Update from Kili!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Update from Kili!

Post by bendog »

Hey guys.

Just a little update from kilimanjaro. Im now on day 4 on the mountain and been up to 4600m. Loads of our group really suffered yesterday with the altitude, throwing up, collapsing etc. It was a long day, about 11 hours walking. Other days have been 7-9 hours walking. I feel pretty good, just bit of a headache but little else and I haven't yet had to go on diamox which is a drug to help with altitude symptoms.

Summit attempt will be Thursday morning (early hours) so hopefully see the sunrise from the top. It is absolutely incredible though of course I'm missing the dogs lots.

Hope you guys are all ok!
dontpugme

Re: Update from Kili!

Post by dontpugme »

We've all been rooting for you guys! :mrgreen:
--dontpugme
Erica

Post by Erica »

That sounds amazing! Hope you get to see that sunrise! :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

What an experience! And there's me feeling stiff and sore from a 20-min walk over a Dorset clifftop :oops:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

be sure to post from the summit....oh and don't forget pictures or it didn't happen :mrgreen: :twisted:

ok...joking aside. For anyone that don't know (I didn't) mount Kilimanjaro isn't any small bump in the road. according to Wikipedia it's 19,300 and something feet tall. The list of the top 100 tallest mountains in the world (also according to Wikipedia) starts at 20,000 odd feet.

Best I can find via Google Foo, by contrast the tallest mountain in England is Scafell Pike at 3200 feet.

can't wait for the next progress update.
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

JudyN wrote:What an experience! And there's me feeling stiff and sore from a 20-min walk over a Dorset clifftop :oops:
My thoughts exactly!! I'm still aching from the weekend haha! Good luck Amy, keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you :P it sounds amazing!
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Wow! :D And as Jacksdad says.. pics!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Well done Bendog - it's sounds tough :P (to say the least) forgive my ignorance but how on earth did you find internet access up the side of a mountain in Africa?????? :shock:

Like the others I'm keeping my fingers crossed for lots of pics.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well done you! from one who gets dizzy at the top of the stairs :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

I'm going to help out Amy here and show you some pics from her facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/113301605445921/

"Day 2 shira camp and can see the summit!"

"Day 4 above the clouds"

and if anyone still wants to sponsor her you can here: http://www.justgiving.com/Amys-Climbing-Kili

Good luck, Amy! :D
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Wow! What an incredible experience. I hope you continue to do well with the altitude.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
minkee

Post by minkee »

To top it all off - if walking up a mountain wasn't tricky enough, Amy chose one of the hardest routes: "I'm doing "whiskey route" (machame) one of the hardest :p"

"A Kilimanjaro climb through the Machame route is arguably the most challenging option. The day walks are longer and steeper than the others, but your extra efforts are rewarded with breathtaking views of Kibo Peak, the eternal ice fields and Kili’s scree-covered dome."
bendog

Post by bendog »

Reached summit this morning :) set off from barafu camp at 4600metres above sea level at midnight and reached summit (5895m) about 7am (walking with headtorches until sun came up). Pics will follow when I get home. We have last night in a tent tonight at 3700m, 5 hours walking to the buses tomorrow and then a night in a hotel (and the first shower for 7 days!) before flying home Saturday overnight.

For clarification Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in africa and highest freestanding mountain (eg not part of a mountain range) in the world.

WufWuf my iPhone has 3G Internet almost anywhere.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

congratulations.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

And I couldn't get a good wifi in downtown Manahttan yesterday... Something is wrong with the world :roll:
This is an awesome accomplishment, Amy!!