Amazing Dog Stories of the Past & Present

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Amazing Dog Stories of the Past & Present

Post by wvvdiup1 »

In this thread, you can tell stories of amazing dogs, whether or not they are your own dogs. Let me start with a story:

Years ago, there was this little boy who wondered off into the woods by himself. His mother didn't know he had taken off, because of her testimony, she had checked on him a few minutes before and he was still playing with his cars in the sandbox. When she went to check on him again, he was no where to be seen, so she called the neighbors, which none of them have seen him.

To make a long story short, the woman called the police and her husband to tell them her son had wondered off and she cannot find him. The police and some volunteers in which one of them was my father, who took his and my mother's first dog they had together by the name of Lady, with him on this search.

The group my father was in started from where the boy was last seen, in the back yard in the sandbox. Lady, my parents' first dog, began sniffing from that and the men followed her, however, branched out in a fan, or "driving" position, as though they were hunting deer or big game.

About an hour later, they found the boy, curled up and asleep by this large boulder. Thankfully, he was alright! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Flyby

Re: Amazing Dog Stories of the Past & Present

Post by Flyby »

Not really amazing, but...

When I was little, I'm guessing 7 or 8, I couldn't find my dog, a little Border Terrier called Shandy. These were country dogs, never got actual walks, and consequently both Shandy and my sisters dog used to stray. It wasn't unusual for both dogs to be missing, but it was weird that my sisters dog was home, but Shandy wasn't. Being 'my' dog, I had to do the familiar routine checking all the places where the dogs had been found before.
Then it started getting weird. I could hear Shandy barking, but I couldn't really fix a direction. It was very faint. I walked around the farmyard a bit, and managed to pin it down to outside the steading, and out into a field. I could see for the best part of a quarter mile, but no dog. I wandered about for the best part of an hour, but still couldn't pin down where the bark was coming from, but still no dog.
Eventually I gave up and went home. My Dad was home by then, and I told him Shandy had disappeared but I could hear her. He'd just finished his tea, and while I had to sit down and eat mine, he went off to look.
He came back about 10 minutes later with Shandy. There was a field drain and an old manhole in the field, and Shandy must have gone in after a frog or a mouse or something, and couldn't get back out. I had no idea there were any manholes or drains in the field. I suppose you don't even think about those things when you're 7.
But well done Dad! 'cause I couldn't *&**!! well find her!

To this day, I've never forgotten the frustration and confusion of standing in the middle of a wide open field, clear in every direction, with my ears telling me the dog was right there, but my eyes telling me she wasn't.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Flyby wrote:To this day, I've never forgotten the frustration and confusion of standing in the middle of a wide open field, clear in every direction, with my ears telling me the dog was right there, but my eyes telling me she wasn't.
ha!!!! heck, i've even lost dogs in the house! i've had a couple get shut in a closet or the laundry room........but never down a manhole! good on yer dad for thinking of that.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

When I was young my cousin had a JRT, Jasper, he was not a fan of delivery men and the like. A different cousin had a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Wendy.

Wendy was a lovely lovely, obedient, unspayed (must not have done it back then) brindle b tch.

One day Jasper and Wendy were hanging out together (which they often did) and the milkman turned up. Jasper pinned him in the corner, barking his head off and (based on previous behaviour) building up to bite. Not on Wendy's watch, she got in between them, picked Jasper up by the scruff of his neck and chucked him across the garden at which point the milkman made his escape.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

Flyby - we had a similar experience with our childhood Cairn. He was on reduced exercise due to a knee operation and confined to a crate a lot to recover so obviously bored. Someone had let him out in the garden unsupervised and he'd decided to take himself off for a walk. I got home from school and devastated to find the dog gone. Looked everywhere and no sign and it got dark so we gave up for the night. Later my Dad was lying in bed and heard the dog barking. Got up and followed it up and down the street and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Eventually he pin pointed it and found the dog trapped in a neighbours garden. No answer when he knocked and someone saw him and said these neighbours were on holiday. After climbing over the fence (6 ft high) to check the dog was ok, my Dad couldn't figure out how the dog had got in, and so decided he would have to carry him out over the fence, but he needed both hands to get over the fence, so my poor Dad came home (it was about midnight by this time), got a rope, and a bucket, scaled the neighbours six foot fence, put the dog in the bucket and hauled him back over!