Dog Training Logos

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Dog Training Logos

Post by ladybug1802 »

If you guys were/are looking for dog training classes or one to one training sessions, what sort of logo would most appeal to you, as a dog owner? This is a very open ended question as dont have any specific points I am looking for, but am meeting with a graphic designer friend this evening to have the first discussions about designing my logo, and although I know what colours etc I DONT want to use, I dont really know much more than that yet!
JudyN

Re: Dog Training Logos

Post by JudyN »

Have you decided on a definite name yet? You might just want your name and a strapline in a distinctive font, for example: http://www.tricks4treats.co.uk/index.php
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yep...name been decided...finally! I was thinking possibly along those kind of lines...I do want some kind of image/graphic but want it to be simple and not too 'cartoony' if that makes sense. Am thinking maybe outline rather than image or something...and want clean lines and not busy I think. Does that sound what would appeal to most people?

I think the main thing is I want it to look professional, yet friendly!
Erica

Post by Erica »

The logos that catch my attention most are silhouettes. :) I think the simple image idea is a good one - and maybe a font that works both with the image and on its own?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yep, funnily enough I was also thinking that you need to avoid the temptation to have something cute and cartoony... so not like Dorset Dogs :wink: http://www.dorsetdogs.org.uk/ And you really don't want people to think that positive training is fluffy and airheaded based on your logo!

Limiting the number of colours may make it cheaper to reproduce on stationery, etc. It could also help to have it scaleable - i.e. look OK on small business cards as well as on a great big banner over your new purpose-built training centre or on your tour bus in a few years' time :wink: :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

AH yes Erica have seen a few sikhouette type ones and I like them! I also like 'modern' type outlines of a dog - those kind of graphics.

Haha aw Judy Dorset Dogs' logo is very cute...like it...but no prob not what I will go for! I think the 'fewer colours' theme is a good one...I want to be able to have it on any colour background really...not that I will do but may have it on clothing at somne stage, or on my car (again - thinking ahead!)

Ah yes lets think big regarding the banner and training centre! I will be starting off in a scout hal so have quite a few years to go yet me thinks! :D
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

When you're out and about look at Logos you like. You'll probably find the ones you do are simpler then you think and may help guide your choice :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yeah.. Not to spoil the fun of it, but the logo is there not for your esthetic enjoyment, right? Its purpose is to ultimately help generating revenue. So, while it's nice to come up with a logo that YOU like, more importantly ho have one that your potential clients will associate with. Who is your average client? Old/young, male/female, etc.. Keep that in mind... If, for example, it is kids who do the initial research - a silly cartoony stylized dog may not be a bad choice...
gwd

Post by gwd »

ladybug1802 wrote: I also like 'modern' type outlines of a dog - those kind of graphics.
i agree. i'm drawn to the more graphic style. obviously this has a cat included, but i think this style is eye catching.

dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

gwd wrote:
ladybug1802 wrote: I also like 'modern' type outlines of a dog - those kind of graphics.
i agree. i'm drawn to the more graphic style. obviously this has a cat included, but i think this style is eye catching.

Definitely agree with outlines and silhouette! This is a logo/poster for a series I watch online of a couple and their dogs who have filmed every single day of their lives for 3+ years and uploaded the videos to YouTube. It has the guy's hair, the girl's hair, a camera, and their dogs' ears.

Here are the dogs for a comparison for the ears
--dontpugme
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah fab guys! Havent seen these till just now, and those kind of outline/silhouettes are definitely what I had in mind in some way! Glad you agree! Had a meeting with graphic designer friend last night and her views are very much in line with this...we went through a few logos Id printed off the internet and we will definitely be going for simple and silhouettey!

I can totally see how cartoony would appeal to kids, but although I knoiw kids will be coming to classes with parents, I dont particulaly want to market myself to appeal to kids over adults! In my area there is quite a large housewife community, and a lot are quite well off, so the classes I run in the day will predominaately be aimed at them I imagine. Im also going to run classes in the evening which will appeal more to family/couples I think. But as much as I think its great for kids to get involved in training the dogs, and learning how is and isnt appropriate to treat the dog, I wouldnt mind if kids didnt come to my classes!! :D Of course, they will, and they will be most welcome!
minkee

Post by minkee »

My advice would be to go to a logo gallery site like these:

http://logopond.com/
http://www.logospire.com/

and pick out any ones that you like the look of, save them all to a folder, then show your designer. They do NOT have to be pet logos - they can be any of them at all. All they have to do is fall into the category of "I like this!" and it will give your designer a good idea of your tastes. They will also as you what you want to achieve with your business, and how you want to be seen (friendly? approachable? professional? established? etc) and make something that fits :)

Don't be afraid to say "I like this part, I don't like this part, can we try something with more ...." when they come back with the first round of designs - keep plugging away at it till you get it just right!

Good luck :D

[edit - just crossed posts with you - sounds like you've got it all under control :)]
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Haha thanks Minkee! Yes am quite lucky in that this friend I know through my photography club offered to do my branding for a massive discount! yay!

Then justhave to think about website and where to go for that, but one step at a time!

By the way....on first glance at the picture above (with the man anhd 2 dogs) I thought for a moment he was a member on this board and I was like, wow hello!!! Then I read the text!! :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ladybug. You should join the APDT (USA) as they run a monthly article on running your business in their bi monthly member's magazine. they are also shifting gears a bit in their mission to help members promote their businesses by providing resources, articles, ideas etc. This months article is about how to reach your intended market.

here are a couple other possible resources for you
http://dogtec.org/index.php
http://www.nicolewilde.com/store/

both those links have books on designed to help people get started in the "dog bis"

one of the top reasons people fail at starting their own business is they focus too much on their "passion" and not enough on the "boring" business side. I am sure you already understand this, but don't loose sight of it.

In addition to selling your basic services, be sure to put some time to thinking of value added services/products you can bundle or up sell or just plain sell.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah thanks Jacksdad...will have a look at those links :D

Now with the APDT (USA), I am a bit confused....can anyone just join? The APDT UK members have to have an assessment to ensure their teaching methods fits in with the ethos of the organisation, although I am going to join as a student member early next year. If I can join the USA one and get access to those resources you mentioned I will definitely do it - thank you!