Puppy Loosing lots of hair

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

Puppy Loosing lots of hair

Post by Bingles »

I have been called upon again to ask a question for my sis in law.

She has a pom JR and is worried about her fur falling out. She has been asking me about Bingles fur this long time and if I found it a problem which I have not and she said her puppys hair is falling out a lot. She is not thining yet but she thinks she is moulting (sp) too much. I told her to get grooming her which she did and se said a lot of hair came out but still after that it continued, She also said that she can see what looks like human dandruff in her fur. She has made an appointment to see the vet on Sat but do you think she needs to see the vet or is this normal?

BTW the puppy is about 8 months if that makes a diff, :)
Me and my dogs

Post by Me and my dogs »

She should see a vet just to rule out demodectic mange ( http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html ). It's not contagious to humans and can be managed w/ oral meds or regular dips (or both - I know at the shelter I'm at we usually give cephalexin and sometimes Ivermectin as well)

It could be some kind of allergy as well.

What's she using for flea control?

What are the ingrediants in her dog's food?

There are a lot of things it could be but it's best to see a vet now.
The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. ~Eleanore Roosevelt
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Puppy might have a problem, or might just be changing to an adult coat.

A vet check for parasites would be a good idea, and if all-clear, there are changes that can be made in diet and general maintenance for coat care.

S in L should also have a chat with the breeder, who will know better than anyone how much is too much for that particular breed.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Poms have a lot of fur, it may be just changing to adulthood and loosing the winter. I have a short coated dog who moults all year and I don't even have central heating! :roll:
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

I don't want to worry the OP but Poms do suffer from genetic hair loss:-

http://www.pommania.co.uk/blackskindisease.htm

I guess some vets may not be aware of it , so it might be worth mentioning, even if only to rule it out.

Pam