"cherry eye", ever heard of it?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sweetsangria

"cherry eye", ever heard of it?

Post by sweetsangria »

Supposedly its common in puppies. (our Gingerbread is 12 weeks, a rescued mutt that looks to be an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix) I had never heard of it before. OMG, yesterday it looked like Ginger's right eye was going to pop out! it was red and ballooned. The vet took one look and said its cherry eye. I wiki'd it too. Apparently the only way to fix it is by surgery. Or it can go away on its own, and yesterday afternoon it did. No idea what causes it. I hope it doesn't come back, it freaked us out!!! Vet said just watch it over the next few days. I really really hope she doesn't need surgery. Otherwise she is in good health. She didn't seem bothered by it.

anyone here have any experience with this?
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Not had experience but have heard the term - I am led to believe it is something like a prolapse of the third eyelid? Not sure about it being common in puppies (I have a beagle and read it can affect beagles and droopy-eyed breeds of dogs more commonly).

I think it can be 'fixed' by a stitch to hold the eyelid in place to prevent it popping out again?

Sure more experienced posters, or your vet? will be more help

x
pashmutt

Post by pashmutt »

We get a lot of dogs in at the shelter with cherry eye. It is a prolapse of the gland of the third eye lid, so it looks like a big pink/red swelling coming from the corner of the eye. It is treated by stitching it back into position. We also put in triple antibiotic ointment while waiting for surgery. It can happen in dogs of any age but is more common in breeds with prominent or protuding eyes.
Hope Ginger doesnt get it back!