Scout's little brother!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClareMarsh

Re: Scout's little brother!

Post by ClareMarsh »

gwd wrote: as soon as he starts lifting his leg
OMG I remember the first time Ted cocked his leg, I half found it hilarious, half was proud :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
minkee

Post by minkee »

gwd wrote: my one bit of training advice that i'd give you for a boy dog is that as soon as he starts lifting his leg, impress upon him that he may only do that on natural surfaces. trees, bushes, clumps of grass.......all fair game. fire hydrants, corners of buildings, trash cans.......are not things to be watered down.
I've been meaning to ask you about this :D How exactly does one go about doing this? I can see praising his little behind off when he goes somewhere 'right' - but how to discourage the rest?

Our yard at the moment (we've just moved in) is concrete and brick, with a couple of long abandoned plants in pots, and a planter I made up as Scout's toilet, that at the moment only has woodchip with a layer of gravel on top (she was used to going on stones at the old house). I can make up some sort of grassy planter probably... would a small piece of turf survive long? As a toilet? In this weather?! My fingers are less than green.

I'm getting too caught up in puppy-preparation! I have lots of work to finish off before he gets here so I have a clear schedule. The best thing this time around is that Dan has saved up a bunch of holiday and finishes work on the day we pick him up. Two pairs of hands & eyes will make it so much easier, fingers crossed!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Timber = leg bones. Lovely big strong legs. Puppies always fine down as they get bigger, so they are best to start with good solid legs. Mine look like rats on four tree trunks/snowshoe feet at that age :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

minkee wrote:I've been meaning to ask you about this :D How exactly does one go about doing this? I can see praising his little behind off when he goes somewhere 'right' - but how to discourage the rest?
it's not as easy of a cue, but i use, 'not there' and your correct in that i'd make a big fuss over him lifting on a tree and telling him he was such a good boy in the early stages a tasty treat was part of it. when he'd sniff a unsuitable surface i'd say 'not there' and keep walking. you can tell when they are thinking of lifting their leg on something. .....i allow the sniff. heck, it wouldn't be fair for me to not let him check out the peemail left by other dogs......i just interrupt it right before he was ready to add his to the mix. i'd then quickly find a suitable spot and say, 'go pippy'.......it really didn't take long for him to figure it out and now i rarely have to tell him 'not there' .......nor do i direct him to pee on command at this point. he's figured out what kinds of places are acceptable. it was just in the begining where we had to do a lot of 'here, but not there' work. the only time i tell him to go pippy now is on his last trip out at night. both dogs know when OH says, 'well, i think i'm going to go to bed' the RUN to find me, i grab a few treats and we head out the back door. they RUSH out to pee and then collect their treat.
minkee wrote:
Our yard at the moment (we've just moved in) is concrete and brick, with a couple of long abandoned plants in pots, and a planter I made up as Scout's toilet, that at the moment only has woodchip with a layer of gravel on top (she was used to going on stones at the old house). I can make up some sort of grassy planter probably... would a small piece of turf survive long? As a toilet? In this weather?! My fingers are less than green.
how about a 3 foot high railroad tie set in some concrete? or find someone that's removing a tree and collect a 2 foot section of stump that can sit upright? wood chips are great too at the base but boy dogs generally like something to aim at rather than just flat ground.
minkee

Post by minkee »

I had never even considered that something might have to be vertical :lol: I will see what I can do. How old usually before they start lifting their leg?

edit: I have a doggy friend whose son is a tree surgeon. He might be able to find me a nice stump
gwd

Post by gwd »

minkee wrote:I had never even considered that something might have to be vertical :lol: I will see what I can do. How old usually before they start lifting their leg?
it varies greatly. .......some as early as 5 months.......some as late as a year. .......
minkee wrote: edit: I have a doggy friend whose son is a tree surgeon. He might be able to find me a nice stump
perfect!!!! a pee stump!
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

Wow, I never realized how gorgeous Ibizans were! Love the look. If I could handle a hound, I'd want one in a heartbeat.

ClareMarsh wrote:
OMG I remember the first time Ted cocked his leg, I half found it hilarious, half was proud :lol:
Same here when Tony did. :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

OnceInAWeil wrote:
ClareMarsh wrote:
Same here when Tony did. :lol:
i had to announce boy dog's achievement when i returned from a walk one night! ......'let's go tell daddy that you were a BIG boy!!!'
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Dill was nearly a year old and the first few times he tried he got confused as to why he was waving a leg in the air, then couldnt decide which leg would be best (still not entirely sure why he was doing it)a nd then once hilariously tried to go for two legs at the same time and fell over... silly dog!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Post by Erica »

Opal started lifting a leg a little while after we got Marble...She lifts a leg, bounces on the other leg, then ends up squatting anyway. :lol: Ami rarely bothers lifting a leg, even though he's 4 now...Onyx still hikes a leg up as high as it will go (which I think is probably a good sign that he isn't in too much pain from arthritis etc...his leg is often on the same level as his body!).
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper lifts his leg about 4" above the ground, and his hips stay level so he still wees on the ground. He reminds me of a rather fine elderly lady lifting her little finger when she drinks her cup of tea :lol:

In the garden, though, he doesn't bother at all. No one to impress, I guess.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

Remember - you don't want a puppy, you don't want a puppy!

Here's a couple of puppy update pics :D

And as Breeze is asleep in both of those, have a look at his pretty little sister Orla
Erica

Post by Erica »

He's so big! (for a puppy, obviously :lol: ) Do you know when you're bringing him home?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

Next Saturday. It'll be a long ol' trip but can't wait :D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

What a gorgeous dog, Minkee! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown