Problems unraveling

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Re: Problems unraveling

Post by jacksdad »

wilkie if it helps, that trainer would also call me a marshmellow. But you know what....seems to work if that is what I am. Not only does my dog NOT run all over me, he is overcoming fears, and developing into a nice well behaved dog.

you sound a bit overwhelmed right now. do your best to take two breaths and relax. your plan to not try and fix everything all at once is perfect. pick the top three or so things that seem to be the most pressing and start there. you might find as your work with your dog that other "issues" start disappearing.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I would pick something really really easy to do, so given she doesn't seem to pay you much attention I'd work on that first. Either with a clicker or with a word "yes" sit in a room with her (remove anything she might find distracting) pick up some treats and wait. When she looks at you say "yes" or click and treat. If she moves towards you do the same. Basically reward anything that is focus towards you, don't lure it as she is probably still very unsure, just wait for her to decide. Do about 5 mins of this and the leave it for a bit, do the same again later.

This is the sort of thing I would be dong with her, you can then move to other rooms, outside etc etc.

Whatever you pick to train I would make it very easy for her to get it right so she learns interacting with you is fun and rewarding :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yes sorry, I was thinking you have had her a while. Putting things in baskets is probably WAY too advanced whilst she's so new to you. Work on positive interactions with you/objects, getting used to clicker training etc. touch is nice and easy to teach to start with. Any training etc will wear her out, lots of stuff to chew would be good too as stress relief.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

I have never had a dog spayed or nuetered before so this is very unfamiliar territory for me. The best part of the day is when she finally falls asleep.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

bendog wrote:Yes sorry, I was thinking you have had her a while. Putting things in baskets is probably WAY too advanced whilst she's so new to you. Work on positive interactions with you/objects, getting used to clicker training etc. touch is nice and easy to teach to start with. Any training etc will wear her out, lots of stuff to chew would be good too as stress relief.
What are good things for her to chew because her gumbs bleed when she chews hard objects. She doesn't like the Kong even though I fill it with food. She eats anything and everything so I don't want her to choke.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Himalayan dog chews (basically really hard cheese, if you're wondering what they are :P), bully sticks, antlers, and raw meaty bones are all good chews. Bully sticks disappear quickly if you've got a strong chewer. The Himalayan chews last a bit longer, but our GSD can get through the large ones in a day or so. Antlers last longer (Opal could probably get through a 6-inch one in a couple days if she really felt like it, but the antlers we have had lasted months so far), no personal experience with raw meaty bones (though that's just because the rest of the family is a bit freaked out by the idea :roll: ) but those are great too. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think I would be taking her out for leash walks and keeping a close eye on her to see when SHE has had enough.

Vets give the best advice for 'standard' cases, but if shes leaping around, humping, nipping etc, shes probably going to be putting herself at MORE risk than if you just talk her out on the lead for a long but steady walk.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Sophie constantly makes herself vomits. I can't even count how many times she has vomited. She keeps eating grass, flowers and other plants. A bit ago she dug up dirt and ate a good amount of it before I could stop her. She just vomited twice :| Maybe I need to be on 'It's Me or the Dog' because Victoria would have her hands full. Sophie won't stop barking and it sounds like a Collie mixed with a Retriever, it's loud and she does it right before nipping, biting and humping my leg. I'm sorry, but being nice and calm has gone out the window right now. But constantly yelling isn't working either. She chews on her crate so I don't want her hurting herself while in it. She looks so sweet and innocent, but she isn't even close.

Victoria, if this somehow reaches you by some magical turn of events. Please take my dog and do an intervention! :evil: :cry: :|
Last edited by Wilkie on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

emmabeth wrote:I think I would be taking her out for leash walks and keeping a close eye on her to see when SHE has had enough.

Vets give the best advice for 'standard' cases, but if shes leaping around, humping, nipping etc, shes probably going to be putting herself at MORE risk than if you just talk her out on the lead for a long but steady walk.
She doesn't do so well walking calmly, she tends to pull if something catches her attention, but I guess I could try taking her for a long walk to tire her out. She did have a long leash, but chewed that up within 2 days of having it! She's working on her second leash. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the long leads if she'll just chew it up even though it would be great to have one.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Someone please reassure me that my psychotic dog won't get sick. I didn't get to see what she was just eating because she ran away as soon as I went to stop her, but the "local wildlife" leaves presents and there was rabbit poop right where Sophie was eating :shock: . I know dogs like to eat other animal's waste, but come on! Luckily she was dewormed just in case she had any before I brought her home.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It's highly unlikely - dogs have a short, fast digestive system designed to quickly process potentially horrible stuff. We on the other hand have a much longer slower system so we are far more likely to get sick, and of course true herbivores process things for even longer and when they eat something bad for them its really serious and often fatal.

So don't worry!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

emmabeth wrote:It's highly unlikely - dogs have a short, fast digestive system designed to quickly process potentially horrible stuff. We on the other hand have a much longer slower system so we are far more likely to get sick, and of course true herbivores process things for even longer and when they eat something bad for them its really serious and often fatal.

So don't worry!
I just learned something new :mrgreen: I never really paid too much attention to stuff like this until now.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

I took her on a walk like I was recommended and it didn't go so well. It was every dog parent's worst nightmare. Because it was Sophie's first walk around here, she was sniffing and pulling me all over the place. That was to be expected, but what I didn't expect was a big dog running loose in our direction. Sophie is highly reactive towards dogs and I was very concerned for our safety as I have never seen that dog before :shock: . I went around the corner and as far away as possible, but Sophie got scared and pulled me into someone else's yard (their backyard was on the side of their house and not out back) and I had to calm her down and bring her back onto the sidewalk like I wanted to do in the first place. I finally called my brother to tell him what had happened and he told me I should've had more control of my dog because I could've been fined for tresspassing :evil: Mind you, tresspassing wasn't my first concern. I didn't feel like getting mauled or something bad happening to my dog.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Erica wrote:Himalayan dog chews (basically really hard cheese, if you're wondering what they are :P), bully sticks, antlers, and raw meaty bones are all good chews. Bully sticks disappear quickly if you've got a strong chewer. The Himalayan chews last a bit longer, but our GSD can get through the large ones in a day or so. Antlers last longer (Opal could probably get through a 6-inch one in a couple days if she really felt like it, but the antlers we have had lasted months so far), no personal experience with raw meaty bones (though that's just because the rest of the family is a bit freaked out by the idea :roll: ) but those are great too. :)
I will have to keep my eye out for something along those lines. Sophie might be a medium sized dog, but she chews up a storm. She broke a tennis ball the first day she got home.
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi! Sorry if this is repeating what others have said but just reading through your post I had a couple of experiences to share that might help make you feel better.

Pepper is a Labrador now 14months and still chews like no tomorrow. Any new toys are often destroyed within days, if we can bend it or change its shape in any way it’s too soft – this is our general rule of thumb. Although she has been known to chew metal and has disfigured our oven handles!!

It sounds like your dealing with the hectic first few weeks of being a new mummy and shock is starting to set in :) Everything that you are going through will change so quickly, this isn’t how she will behave for the rest of her life, the best way to deal with it is keep calm and accept it is normal puppy behaviour.

The biting – if she is biting hands and feet in a playful manner, redirect her to other toys. To make her toys and chews more exciting than you I found rotating them helped, so have toys out for a couple of days but keep a stock of new ones or her favourites ones that you can use to distract her into a new game. (for example Pepper loves anything that squeaks and tennis balls so if I suddenly have one that she hasn’t played with before I have her undivided attention). I drew the line at biting towards my face, this resulted in me standing up and leaving the room the instant it happened. Wait 10 seconds then return and start a different game. You don’t have to shout, say no, etc they soon learn that biting like that ends the game.

You mentioned she is barking at you, then biting and humping, etc. In what sort of situations is that happening?

It is a shame that you’re first week together you are having to limit exercise as I’m sure the whole stressful experience of a new home and the frustrated feeling of built up energy is not helping things.

On walks let her sniff, don’t drag her away just keep it at her speed (this may not be a stroll but a brisk walk) and read the thread on loose leash walking in Training articles and maybe you can start practising a few things. I 100% think you did the right thing when that dog approached you. Your dog needs to trust that you will take care of scary situations and trespassing on someone property for a couple of minutes isn’t going to hurt anyone. Don’t doubt your gut instincts.

While your dog is on low exercise there are loads of games to play indoors. Play hide and seek with toys and treats, hide them a different levels all around the house and keep her encouraged so its fun and rewarding. Get cereal boxes filled with newspaper and treats, use cardboard tubes, anything she can destroy.

Keep us up to date and let us know how you get on. If anything use this forum to vent your frustration – we all know how you are feeling, I promise you!
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364