quirky things we love.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

quirky things we love.

Post by gwd »

each dog is different and most of them have little quirks. so share! what do your pups do that makes them unique.

my last setter would stick his tongue out when he slept......we called it 'tiny tongue' ......it was adorable.

as he got older........more and more tongue would stick out.....it wasn't so tiny any more!

boy dog roo roos when he greats you . it's kind of a howl......but it's rooo, rooo, rooo roo...........i have to get a vid of this!

baby girl sucks my fingers.............i'm talking full on, entire finger in her mouth....and actual nusing. this if figure is beause she had to be bottle feed and didn't have the advange of nursing her momma.
ClareMarsh

Re: quirky things we love.

Post by ClareMarsh »

When Ted wants something he sits, if I don't notice he gets up a little and sits down harder :lol: If that doesn't work he grumbles and sits down harder again then he'll shuffle his front paws and his sitting position. For all the world he is saying "Look I'm sitting blummin' give me what I want" :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Great idea for a thread gwd.

My old border collie girl had this habit of 'nibbling' any soft material she came across - real favorites would be pillows and duvets, where she would furiously rub her front teeth against the material, snorting away as she obviously couldn't breath as her nose was totally squashed in :shock: The only time I have seen Hattie do anything remotely similar is when she is having a nibble of her paws or fur - but never in the same furious way my collie used to!

Hattie's thing in sticking her head in anything..such as with a few inches of snow she runs with her head and nose in the snow, or she sticks her head down between the back of the sofa and the cushions and just stays there..the other day we were on a two and a half hour train journey from my Dads and Hattie spent the majority of the journey with head squashed down between my knees and her bum in the air..must be a fox terrier thing :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's 'destressing' position is standing in front of me, sticking his nose in my groin, inhaling deeply and letting out the biggest heartfelt sigh, preferably while I'm fondling his ears. OH has confessed to jealousy :oops:

Then there's coming to us to be burped after meals - I also asked about this on a lurcher forum after mentioning it on here, and several other lurcher owners said their dogs did this. Though most just come over, look them in the face, and belch loudly - and others come over and ask for a bum scratch, then fart :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

JudyN wrote:others come over and ask for a bum scratch, then fart
:lol: :lol:
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Orion is a pickpocket. He'll lift your gloves, wallet or whatever so softly you don't notice, and then just drop them on the ground and laugh at you.

When I ask Friday to sit for his meals, he does so quickly, and then does a little vocalization (a soft "wooo" sort of sound) as though saying "OK, I'm on my bum, now FEED ME."

Innoko also likes to hold up his part of the conversation. He's a Canadian Eskimo Dog, and easily the largest dog in the kennel. He's also the biggest love-muffin. It's beneath his dignity to use his dog house as anything other than a urinal even in temperatures of -40 degrees and colder. Instead, he digs all of the straw out of to make a nest, and curls up in a ball out in the open.

Several express their thanks for chow by belching in your face. Fish breath isn't always appreciated on my part, though.

Aumaruq is a digger - and so good at it that he puts a John Deere backhoe to shame.

Thowra is a pan thief. Somehow (I have no idea how, yet), he collects the feed and water pans from his neighboring kennel mates, puts them all together in a pile, and then sits back to admire his collection.

About once a week or so I give every dog in the kennel a hard boiled egg. Most bolt them right down, but Amazing Grace settles in with hers, daintily peels the shell with her teeth, then eats the white and yolk before gobbling down the shell.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

Lucy loves music, or rather she loves to hear people sing. She becomes ridiculously excited at hearing singing. Her tail wags in a huge happy circle and then she yips and attempts to howl. She also falls back into her mouthing habit and tries to nip your chin and mouth your hand. I will be watching tv on my couch and a commercial with the right vocals that she likes comes on and I hear her charging towards me, then she flings herself toward me yipping and tail wagging. If someone in my family sings she is the most excited and that is when she attempts to howl along. Her favorite song is people singing happy birthday to someone (on her birthday we all sang for her in our most obnoxious voices drawing out each word she was so happy), and her favorite song from tv was "Brand new Key". :lol:

Bella sniffs my hair weirdly if I have been gone for a long time, she shoves her nose against my head and breathes deeply for a long time. She also refuses to go to sleep at night until she is tucked in with a pillow under her head and will cry until I make this happen for her. She also cries for me to leave every school day. As soon as I start getting ready I have to listen to her cry in excitement that I am leaving. She gets a stuffed kong when I leave so she is always happy to see me go. When I am taking to long her cries become more of an annoyed grumble and she sighs a lot. I guess I'm glad she doesn't have separation anxiety....but does she have to be so happy about me leaving? :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote:Orion is a pickpocket. He'll lift your gloves, wallet or whatever so softly you don't notice, and then just drop them on the ground and laugh at you.
boy dog is also a thief. when he thinks that baby girl is getting undo attention he'll steal something that he knows he shouldn't have. often that involves rummaging through the drawers in the kitchen. he'll bring the box of zip lock baggies, the aluminum foil roll, tupperware, the dish towel............or OH's house shoes which he can stealth-fully remove from hubbies foot if he's snoozed out on the couch.
gwd

Post by gwd »

i'm enjoying these stories! :D
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Tony will greet with little wuffs or a growly noise in the morning or when we get home. :D

He also wants to play with anything large and oddly-shaped (like a plastic stool, hoola hoop or tire swing).
Wes

Post by Wes »

Rosie my late APBT used to make these awful-sounding growly snarly noises when she was happy. As she did so, she tucked her tail and bum and raced in a circle. We called it the "Pit Bull 500." :lol:

Sampson has decided he is too cool to play, so when caught rolling about or tossing his toys around, he'll drop whatever he's doing and lay down as if to say "Me? Nope. You must have seen some other 85lb dog acting like a puppy."

Remy likes to chew on feet. :roll:
gwd

Post by gwd »

i love the vocalizations. little growly noises, soft woof, yowls........

my setters were not very vocal except for barking.......which for two of them was waaaay excessive.

boy springer is a talker. oh my gawd he's got a noise for everything........baby girl makes a yowl that sounds like a cat but she seems to do all of her vocalizations exclusively for playing with boy dog........he on the other hand does most of his for our benefit.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Abby HAS to put something in her mouth when she gets excited. Every day when we get home from work she's got one of her stuffed bears in her mouth..and if she can't find one of them, she'll just pick something up off the floor (box, paper, pillow, anything) and carry it around while trying to "talk" to us. She does circles during this time too :)

We just got a KING SIZE BED(!!!!!!) and last night was the first time we slept in it..Abby got up during the night at least 3 times, plopped on me, got up, then plopped on her dad, got up, back and forth. Pretty sure she was confused as to why we were all so far apart.

Great thread!
gwd

Post by gwd »

abbyneo wrote:Abby HAS to put something in her mouth when she gets excited.
mine both do that too.......but i always figured it was because springers have such a strong retriever instinct. it's interesting that a boxer would do that. this makes me wonder if the urge to greet humans in that way is something we've promoted. ......we reward and promote toy play with attention. obviously when we get home they're seeking attention.....so grabbing something works!

i've only known two boxers other than just ones i've met walking. the two i knew VERY much used their front legs to 'box' when they were playing......does abby 'box'?
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

OK, so I don't love this, but it does (mostly) make me smile, although sometimes it is infuriating :lol:

If Ted wants to meet the person/dog/whatever behind us, or just wants to check them out rather than carry on walking and I am shuffling him along he will **** his leg in a half hearted manner up something. No pee, just a leg lift that hovers halfway up whilst he turns and cranes his head to see the object of his attention :roll: :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids