This is getting ridiculous

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

This is getting ridiculous

Post by Sarah83 »

I've said before that I'm surrounded by dominance enthusiasts but I'm beginning to think fanatics might be a more appropriate description. I think I may just leave all the groups I'm a part of and save myself the hassle and stress. This last week I've seen some really bizarre things put down to dogs being dominant and some odd stuff you've got to do to show them who's boss.

Firstly, pulling on leash. Apparently I need to claim the space in front of Spencer to stop him moving into it and let him know it's mine. Okay, now I can see how this would stop him pulling coz let's face it, if I'm constantly leaping in front of him he's either going to get his paws stomped on, kneed in the face, fallen on or otherwise hurt isn't he? But how the hell would you even begin to carry it out without getting yourself or your dog killed by leaping (or falling) into the road? And why not just use a much easier method that doesn't involve dominance in any way, shape or form?

Separation anxiety. Yes, for those of you who didn't know it separation anxiety is a dominance behaviour. It's simply the dog having a tantrum in order to demand that its "pack" stay where it wants them. Much rushing back into the room and yelling loudly is needed. Along with the usual methods of ensuring your dominance over your dog of course.

Aggression towards other dogs. Again, it's all down to dominance. What you should be doing is harsh collar corrections for every reaction and forcing the dog to get closer and closer to other dogs. Along with usual methods of ensuring your dominance of course!

Chewing, all down to spite. Please assert your dominance over your dog immediately.

Lack of recall, clearly you are not a good enough leader and your dog has no need to listen to you. And you should be correcting the hell out of him when you get hold of him! Goes without saying that you should also be doing all the other ridiculous things that ensure your dog knows you're the dominant one.

Honest to god, it's getting bloody stupid. Even a dog not eating has been put down to the dog being freaking dominant and controlling its owners by refusing food! I feel like I'm stuck in some bizarre alternate reality or something :shock: I've honestly never come across so much bull sh*t in my life as I have the last few months. No real point to this thread, just a rant somewhere where I know people will understand. I've nabbed a certain white toothed trainers books off someone to have a read through and see whether that's where all this is coming from but I've read a couple of them before and don't recall him being quite that fanatical about dominance.
minkee

Re: This is getting ridiculous

Post by minkee »

:lol: I love the idea that dogs are starting to do a peaceful protests by going on hunger strike. But will their tyrannical overlords get the message?

Sorry to laugh, but like you say it really is ridiculous, and if you don't laugh you've got to cry :cry:

I'm so pleased to have this forum. It really is a safe haven where you don't have to contend with backwards ideas. I'm very grateful to the people that try to spread the message further afield, but I don't think I could deal with having to read about it day in day out.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Twits :roll:

Someone I know was told that their recall issues were because they let the dog sleep on their bed.

It's all so easy, isn't it? Spot a behaviour you don't like, assume it's because of dominance, and then invent your reasons. It's similar to how creationists explain away fossils by saying it's God's way of testing us. If you use that sort of argument, anything can be explained by your theory and then you begin to believe it provides evidence for and proof of the theory.

So often, similar behaviours in different dogs have different causes (eg fear aggression or more bullying aggression; jumping up out of happiness and enthusiasm and jumping up out of overarousal), and therefore need completely different approaches. But that would involve really looking at your dog and thinking about what exactly is going on. So much easier just to shout or reach for the prong collar :evil:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

It does get a bit ridiculous doesn't it?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I still like the suggestion to spread baby's poop on the walls and on the ceiling to show the dog that the baby is a higher ranking member of the pack.. Leave the poop there for a month, that'll show the dog its place!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

JudyN wrote:Twits :roll:
It's all so easy, isn't it? Spot a behaviour you don't like, assume it's because of dominance, and then invent your reasons. It's similar to how creationists explain away fossils by saying it's God's way of testing us. If you use that sort of argument, anything can be explained by your theory and then you begin to believe it provides evidence for and proof of the theory.
As a Christian, and therefore a creationist, I have to say that this isn't what the majority of us believe at all, nor is it what is taught in a Biblical church. It would actually be more accurate to state some creationists explain away. . .

There are always fringe elements in all groups (which are the minority in those groups, but for some reason, folks tend to quote them most of the time) and we shouldn't be lumped into their misinformed mindset. :D

Makes me wonder if we're not seeing the same thing with dominance theory followers. We mostly hear from (and therefore quote) the few that are on the fringe and go so overboard in their misinformed beliefs.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

What about "My dog met my friends two dogs and kept trying to hump the male dog, it's the most anxious I've ever seen my dog"

Advice, it's not anxiety it's excitement, get your friend's dog's anal glands expressed 4 times then get both dogs neutered. Then when your dog goes to hump squirt bitter apple / lemon juice in his mouth, get him to sit then reward him :shock: I'm summarising obviously but still.

Seems extreme when the friend could just smear dog poo on the wall? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Suzette wrote:As a Christian, and therefore a creationist, I have to say that this isn't what the majority of us believe at all, nor is it what is taught in a Biblical church. It would actually be more accurate to state some creationists explain away. . .
My apologies :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I live in this world too and it's frustrating, it's so nice to be able to come here and know I'm not alone. This forum never fails to remind me of just how amazing people can be. To read about people trying so hard for their dogs (and cats dare I say?) just warms my heart every day.

To be fair I came from this world and sometimes it feels like I must've been a different person to buy this crazy talk . It's just too easy to explain everything away and not have to really think about it or learn the real meaning behind the behaviour. These people make you feel like it's all because you aren't awesome enough to be a pack leader and if you were all your dogs problems would just disappear. It was the dogs that taught me the truth and for that I'm so grateful. The relationship that I have with my dog is so far beyond what they could even imagine. Once Honey learned that she could communicate with us without punishment her behaviour came on beyond what I ever dreamed possible.

I had a little look at CM's site recently and he commented that his latest pit role model (who he raised from a pup) was fighting and being a bully. I have to say my first thought was "oh are you not a good pack leader then" :twisted: :lol: I also didn't find any mention on the site of "because wolves do it" which I thought was interesting considering that's a huge part of what he used to preach when I believed the hype.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh I used to follow the whole dominance thing myself. I just don't remember it being quite so ridiculous :?
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

What about the theory that you are supposed to mount dogs in order to insert dominance, that's another favorite :lol:
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

I just thank god that ive never believed in that dominance rubbish , to me training and raising a dog is about common sense , much as it is for raising a child ... you get far more from love and affection whilst being firm and fair than any other method

sadly it seems common sense is lacking in both some dog owners and parents these days :(
HuXen

Post by HuXen »

Oh dear :D The hunger strike part had me laugh out loud. It's so shockingly moronic.

I was once approached by a guy in a local park whilst walking Pica, with his severely overweight Labrador. He asked me if I was going away any time soon as he was a dog sitter and needed new business. Now, lets ignore the fact that this is extremely dodgy, unprofessional and down right creepy. I can understand mentioning your a dog sitter once you've already struck up a conversation with someone, giving a business card etc, but to actually seek people out and basically just say 'Hi, not met you before, but can I look after your dog for 2 weeks?' is a bit...off putting to say the least.

Anyways, he then went on to say how he'll look after a maximum of 10 dogs at a time, and how his dog will be the pack leader, and if any get out of place he'll show them where their place is.

I kindly (kind of...) told him never in a million years.

Some people's attitudes with dogs is just down right scary upsetting. I hope to god no one actually trusts him with their animal.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Ha. I have been approached in a similar way by a dog walker/trainer, who saw me walking with Ari and ran over to us across the street to offer services. "Hello!! Hello!! Nice dog you have!! Do you have a second?!"

But Ari is not a fan of people running over towards us.

The guy actually turned out to be quite perceptive - heard the growl, saw ridgeback's teeth showing, and wisely chose not to come any closer and just left his business card on the sidewalk. Maybe he was a very good dog walker with poor sales skills, who knows.