Dog Conformation

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lilly5425

Re: Dog Conformation

Post by lilly5425 »

Guess its subthreads that we use on the forums I use, but I could see that on big forum like yours, how that wouldn't really be the best way. When we click on a single post, the replies to that one get all put put together. But I see you have far more topics and discussions, and it wouldn't probably work with a large one like this.
Thank you for the explanation,
Lilly
james79

Post by james79 »

Speaking of the dog bum whirls did anyone see this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 36086.html
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I have looked at quite enough dogs' bums for today! This is why OH insisted we had to get a dog with a downy tail rather than an uppy one :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
james79

Post by james79 »

:lol: after I saw the picture of the Jesus bum I now find myself staring at Murphy's bum. His is more of a white angel :wink:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

lilly5425 wrote:Guess its subthreads that we use on the forums I use, but I could see that on big forum like yours, how that wouldn't really be the best way. When we click on a single post, the replies to that one get all put put together. But I see you have far more topics and discussions, and it wouldn't probably work with a large one like this.
Thank you for the explanation,
Lilly
Lilly, you aren't the only ne who has found it confusing, I posted about something that had me upset and was told that there is a thread for venting, so, we learn little by little. :roll:

There was something that I posted saying that I didn't know where it was supposed to go. :D

So, I have been on this forum since May and still having confusing moments.

Like right now, I have no wish to view a dog's bum, so I just pass it until I see something that interests me. Not how I quoted you for my reply. See, I even learned something from your question. :D

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
lilly5425

Post by lilly5425 »

Hi Dianne,
Dogs bums dont really interest me either, but the whorls are really funny, I photoshopped those 3 pictures of our dog that I posted.

The stuff about Jesus is really really stupid, but some people find it funny.
Its just a another way to get stuff on YouTube.

Anyway, the way this forum is set up, is not the way ours are. We dont have to search and scan thru stuff, we have a way that the replies go to the actual topic. But I dont run/design or do the forums, I just take part in them. Maybe these people here could change it a bit, but all in all, this one is nice, and its interesting, once you finally figure out where to look to find your posts.
Lilly
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

If you need to find an expert on dog butts, talk to a musher. Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes (sigh). I have a pair of siblings (Rose and Nels) that are so nearly identical that if standing side-by-side even I can't easily tell them apart when viewing from the front, but there is never any confusion at all when seeing them from behind.

There is a musical ballad written by a dog musher and quite popular in Canada's Yukon Territory about that very thing. Unfortunately my computer here at work is heavily filtered, and I can't find a link to it. Maybe when I get off duty I'll be able to find and post it.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
lilly5425

Post by lilly5425 »

Here is a quick page I made at Christmas time, with both our dogs running down the beach. I dont know how to insert captions into this code yet, but towards the last few pictures, you can see that our puppy has our Yellow Lab by her tail.
http://www.jcdouglass.net/gallery/gallery3.html
Their butts are totally different. But the interesting thing is that he is a Portuguese Water Dog, and their hair grows continuously and I cannot see any whirls on his body anywhere. Even when we groom him close. Tomorrow morning, I will be removing the tiny burrs from the beach grass that stick in his fur, but there are no whirls to work on. And our Yellow for some reason, never gets the burrs in her coat.
One reason for having an automatic transmission in our cars and trucks, as you can de-burr and de-tick with your right hand as you drive on our back roads. Dont try it in highway or heavy traffic though.
Im learning a lot by looking thru random posts here on this site, its fun.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

[IMG=http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2306/gcp7.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry I came in late on this thread, but early on GWD was posting pics of bench bred English Setters. I thought I would post a pic of my Dottie, a field bred English Setter-- just for contrast. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
gwd

Post by gwd »

so I was wrong...........I assumed that a gsd should not over drive on the rear .........per the standard i'm totally wrong about that.

the standard:

GATE

A German Shepherd Dog is a trotting dog, and its structure has been developed to meet the requirements of its work. General Impression-- The gait is outreaching, elastic, seemingly without effort, smooth and rhythmic, covering the maximum amount of ground with the minimum number of steps. At a walk it covers a great deal of ground, with long stride of both hind legs and forelegs. At a trot the dog covers still more ground with even longer stride, and moves powerfully but easily, with coordination and balance so that the gait appears to be the steady motion of a well-lubricated machine. The feet travel close to the ground on both forward reach and backward push. In order to achieve ideal movement of this kind, there must be good muscular development and ligamentation. The hindquarters deliver, through the back, a powerful forward thrust which slightly lifts the whole animal and drives the body forward. Reaching far under, and passing the imprint left by the front foot, the hind foot takes hold of the ground; then hock, stifle and upper thigh come into play and sweep back, the stroke of the hind leg finishing with the foot still close to the ground in a smooth follow-through. The overreach of the hindquarter usually necessitates one hind foot passing outside and the other hind foot passing inside the track of the forefeet, and such action is not faulty unless the locomotion is crabwise with the dogs body sideways out of the normal straight line.
Gait

this youtube is worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJPE9oNN7A&sns=em
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How amazing to justify the action of a cripple by putting it into the breed standard :roll:

I bet Swanny's huskies track up normally, and they do a damned sight more work than a show GSD.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

It is an absolute atrocity what the breeders have done to German Shepherds! Every time I see one of those poor, poor dogs with that sloped, horrid conformation, my heart hurts. It's not even an attractive look (and even if it was, it certainly would not make it right). What on earth makes them do this to those poor animals???

I read somewhere that it's the American bred GSD's that are over-sloped in the hind quarters, but that English bred dogs have a straighter conformation making them not only much more attractive, but more importantly, more physically sound. Is this true?
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Suzette wrote:I read somewhere that it's the American bred GSD's that are over-sloped in the hind quarters, but that English bred dogs have a straighter conformation making them not only much more attractive, but more importantly, more physically sound. Is this true?
Sadly, many, probably most, GSDs have sloping hind quarters in the UK too, though I don't know if they are as extreme in the UK. Jasper was playing with a 5-month-old GSD pup a while back and I thought the pup had hurt his hind leg as he seemed to be limping and the leg seemed to be buckling. No, I was told, it was normal, and the pup had to grow into his joints. No way should that action have been described as normal :x

A neighbour, however, has a GSD with a lovely straight back. I don't know if they are bred as separate strains (she's also very shaggy), or if there are any breed shows she would be considered eligible for.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, GSDs here are cripples also. Big heads supported on heavy shoulders, banana backs sloping horribly into weak quarters. Even those claiming to be 'straight' are only straighter than the ones that are extra curved. From the shoulders back they just get weaker and weaker.

When an inspecting vet a couple of years ago asked an exhibitor at Crufts to remove her 5 month old puppy because its quarters were so bad, the reply was 'all puppies are loose behind' . No they aren't, not no way. The level of denial is incomprehensible.

I know there are some pale GSDs that have a better physique, but the show world doesn't like the creams. Interesting point about the shaggy GSD, JudyN.

It's no accident that the police source their GSDs from outside UK. But I don't know where they do get them from.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
lilly5425

Post by lilly5425 »

Our local police get them from Germany I think.
Our dog doesnt have any of these odd traits thank goodness. She is normal in all respects.
I have many action pics and vids of her, but here is one of her standing like your dogs here stand.
My picture wouldnt upload, so here it is on my link,
http://www.jcdouglass.net/prettylilly/lilly28.jpg