i still miss lots of things and cant rely on hearing another dog comming up to us, but i know to take it slowly and take it at buddys pace, like todays walk i ddint spot the old bouncy lab untill it was right on us buddy was well upset and as he was off lead it was more complicated but i just body blocked the lab called bud in to behind me and kept the two of them seperated with me (lab wasnt nasty just bouncy) and when the other owners finally got the lab to respond clipped the lead on fast and me and buddy played and walked fast away from them once the lead was on and we were heading away with happy voice and treats he was fine and 10 mins later no dogs around he was off lead and playing ball again so i take this as a good sign as before he would have been on eggshells for the rest of our walk
meggit

Post by meggit »

oh and by the way i got this inspiration and strength to do all this from all the posts from you jacksdad and when i get stuck i just find your posts to remind myself its all possible if you use common sense, take things slow and trust what you dog is telling you
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

OI oi, I am still here just a bit less gobby!

It's good to hear from you and I am pleased to hear you are still making good progress with Buddy!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
meggit

Post by meggit »

glad to see you are still here emmabeth and you were never gobby lol