Irresponsible

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wilkie

Irresponsible

Post by Wilkie »

Why does irresponsible behavior get praised?

Ukrainian Dog Has Amazing Parkour Skills
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/animal- ... our-skills

Why bring your dog if you know it's dangerous? You force the dog to do dangerous activities and then you have the audacity to leave the dog behind. Don’t bring your dog if you don’t value an animal’s life. Society is becoming so heartless.

Man faces animal cruelty charge after abandoning dog on mountain
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/ma ... ories.html
Suzette

Re: Irresponsible

Post by Suzette »

Wilkie wrote: Society is becoming so heartless.
I appreciate your take on this, and how upsetting stories like this can be to those of us to love and value dogs. But I feel there will always be thoughtless, heartless people out there. Always have been, always will be. But I don't think we're generally any more heartless than we ever were, it's just that we tend to write about/read about the bad far more than we do the good that people do. And thanks to the internet, it's so much easier and quicker to spread bad news, it creates the illusion of things being far worse than they are.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I agree Suzette, I think it's just human nature to spread the bad news and as you said,now a days news can be spread faster then ever before and wider. Once upon a time we wouldn't have known what was happening on the other side of our country never mind the rest of the world.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
elisa

Post by elisa »

I don't get what is wrong with the parkour dog. Only the fact that it seems dangerous? Or did I miss something? It don't think you could force a dog to run around like that and in a way it is not so different from agility or the crazy jumps they do in dog frisbee. At least the dog seems to be having fun. Though the guy does not say what method he uses for training. But I don't think the activity in itself warrants blaming the guy for being irresponsible and heartless.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I am with Elisa.. thought was a pretty amazing video or parkour dog, dog having a good time, and a very creative way to exercise the dog, something that leaves both proud and happy. I will give this a bit more thought, perhaps I will find a way to teach Ari a couple of parkour moves?

I actually found this rather responsible - finding an urban setting to practice without people around. Doing this with strangers everywhere would have been irresponsible, like having any kind of off leash dog on a crowded street..

As was the other story - yeah, one guy left his dog up there, but a bunch of strangers went and brought her back! How's that not a caring and involved society? Well... One can find examples to illustrate any point, but to me both those articles were actually positive - a dude finding creative way to exercise his dog, a bunch of strangers rescuing an abandoned dog in the mountains.. This is good stuff!! :lol:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

I agree with Ari and Elisa about parkour dog..fiance and I saw this video the other night and we thought it was awesome and we were talking about how one could get a dog to do that kind of stuff. I think it shows quite the opposite, that the owner and the dog have a good relationship and the dog can trust the owner enough to do these kinds of jumps, etc. Obviously the owner has put a lot of time and effort into building such a relationship.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Yep, I loved it too, a few of us on here use the environment to do training and tricks but that is in another league ... gave me some ideas though :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

little confused as to what was wrong with the parkour dog. I agree there is some risk to what the dog is doing, but ALL dog sports are like that. heck walking down the street is risky. maybe I am missing something.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Maybe it depends on the dog, and the environment - much of what the dog does is on his own initiative, apparently, so he could choose to jump over a low wall not realising there is a long drop on the other side. If Jasper took it into his head to try parkour, he'd be coming back to me with a broken leg in no time at all. I'd also worry about the impact of long jumps on to hard ground. But then his legs are long enough that he can get them in a tangle just cornering at speed.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Parkour dog looks like he's enjoying himself to me :? I'm not sure you could actually force a dog to do that sort of thing, not without completely different body language to what he's showing anyway. Sure there's some risk to it but there's a risk to everything in life and quite honestly I'd rather see a happy, healthy looking dog doing something like this than a dog bored to tears because nobody bothers to do anything with it.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

jacksdad wrote:little confused as to what was wrong with the parkour dog. I agree there is some risk to what the dog is doing, but ALL dog sports are like that. heck walking down the street is risky. maybe I am missing something.
Parkour is not a dog sport, it is a human sport. As for comments like, "walking down the street is dangerous." First of all, no one walks down the street looking for danger. No one walks out into the street with the intent of having a vehicle plow through them. Not mentally stable people at least. That is the difference between every day living and going out and making stupid decisions and looking for trouble. If you want to go out and be an adrenaline junky and possibly end up dead or paralyzed, fine, but don't force animals into the madness. It is forcing animals because dogs learn from people, they trust you to look out for them, not put them in harms way so you can make an awesome video and brag to your friends about all the things your dog can do. That is my point of this topic.

What's next, seeing if dogs can fly by constructing wings and getting them to jump off of the roof? "Why not, the dog looks like it's having fun on the roof. There are risks in life. People can get injured walking down the street." See how that sounds insane? Why is it illegal to let animals run loose in cars? Why is it illegal to put a dog in the back of a pickup truck whether it's in a carrier, running loose or tied up? Why is it illegal to allow animals to sit on your lap while driving? Why is it considered animal cruelty to let your dog stick its head out of the window of a moving vehicle? What about animals riding on motorcycles? What about having windows without screens on upper floors? All of these are major safety hazards that could kill or seriously injure animals. Why put them at risk just so you can enjoy life. I see no point in taking in animals if they will only be used as toys or for someone to run around bragging. It's the same as guys showing off their brand new shiny car. They want to show buddies what that car can do. Is it really a smart thing to do? What happens when they have a friend in the car with them? That is a whole different scenerio as oppose to driving to the grocery store.
Last edited by Wilkie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wes

Post by Wes »

That staffy looked like he was having a blast. No different in my eyes than a dog doing agility. It's clear he did not pick crowded or high-traffic areas to shoot the video, so I see nothing wrong with the vid.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

If you want more fuel for your rant there are already dogs who go surfing, scuba diving and sky diving.

I really fail to see what's so irresponsible about getting a dog to jump up on, over, through and under things that you think its owners heartless, irresponsible morons. Do you feel that way about people who do agility too?
bendog

Post by bendog »

I thought the parkour was awesome! Makes my own efforts at similar look pathetic haha. I don't see it as any different to agility really, yes agility dogs get injured from time to time, but done properly it's a lot of fun for dog and owner. What about people (like nettle) who hunt with their dogs. That is surely dangerous, even rats can give a nasty bite. But the dogs enjoy it too. And you cannot say that people who do agility with their dogs, or hunt with them don't love their dogs even if putting them at risk. Yes there's probably some joint strain/damage long term, but if not done excessively it's ok. As Sarah said there are skateboarding dogs, surfing dogs, army dogs are certainly taking part in dangerous activities.

The mountain one is bad judgement. People do this all the time. I am taking my dogs mountain next week. Yes it's a risk, but rather they have a day out with me than a day stuck at home. My dogs are small enough for me to carry them down if need be. If they werent and they couldn't continue I'd probably get mountain rescue out. If I had my little brother with me though, he would be priority and i would leave the dogs if I had to (comfortably somewhere sheltered) to get my brother down safely and them come back for the dogs.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I have to admit, I didn't look at the link before I posted my response, which wouldn't have mattered really, because what I wrote was a comment regarding my take on the op's heartless comment. :wink: Having said that, I also agree that I have no problem with the parkour once I looked at the link. That dog looked like he was having the time of his life. It did make me catch my breath every now and then with some of the things he was doing, but he seemed no worse for wear. I'm not sure you could get a dog that didn't love that kind of high flying action to even do it if he didn't really enjoy it.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11