Update from Kili!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Update from Kili!

Post by Nettle »

WOW fantastic, well done! :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Well done!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Well done, keep your smelly socks for the dogs :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Yippee! Congratulations on this great accomplishment and experience!
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks guys. Just showered off 7 days of dust and grime. Really makes you appreciate running water, a real bed, toilets!

In a gorgeous hotel tonight, shopping and flight home tomorrow. World away from the mountain but hard as it was I wouldn't change it for the world.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

glad to hear your off the mountain safe and sound. well done and hope you took lots of pictures.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Brilliant! Well done.
bendog

Post by bendog »

There are many many many more pictures to follow once I sort them out (will probably just create a Facebook or photobucket album for those who want to see them all) but here is the all important proof that i reached the highest point in Africa. Not the most flattering photo but it was bloody cold, we hadn't washed for 5 days, and had been walking since midnight to reach the summit about 7.30am so no-one was looking brilliant.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Brilliant, I'm in awe!

Did you find it physically demanding? I suppose that's a daft question, it could hardly be a stroll in the park, but was it harder than expected? Was much of it more climbing than 'walking uphill'? I know how just a bit more uphill work than usual can get me in muscles I didn't know I had, but the hills in Dorset aren't really comparable :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

I found it ok. Many of our group struggled. Summit night is tough, equivalent to climbing Ben Nevis (about 1400m up and then down again) but in the dark, at altitude. The last 200m to Stella point are hell - like walking up a giant sand dune so physically your calves burn a little but it's mostly the lack of oxygen and the cold that are the big problem.

Rest of the trip relatively easy, some scrambling/climbing required but nothing too scary just needing to pull yourself up a ledge or two etc. You just can't predict how the altitude will affect you. 22 of 28 made the summit but a lot were then practically carried down by porters either just exhausted or sick. At least half the group threw up at least once, and everyone suffered at least a little bit - headaches, lightheadedness etc. Of the ones that didn't make the summit 3 were turned around at 5000m because one was developing signs of hypothermia, one was affected by altitude and didn't have a clue where she was or who she was, and one was close to passing out. Every break we were asked our name, date of birth, the guides name etc to prove we were still with it.

My resting heart rate on the mountain was around 90-110 bpm when normally its 60-70bpm and that was whilst resting, just coz your working harder to try and get oxygen to your brain and muscles.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

Congratulations! Wow, the scenery looks beautiful. I can only imagine how amazing it must feel to make such a huge accomplishment. Well done!
bendog

Post by bendog »

One of the guys on the trip put together a little promo vid if anyones interested. I'm not really featured in it. But it's worth watching

http://youtu.be/7scW53LwrhU
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I'm a little late to the party, but congrats on your accomplishment! Sounds like an amazing experience! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks

Few photos if anyones interested:

Image (Thats Mt Meru in the background. Another biggish mountain)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

amazing pictures. thanks for sharing.