Pay it forward

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ClareMarsh

Pay it forward

Post by ClareMarsh »

You might have seen in another thread I offered Rachel Ted's Zoom Groom because it's a million* times too big for Ted (no idea what I was thinking). As we were sorting out postage it seemed that Rachel sending me a few pounds to cover postage seemed a bit pointless so instead we came up with the idea of doing a little forum "Pay it forward". So Rachel gets her Zoom Groom for free, all she has to do is dig something out to send to someone else on here :D

Rachel's seeing what she's got that she can send on and then will update you all :D

Clare and Ted, Rachel and Pepper

*possible exaggeration
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Re: Pay it forward

Post by JudyN »

Excellent idea :D I don't do 'spiritual', but I almost believe in karma... :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Great plan. Could people also post stuff they need on here and then if anyone has a spare one they want to donate they can?
We probably have loads of stuff we don't need :oops:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Great idea! It might be good to post what country you're in though. I have personally never sent things from the US to the UK, but on my quilting forum, they often mention that is very costly to mail things back and forth. For some, this might not be an issue. For others, it would be too cost prohibitive. So a quick mention of your home country would probably be a good idea to help folks out. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

One danger we'd have to be prepared for is people requesting stuff and never 'paying it forward'. We get a lot of spammers visiting this board, and 'one post wonders' - it would be a shame to send on something that is reasonably costly and the recipient simply disappearing, maybe even selling the item. On the other hand it would look rather rude to refuse to send to someone because we suspected their motives.

Maybe to overcome this it could be limited to members with over a certain number of posts (though restrictions may not be needed when offering stuff).

If this problem could be overcome in some way, we could also have a list of items we are able to lend... On second thoughts, maybe someone who needs something could ask if anyone has one they could lend, then someone who has one has the option of PMing them to offer it or to keep quiet if they're unsure they will get it back in one piece.

I'm thinking of things like different styles of Elizabethan collars, puppy stuff that you don't need now but maybe will some day in the future, and books - many of the books recommended are quite expensive.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

One cool thing I really like is how some people donate leashes or collars and other items their dogs either outgrew or just don't need anymore to legit rescues and shelters. I had spare items donated to me after she chewed her harnesses and leashes. It's the same with children, once babies outgrow something; it's nice to give it to someone who is having a baby. As long as items are in good condition and still do their job nicely, it's a great idea. Also, both parties should be honest, respectful and grateful. Afterall, someone is taking the time to help you out.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Wanted, courage for 1 almost 5 year old JRT/Chi mix.
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hello! Sorry not posted earlier busy day at work. I will raid the house tonight to find anything we haven’t used/need for Pepper, I will also raid the bookshelf. I don’t have a huge amount of things as I am a new doggy parent and haven't accumulated that much stuff yet but I’m all up for sharing the love and if at least just one thing will be useful to someone then job done! I’ll be back.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It's a good idea, just bear in mind that JUST because someone posts here, doesn't automatically mean they are trustworthy, so do it at your own risk and I would suggest keeping it to low value items.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Hadn't thought of "scammers" :shock: Well I guess it's up to the person paying it forward to make a judgement. The regulars are pretty reasonable people so I'd hope between us we can make this a nice thing :D

But certainly not sending expensive things would be a good plan :D

Sending UK to US and vice versa will be expensive for heavy stuff but if you send light stuff snail mail then shouldn't be to bad. Again, up to the person sending :D

Anyone who starts demand/moaning well they ain't gonna get anything except tumbleweed :wink:

For Jack the best thing I've "got" for him is Jacksdad :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
gwd

Post by gwd »

jacksdad wrote:Wanted, courage for 1 almost 5 year old JRT/Chi mix.
i have 3 year old male springer with plenty to spare........if i could only figure out a way to bottle and box it, i'd have in tomorrows mail!

i don't really need anything, but you've all inspired me to go take a look though my dog stuff and see what items have been moth-balled.
gwd

Post by gwd »

ok, i have two furminators that i really don't need. they are the green handled ones which according to the website is for small dogs, the width is about the same size as a normal oster clipper blade. one is for short hair, one for long.

as i said, they're the green handle ones:

http://www.furminator.com/shedding-solutions/dogs

i don't have the original packaging but they've only been used a couple of times. i didn't like them for my dogs, i'm old school and i prefer my stripping knives. :)

anyhoo, i'll send them out to whoever would like them........since there are two perhaps two different people might be interested, or of course, i'm happy to send them both to anyone that needs them.
vicki

Post by vicki »

I have a book I could send on: 'The toolbox for remodelling your problem dog' by Terry Ryan. I am willing to send to anyone within the UK but if you want it can you please PM me. I have young children and only tend to look in every couple of weeks or so and might miss a forum post.
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi guys! Sorry not been on the forum, been quite ill the last couple of weeks. Only thing i have to give at the moment is a book: Dominance in Dogs: Fact or Fiction? (Barry Eaton). Happy to send to anyone who's interested. When im back on top form will have a look for more things.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364