Dog Thefts

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Dog Thefts

Post by minkee »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pe ... untry.html

The above link is to an article that talks about a trend I _think_ I've been seeing - in that more and more dog thefts are occurring. I don't know if it's just that I'm becoming more aware of it, and am circulating in places that make you more aware of it, or if it really is happening more frequently. Either way, I find it really scary. I can't think of a more awful feeling than knowing that your dog, that you love and cherish is 'out there' with god-knows-who doing who-knows-what.

I think it's also become more worrying to me since getting Breeze, since he stands out as being a pedigree, rare breed. No one has failed to ask 'what is he?' yet. Bar being with them every second of the day (and even then, it says some of those dogs were stolen right under owner's noses, on a walk!) what extra steps can be taken to prevent this? The only comfort I can take is that it seems to happen more 'down south' - but that's not much of a comfort, especially to those who live down there!
rachel540

Re: Dog Thefts

Post by rachel540 »

I agree all I seem to be hearing about are stolen dogs, I too am circulating on more dog focussed forums and FB groups but people that I know are mentioning it more and more too. Its make me feel sick to my stomach and is my worst nightmare. I have actually stopped playing hide and seek with Pepper and stopped running in the opposie direction just so I don't have to take my eyes off her for a second. I've actually noticed that Pepper isn't checking on me as often becuase she knows I'm right behind her but I daren't risk it. I've noticed it more "down south" but seen alot of posters in areas that we walk too :( What is wrong with the world :evil:
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
bendog

Post by bendog »

It is scary. Thankfully mine arent worth stealing - anyone took sasha or poppy they would bring them straight back!

But it does remind me of one occasion when I was a lot younger walking Ben. A guy in a white van pulled up and asked if he was a border. I really don't know what put me on guard but anyway I played dumb and said I wasn't 100% sure and didnt think he was pedigree or anything. The guy then said he had a border b*tch in the back of his van and did I want to see her. I said no thanks and cut back the way I had come rather than going home. As he drove off I saw he did have a border in the back and so maybe he was looking for a stud dog, or completely harmless I have no idea but it freaked me out and as a rule I have learnt to trust my instincts when it comes to stuff like that.

There were a few reported dog thefts in my area at the time but I think it's also sometimes hard to judge if the dog was actually stolen or just escaped. Most seemed to be "snatched from gardens" and I do sometimes wonder how that happens if you are actually watching your dog! Everyone thinks the countryside is a nice place but sometimes because its so isolated it makes it easier to do this stuff without being seen, there were several (like 3 or 4 - which is a lot for a small village) attempted child abductions too (thankfully half the village kids go to my taekwondo class :P)

And I once saw a car drive past in one direction, and then come back the other direction and ask me for directions, when he had been going the right way in the first place. Again, could have been innocent but it just felt dodgy, especially when he leant over and opened the passenger door. Thankfully he stalled the car and I scarpered.

Basically I think I am saying trust your instincts!! Most people will just be genuinely interested, but if it feels dodgy, forget about trying to be nice.

I do see your worry with Breeze and all I can suggest is that he is quite distinctive and that might go against anyone wanting to steal him. As his markings etc identify him too easily. Have lots of photos and videos of you with him and then hopefully if he ever was stolen you could put the alert out and he is distinctive enough to be too hot to handle and you have proof he is yours. is he microchipped? having "im microchipped" on his collar might act as a deterrent too.
Also not walking directly home so they don't know where he lives if you feel like someone is following you or asking odd questions, and trying to make walking times unpredictable and in different places so any potential thief wouldn't know where to find you/him.
bendog

Post by bendog »

I think the rise of preloved/gumtree etc for selling dogs helps thieves get rid of stolen dogs fast as well.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Yes definitely. I saw someone post an image yesterday of a man with a dog on his lap - it was their dog (as far as they could tell) and the photo had come from his post on an internet site trying to sell it. How heart breaking!
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Petition signed :D

Yes, it does seem to be getting more common, and it is a worry. If there are travellers in the area I keep Jasper well away as he's the sort of dog that could attract them. i did once meet a couple of men who seemed far too interested in him... of course, by the time I'd begun to wonder we'd got past the standard 'I bet he can run,' and 'Can he catch rabbits?' questions. So if in doubt now I'll be keen to emphasise that he's been done, and his dodgy temperament, and maybe even invent a dodgy leg or two.

But it doesn't matter what sort of dog you have... dogs are also stolen to be used as bait dogs to train fighting dogs, which makes me sick to the stomach even to contemplate.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Locally, there has been a huge increase in thefts over the past few weeks. Not a happy situation.

All we can do is be vigilant to the point of paranoia - including never leaving dogs outside shops or in the car, even locked, even for a moment, never telling people our dogs' names, never leaving dogs unattended in the garden, and only exercising where we can see all round.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

JudyN wrote:But it doesn't matter what sort of dog you have... dogs are also stolen to be used as bait dogs to train fighting dogs, which makes me sick to the stomach even to contemplate.
Omg! thats horrible!

We have alot of people asking questions about Pepper mostly encouraging us to breed her and pushing their stud dog for us to consider :roll: This makes me feel really uncomfortable, I usually walk off pretty sharpish protecting Peppers back-end :lol: I am quite overprotective as it is but this sort of thing really scares me
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yeah.. Remember to lock the car if you leave your dog inside while popping into a store..

With us - when we are walking with Ari in the park and see the other dog owners walking their dogs, we stop and chat sometimes and that's all good, same people, so we share stories of our dogs, and say how beautiful the other dogs are (even if they are not :lol: ) - the usual things among fellow dog walkers, so everyone knows other dogs...

But if a stranger on the street approaches with a "Cute dog, what's his name?", my usual response is "Sir, please don't get too close, he is not friendly with people", and Ari usually joins in with a mean look. All this, I am sure, comes across very rude, but to hell with that, I don't really care....
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Also... I had thought that Jasper would be safer because he's wary of strangers who approach him and would throw a rather noisy tantrum if they tried to lead him away by force. But all they'd need is a bone or juicy steak, and he may just follow them right into the back of a van :? Maybe he wouldn't, but I don't want it put to the test.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

JudyN wrote: Maybe he wouldn't, but I don't want it put to the test.
Exactly my worry - Pepper is very wary of going too far away from us but if tempted by food I'm not sure she'd put up much of a fight. Shes very friendly and would only realise something is wrong if I was shouting her after her.

I need to stop reading this thread :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Locking the vehicle is no protection. These scum can break into cars no problem, and they don't care about it being obvious either.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I have even read of dogs being taken from people's homes, let alone locked cars :( I rarely leave Ted as I've not much reason to but the thought of coming home to him being gone, well ...

Then on walks as well as keeping him in sight I have to make sure we are in visible areas, not that I think people would help but the more difficult you make it the less risk there is.

Oh and driving, I always drive with my doors locked and keep an eye on what's going on around me when we are stationery in built up areas.

Yep, totally paranoid :shock:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

JudyN wrote:Also... I had thought that Jasper would be safer because he's wary of strangers who approach him and would throw a rather noisy tantrum if they tried to lead him away by force. But all they'd need is a bone or juicy steak, and he may just follow them right into the back of a van :? Maybe he wouldn't, but I don't want it put to the test.
Same here...Tony is reactive with strangers and his breed makes him somewhat intimidating, but with the right body language and food, he'd probably hop right in. :roll:

I saw a video recently of thieves pulling two pits right out of their own yard. You see them open the gate, the dogs go over, and then they drag them out by their collars.

I found the video: Thieves drag dogs from home's back yard

I also found this informative but terrifying article: 5 ways thieves could steal your dog