Favourite Dog Breed

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Favourite Dog Breed

Post by bendog »

Was just wondering what peoples favourite dogs were.

Either - breeds you already own and love,
breeds you would love to own "one day",
or breeds you admire from afar but would never have yourself?

Personally - I adore my terriers, but would love a BigDog one day, just for the change. I adore lurchers (scruffy ones of course), but I also quite fancy a German Shepherd, or Belgian Shepherd some day. Or even a Rottie.

I like the fact my terriers are all different breeds - I probably wouldn't get another Border Terrier whilst Ben is alive for example. Even once he's gone I'm not sure I could have another, even though they are cracking dogs, because it would be too much like replacing him. If I did get another it would be a blue and tan, so as not to look so similar.

I love the wolf looking dogs - Huskies, Malamutes, Samoyds - but wouldn't have one myself.
Nor could I have a dog that needs a lot of grooming.
Wes

Re: Favourite Dog Breed

Post by Wes »

I love terriers, particularly APBTs. Would I own another? Probably, though I wouldn't want one with another dog. I would definitely own another Doberman and while I love Remy, I'll probably stay away from herding breeds in the future. I also love Leonbergers, I just couldn't keep up with the shedding.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I can't imagine not wanting a lurcher, or at least a sighthound. I could be tempted by a whippet, though. Before we got Jasper I was convinced I only liked rough-coated dogs but now I've met so many beautiful smooth sighthounds I wouldn't rule one out. I quite fancy a saluki as well, but worry about recall as at least Jasper's hunting instinct is tempered by his clinginess and I know he'll be back fairly soon. Salukis tend to be on the independent side, and not so trainable. You ask 'sit', and they ask 'why?' :lol:

I used to love beardies and Tibetan terriers, but seeing the state my friends' beardies get into on wet muddy days I've changed my mind. I suppose that rules out Afghan hounds, too, though I love them for their sheer over-the-top 1970s style big hair, flamboyance and general ridiculousness :lol: I even like Chinese cresteds because they are just so cute, like miniature ponies.

I couldn't manage a dog that was on the go all the time, like a springer, though wouldn't rule out a puppy as I'd know the really hard work wouldn't last for ever.

Dogs I'd reject out of hand are slobbery ones, ones with lots of folds of skin, and ones with faces that look like they've run into a brick wall and aren't very happy about it. Otherwise, assuming I was looking for a rescue, I would be looking at the individual dog rather than the breed. Oh yes, and OH refuses to consider a dog whose tail curls up over its back as he doesn't want to have to look at its bum all the time :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

I too love my terriers and have a soft spot for the woolley / scruffy ones - bedlingtons, welsh terriers, wirey parsons and jrts and of course fox terriers. would i get another wire in the future? - absolutely - I'm smitten.

Breeds i like but probably wouldnt get - lurcher, greyhound types..

In the future i'd love a smooth fox terrier or a parsons - but have to say my dream dog is a border collie ..we had one growing up and she was an amazing girl..maybe one day .. :)
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

I love any herding breed, Border collies, Australian shepherds, and English shepherds are my favorite; and I will always have herding breeds and their mixes. I also have a soft spot for Boxers, that was the breed of my first dog. One day I hope to have another Boxer (bendog, I could not get another Boxer after mine passed and, though I want another someday, I honestly don't know if I ever will because it will feel like replacing her).

Breeds I admire from a far are giant breeds, I would love a Newfoundland I have always admired that breed but don't think I will ever get a large dog. I also love the Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, the Kelpie, and sighthounds.
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

I've always had a soft spot for Border Terriers. I can't fault them. I've had three, and three completely different characters.

I'm now a MASSIVE fan of Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

What kind of dog would I most like to own? Sounds terribly boring, but I think I'm already there. I've been fortunate enough to buy my dogs by my own free choice, and don't have there merest hint of any regret.

May sound a bit weird, but if and when I find myself 'dogless', and it comes to us all doesn't it, I have this odd notion to foster a dog. A big, 'problem' dog who's had a hard time, and never been treated very well. Provided I was having success reforming a more sociable character(for the dog's sake rather than mine), I reckon I would really enjoy winning his (or her) trust and bringing a little happiness into their lives. My middle terrier was a little bit like that, and it changed her somehow. It's not gratitude, but there's a deeper kind of trust. She wasn't clingy at all, but she wouldn't go for a walk with anybody else but me, not eat unless it was me who fed her. She was a funny little dog, but in ways it's hard to describe. Very intuitive, but a pretty hopeless mouser, bless her. I can't fault my Pippin at all. He's a bit feisty, but then he's supposed to be, but he's a bullet proof little fella. If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, he'd be fine about it - after a while to adjust. Nikki on the other hand had a vulnerable side to her. I reckoned she would really have missed me and been a bit lost.

Odin is a bit like that too. He likes to know where I am all the time. He's fine, don't get me wrong, but you see little looks now and again and you know he's not quite as emotionally bulletproof as young Pippin. He's got a sensitive side. Wherever I am in the yard and wherever he is, fast asleep or not, it doesn't mater. When I reach the gate, he's there at my heels every time.
jilldiane

Post by jilldiane »

Sighthounds are my `thing` can`t imagine not owning one type or another. My preference is for smooth haired lurchers but wouldn`t reject a hairy :D. I think the same as you JudyN love saluki`s but not sure I could live with one, I don`t know why I think that really seeing as I have Podencos (think Ibizan hound-ish) you can`t get a much more prey driven, " you want me to sit for a poxy sausage! why would I wanna do that" :lol: kind of dog but I adore them and would not be without them.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I am looking forward to having my secret dream come true one day (don't tell my dearest OH or beloved neighbors!! :lol: ) - bringing home another Ridgeback.. A puppy-girl this time.

I am completely taken by their personality. Just like Flyby said - there is a soft and sensitive side behind the rugged appearance of a "lion hunter", which is just so incredibly touching when it shows itself.

But if not... I meet many different dogs these days, and I must say I have developed some fondness of Bouviers and Great Danes, although admittedly I don't know much about either breed .. Just happened to know some lovely dogs.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

JudyN wrote:
Dogs I'd reject out of hand are slobbery ones, ones with lots of folds of skin, and ones with faces that look like they've run into a brick wall and aren't very happy about it.
Awww, I love a dog with lots of skin! I agree with you about the slobber and the mushed-face though! I love the look of my boxer..she has more of a pit bull face, hardly any slobber, but lots of extra skin everywhere... :lol:

I don't think I could ever have a dog smaller than Neo-sized (55 pounds). I get along fine with small dogs, but I guess I like living with my big girls, even if they are bed-hogs and eat too much. I would love to rescue a pit bull someday (after the girls are gone of course..hands are more than full with these two). I've just always loved the pit bull personality and I would love to show a side of them that a lot of people never see. Fiancee already has his "dream dog"..he wanted a Ridgeback for as long as he's known about them and now that we have Neo I wonder if he'd like to take that decision back.. :lol: I would also love to have another boxer, although I might change my mind when I lose Abby..I will probably feel like no dog will ever be as wonderful as she is.

Long story short, a big dog, pit bull, boxer, maybe a Rhodesian rescue someday. I know for sure I'll never have another puppy, no matter what the breed!!! :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'm with you there, re: puppies, Abbyneo! :lol:

German Shepherds are GREAT - love 'em to bits. <3
Pit bull-types, the people-loving-ness, strong but small (compared to, say, Ami and Zeus) build, and their big fat smiles...I also really really love bold markings, and it's quite easy to find brindles or dogs with large amounts of white in pit-bull types. ;) Of course, physical appearance comes second to personality in deciding if a dog is a good fit, and I wouldn't turn down a great dog because she was all tan.
Poodles, I think - haven't really met any for long myself, but from what I hear they're intelligent (I know the pitfalls that come with intelligent dogs, and having worked with smart and slow dogs, I can say I really REALLY prefer smart dogs). I also really love corded poodles' looks...super stunning.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks - not sure if our personalities would be a match, but they're the right size and shape and I love their swirly backs. :) I'd definitely have to do more research before committing to one, though.
Catahoula Leopard dogs - Before Marble, I just knew they were pretty. If all of them are this food-driven and smart, though, they would be really great to train and live with. And merle is SO PRETTY, and blue, green, and gold eyes? Wow!
Chihuahuas, Papillons, and Pomeranians are dogs I'd look into if I were physically unable to handle a larger dog, and possibly even beforehand. I've recently lost a lot of my prejudice against little dogs. :P
Schnauzers, possibly - like Ridgebacks, I'm not sure of the breed's general personality, but their little faces are adorable. :)
Airedale Terrier - again, would have to check on personality, but I love their looks.
Golden Retrievers have also seemed appealing. Lovely coats and sweet personalities....
Chinese Cresteds are pretty neat-looking, too. (My younger sister, who LOVES Sphynx cats, thinks CCs are weird. :P )
Pharoah Hounds are gorgeous as well!

I doubt I will ever get a dog that outweighs me; it was at that point that stopping Zeus from charging (deer, squirrels, and guinea hens are REALLY STUPID) became really difficult and unpleasant, as opposed to just annoying.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a breed or two, but these are the ones that I thought of. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Pointy skinny sighthound types for me :D though I have a soft spot for Rhodie Ridgebacks, and would have loved to have had a bedlington terrier.

I can't be doing with slobber, so that rules out a whole host of breeds, and I wouldn't own a frantic, busy dog.

I work with all types, and appreciate them all - but for dogs to live with, I already have what I love.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'd say Labs are probably my perfect breed in everything except looks. They just don't appeal to me visually but I can live with that, looks are less important than other things.

Appearance wise, large, scruffy dogs with impressive eyebrows and beards. I'd love a Wolfhound one day but not sure the breed would suit me temperament wise. Hubby says he wants a German Shepherd but he finds Spens energy, intelligence and desire to be with you all the time hard to deal with so I don't see how a GSD is his ideal breed :?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I can't say I have a favorite breed as I like all breeds, even mix breeds, of dogs.Image The reason why is that it isn't the breed of dog that makes it favorable, it is the individuality or personality of the dog and what it has to offer which is saying quite a lot, because of the benefits that are so advantageous to all of us humans. :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
elisa

Post by elisa »

I totally love my sprollie. I always wanted a border collie, but I love the silly side the spaniel brings to the mix. Though I admit the hunting/jumping into bushes from the springer side is a bit crazy sometimes.

Generally I like dogs to just look like dogs. No extreme stuff like short noses or legs or overly long ears or hair or super big or very small.

As for breeds I "secretly" admire.
First is bearded collie. I love the shagginess, but I would not like to deal with all that hair. I think their hair grows too long in the current breed so maybe just another shaggy sheepdog breed or such. Like a Pyrenean or Catalan sheepdog.
Then Yorkshire terries. :) (Though I admit I'm likely not a terrier person.) I think it is the same shagginess as with the bearded collie and same problem with too long hair in the end. Maybe when I'm old and can't keep up with bigger dogs I'll get something like one.

And I am beginning to see why people like sight hounds but will maybe always admire from afar.
The best friend of Ansa the sprollie since autumn 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnsaTheSprollie
Train with your brain. :)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

don't know if I have a favorite breed or not. I know I have preferences, but favorite...hummm not sure.

However, for my next dog when the sun sets on Jack's "day", I am thinking Jindo. I am running into more of these intriguing dogs, 3 others in my town alone. which doesn't sound like a lot, but is considering no one really knows about them outside the korean communities. They come from the Korean island of Jindo. They are a hunting spitz breed, one of the older breeds, and were used to hunt with. Unlike some hunting breads they don't just retrieve or find the game, they also take it down in place of the human using rifles or arrows for example...at least that seems to be the case from what I have been able to find so far.

Very little is known about them in the US. A lot of what you find doesn't have that feel of experience/authority about their personality and training needs. I would LOVE to take some of these "facts" on US site head on and prove/disprove them, example they are stubborn and need a firm hand (see dominance theory when reading that) and that they can't ever be let off leash are just a couple.

Shiba Inu or border collie might be options as well.