How long does it take for a dog to stop pining after someone

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BCMumto3

How long does it take for a dog to stop pining after someone

Post by BCMumto3 »

Ever since Steve moved out (just over a week ago) Toffee has gone very clingy , wont let me out of his sight and even though he is eating , he seems very listless about it , its hard to explain , he does eat but without the enthusiasm he used to have for his dinner , its almost like all the joy has left his world and he is simply going through the motions :(

Now I know this is all because he is missing Steve , his god , and Steve does visit when he can cos he is missing the dogs loads , but because of the distance this might be only once a week

So how long do you reckon it will be before I get my normal happy go lucky lad back ?

I feel so sorry for my boy , this is obviously hurting him a lot :cry:
Nettle

Re: How long does it take for a dog to stop pining after someone

Post by Nettle »

It takes as long as it takes (with us too - Army wives etc). You might be able to lighten the load with extra exercise/mind games, and maybe an Adaptil diffuser would help.

Could your son stink up a towel or T shirt to leave in Toffee's bed as a comforter?

Also I would recommend you research Bach Flower Remedies - they are really good with emotional things.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

It will get better for Toffee and his joy will come back. I know it's hard for you to see him this way. You love him, so when he hurts, you hurt. But it will get better.

When I lost my sheltie many years ago, it was doubly hard because I had to watch my golden retriever suffer the loss too. For three months she mourned the loss of her beloved friend, but each day did get a bit better for her and (in her case) by the end of the third month, she was completely back to her old joyful self. That's just how long it took her. As Nettle says, it will be different for each dog.

Having something of Steve's around for him to snuggle up with, carry around, whatever would be comforting, I'm sure. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

Steve is my ex-bf hun , not my Son
He recently moved out and is renting me this house cos the dole wouldnt give me any money while he was here as they didnt believe me when I said we had split-up two years ago but remained friends and still shared the house

Thats a good idea about having something with Steves scent on for Toff to snuggle up with , Thanks guys :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sorry I got the relationships wrong!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yeah I've been 'there' with the benefits lot (in my case I had never been anything more than FRIENDS with the guy!).. male + female living in a house = must be 'living together as if married'.... grr.

Anyway - do him a laundry service, but er, one that takes a while so the stinky stuff hangs around a bit before being washed and exchanged for more stinky stuff!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Don't know about pining, but an old girlfriend's dog remembered me after 3 years. It was quite touching really. She didn't recognise me, but when I tapped her on the head with a newspaper, she remembered me and went bananas.
As for pining, I would guess it depends on other distractions. If bored and short of stimulation, its only natural to dwell on things.