First dog: Puppy or adult?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Elleyea

First dog: Puppy or adult?

Post by Elleyea »

I want to adopt my first dog, however I'm not sure if I should get a puppy or an adult dog. I have been dog sitting for over 10 different dogs for the past 4 years and I know what kind of breeds I would be okay with, I'm just not sure If I should get a puppy and have the first few important development months to train the puppy properly, or work with an adult dog who is already house trained and wont chew on everything.
I live by myself and I am away from the house 9 hours a day, but I will have a week of vacation this december for a week in which I will be spending all my time with my new pet.
Any advice?
Nettle

Re: First dog: Puppy or adult?

Post by Nettle »

You are wonderful for giving this such careful thought. :)

As you are away 9 hours a day, that's your decision made. Only an older adult dog will stand that arrangement, and even then you would have to get someone to walk it halfway through the day. And this would mean you getting up early enough to take the dog for a decent walk before you leave, and doing the same as soon as you get home. It's a tough schedule; I know, I've done it. You need an extra four hours in the day for any dog, and that has to come out of your sleeping or leisure time.

If this isn't possible for you, then it isn't the time to get a dog just now. You would in any case have to choose your adult dog very carefully, making sure it had no hidden issues that you would have to work on eg separation anxiety or noisiness. People are seldom honest when passing a dog on, but you can get lucky and get a dog with no problems. Even so, a week is nowhere near enough to settle any dog into a new home, new owner, new routine.

Maybe wait a bit until your lifestyle changes. Set yourself up for success.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Elleyea

Post by Elleyea »

Thank you for your advice! Do you have any idea how many weeks I would have to take off in a row to comfortably situate a puppy? How about an adult dog?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Nettle wrote:You are wonderful for giving this such careful thought. :)

As you are away 9 hours a day, that's your decision made. Only an older adult dog will stand that arrangement, and even then you would have to get someone to walk it halfway through the day. And this would mean you getting up early enough to take the dog for a decent walk before you leave, and doing the same as soon as you get home. It's a tough schedule; I know, I've done it. You need an extra four hours in the day for any dog, and that has to come out of your sleeping or leisure time.

If this isn't possible for you, then it isn't the time to get a dog just now. You would in any case have to choose your adult dog very carefully, making sure it had no hidden issues that you would have to work on eg separation anxiety or noisiness. People are seldom honest when passing a dog on, but you can get lucky and get a dog with no problems. Even so, a week is nowhere near enough to settle any dog into a new home, new owner, new routine.

Maybe wait a bit until your lifestyle changes. Set yourself up for success.
I couldn't say any better, Emmabeth! Well said! 8)
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oi that was Nettle... not me! Though if you want to mistake me for her, feel free - she might not be so chuffed though :lol:

A week wouldn't be enough time to settle a puppy in really and in any case unless you know of a breeder or rescue pups NOW, you don't have time to research and find the RIGHT pup now.

Do not rush this - its tempting to rush into it, but really - don't.

Do you realise, on average a dog lives longer than a marriage lasts??

And you would NOT rush into marrying someone!

I really wouldn't recommend anyone get a puppy if they are not home for a large portion of each day (ie, most of it) and can be home ALL day for the first month or ideally, two months - for most people except those who work from home, or couples who work different shifts, this really isn't achievable.

So you have to decide, what compromise can you cope with - although the pup shouldn't have to compromise at all really...

If you are gone much in the first two months, your pup is missing opportunities to learn really vital things. Things which, if NOT learned at this age, they will ALWAYS be playing catch up and be a 'harder work' dog than otherwise.

Are you happy and able to pay for sitters to come in for several hours at a time, a couple of times a day, and can you find one who will teach your pup the things you want him or her to learn (or will they just sit on your couch, watch tv and empty your fridge)?

WHat about all the things your pup may learn when you are gone and he or she is alone - such as 'its ok to potty in the house' and 'chewing the furniture is fun' and 'I can howl for four hours straight without taking a breath'...

As Nettle says, your only realistic option here is an adult dog, and one used to being left alone which narrows things down much further. I would recommend you take a minimum of two weeks off to settle in a new dog, and I would advise you to go for a retired Greyhound as these dogs are used to spending large chunks of time alone. This is NO guarantee that the dog won't howl, dig, cry, chew, or poop in the house, but ex racing Greyhounds are NOT being rehomed because they have separation anxiety - a LOT of adult rescue dogs ARE.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Elleyea wrote:Thank you for your advice! Do you have any idea how many weeks I would have to take off in a row to comfortably situate a puppy? How about an adult dog?
the choice is made based on how much time you have to give to your dog. given your schedule, puppy is out of the question. So it is really about the adult dog.

some thing to keep in mind

Depending on the dog, it can take anywhere from 1 month to 18 months for a rescue/shelter dog to settle in depending on a whole lot of things. Like how long was it in the shelter/rescue. How many homes was the dog "bounced" around before coming to you. the dogs own personality and genetic roll of the dice also play into this.

Also, simply being an adult dog is NO indication/prediction/guarantee that it is already house trained.

others may or may not agree, BUT I would say a minimum of two weeks for having some feel for house training. which isn't the same as being able to say "dog is house trained". That isn't enough to KNOW if there are other issues. It took about 2 months from day I brought home my dog until issues like his fear of dogs, fear of strangers, mild separation issues started to show up. At the time both my kids were still a home, so he was checked on about every 4 hours. To day, the kids are gone, so I have a dog walker that comes in mid day to give him a bathroom break.

I think you may need to give some serious thought to this may not be the right time in your life to get a dog. Pet sitting gives a taste, but you are only pet sitting for brief periods of time and you were getting paid. With your own dog, you have that dog until the day it dies. there is no "its only for two weeks" or "only for the weekend" and there is no pay check to keep your going when things get tough. IF you are NOT used to the work load, getting up in the morning, making time in the evening etc. simply to excessive your dog, day in, day out...it can be overwhelming. it takes LOT of energy and some time to get used to the new schedule/workload that is simple taking care of your dog.

There is NO rush. Think about this carefully. you can always get a dog "tomorrow" when your life allows for more time. But if you do decide to go for it, you won't be the first to have a dog and work. BUT think this through as much as you can. Give your self no less than 2 weeks to assess and work on the house training. And arrange for someone to coming and give your dog a break mid day. 9 hours is WAY to long to ask a dog to "hold it".
minkee

Post by minkee »

emmabeth wrote:Do you realise, on average a dog lives longer than a marriage lasts??
:shock: That's a useful fact!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I got my first pup 18 months ago. I needed months of time devoted to him not weeks. A pup is like a baby, you get next to nothing done unless they happen to be sleeping and it stays that way for a few months but even after that you need a lot of time.

If you go ahead with an adult I'd look for a dog that is being fostered rather than pulling one from kennels/ a shelter as the foster should know lots about the dog and a good rescue will match your needs to the dogs.

I'm with the others though, you need several extra hours a day even with an adult dog, I'd only do this if you have the time to spare :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids